U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:23 PM

406 posts, read 504,633 times

Advertisements

Watched the NHL awards this evening. I thought the voters were off on a few, but oh well. Just a list of the winners and who I thought should have won:

Hart Trophy(Corey Perry)
My choice- Corey Perry

Selke(Ryan Kesler)
My choice- Ryan Kesler

Norris(Nicklas Lidstrom)
My choice- Zdeno Chara

Jack Adams(Dan Bylsma)
My choice- Alain Vigneault

Calder(Jeff Skinner)
My choice- Jeff Skinner

Masterton(Ian Laperriere)
My choice- Ray Emery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 10:44 PM

10,910 posts, read 23,213,925 times
I have to say I am proud of my team (The Vancouver Canucks) we did quite well at the NHL awards.

but you can see the hurt of not winning the cup still stings but congrats to boston and well lets hope that this year stanley cup finals was a practice run and next year we win the cup and Go! Canucks Go!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:32 AM

88 posts, read 103,280 times
Was surprised @ Lidstrom. How the hell does a guy on a playoff team with a MINUS rating, win the Norris?

Old 06-24-2011, 06:59 AM

13,117 posts, read 19,982,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces74 View Post
Was surprised @ Lidstrom. How the hell does a guy on a playoff team with a MINUS rating, win the Norris?
A minus rating is meaningless. He's still the best at what he does even if he's not quite what he used to be. If I were picking teams, I would take him before I could pick Chara or Weber. This might be the last year I would say that though.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:30 AM

5,116 posts, read 4,635,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces74 View Post
The entire Detroit Red Wings team is usually on the Plus side of the Plus/Minus rating but last season about half the team was Minus. Lidstrom picked up a lot of minuses from playing behind front lines that weren't playing good defense.

More importantly, this could have been the last year to vote for Lidstrom (but now it turns out he'll be back) - don't discount the sentimental favorite vote.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:03 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,731,005 times
Happy for Bylsma... he did SO much with so little....

Old 06-24-2011, 12:56 PM

23,777 posts, read 65,922,095 times
The Norris Trophy is for the best scorer among d-men, I think.
Mark Howe, for example scored 82 points and had +85 in 1986.
If he can't win with that +/- rating, no one can.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:02 PM

406 posts, read 504,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
The Norris Trophy is for the best scorer among d-men, I think.
Mark Howe, for example scored 82 points and had +85 in 1986.
If he can't win with that +/- rating, no one can.

Norris is for best defenseman.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
A minus rating is meaningless. He's still the best at what he does even if he's not quite what he used to be. If I were picking teams, I would take him before I could pick Chara or Weber. This might be the last year I would say that though.
Minus rating isn't meaningless. He's on the ice, it's not like he's on the bench.

By Niklas Lidstrom standards, this was a sub-par year.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
The entire Detroit Red Wings team is usually on the Plus side of the Plus/Minus rating but last season about half the team was Minus. Lidstrom picked up a lot of minuses from playing behind front lines that weren't playing good defense.

More importantly, this could have been the last year to vote for Lidstrom (but now it turns out he'll be back) - don't discount the sentimental favorite vote.
I think the sentimental part is the issue that should be taken with it. Come on, the guy has a ton of hardware. He was probably the 4th best of the guys with a shot to win it, legitimately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey