U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2011, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
17,032 posts, read 26,912,895 times
Reputation: 16190

Advertisements

ATL doesnt deserve another NHL team. Its a bad sports city, for 'white' sports at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2011, 06:38 PM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,585,013 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
ATL doesnt deserve another NHL team. Its a bad sports city, for 'white' sports at least.
Do you not read, oil dog? I have posted everything about the Thrashers above.

Stop with the garbage myth about Atlanta being a bad sports town. It's unfounded and is the result of anti-Atlanta Bob Costas, or some other sports reporter, bashing Atlanta because of a non-sellout for a DAY TIME, 1PM, WEEKDAY NLDS game, when everyone was at work or school. Meanwhile, the other teams had NIGHT-TIME games. Even then, Atlanta only was short of a sellout by a few thousand.

The Braves were in the top 4 in attendance every year from 1992-1999. Since, they've ranged from being in the top 8 to being as low as number 16 (one year), in a thirty league team. That is not a bad sports town.

The Falcons have had sellout after sellout. You have to go back to the early or mid 90s when the Falcons struggled to sell out games.

The Thrashers had higher attendance than Chicago and New Jersey on various seasons. Stop talking of things of which you don't know.

The Thrashers left because the ownership destroyed the team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,204,001 times
Reputation: 2489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
ATL doesnt deserve another NHL team. Its a bad sports city, for 'white' sports at least.
Ouch! Borderline racist comment. Doesn't Atlanta host Car Racing? It doesn't get too much whiter than that. I'm white and it's a little too hillbilly for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
4,969 posts, read 7,328,713 times
Reputation: 1722
Heard that ASG has sold the Hawks in principle.....if that's the case, maybe the new ownership will be cool about relocating Phoenix, Florida or even Columbus.....or they'll accept a another owner bringing a team there.....
ASG wanted the Thrashers out, at least the 2 partners, who wound up keeping the team, thanks to the lawsuit. The guy who was forced out, was the only one who cared about hockey...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 11:40 PM
 
Location: southwestern USA
1,815 posts, read 1,763,438 times
Reputation: 2396
I believe the jist of the thread should Canadian nhl fans root for Atlanta to get another team implies that since two Atlanta nhl teams have already relocated to Canada, another expansion team would inevitably again leave Atlanta---for a Canadian location.

I am not anti Atlanta------just doesnt seem to a great sports town-----hockey is toast in Atlanta----the Hawks draw sparse crowds-----the braves draw well during the regular season and not well in the playoffs------the Falcons have a hot and cold past.

Maybe the younger crowd has too much going on in Buckhead and too many distractions to go to sporting events------any thoughts from Atlantans as to why the city is not a great sports town???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,133 posts, read 20,854,697 times
Reputation: 8293
If anything the NHL should have learned better than to put another team in Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2011, 04:44 AM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,585,013 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
If anything the NHL should have learned better than to put another team in Atlanta
Neither of which was due to attendance issues.

In both instances, it was the result of things out of control of the fans. I'd think that you'd realize that. However, it's easier to pile on Atlanta, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2011, 04:55 AM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,585,013 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I believe the jist of the thread should Canadian nhl fans root for Atlanta to get another team implies that since two Atlanta nhl teams have already relocated to Canada, another expansion team would inevitably again leave Atlanta---for a Canadian location.

I am not anti Atlanta------just doesnt seem to a great sports town-----hockey is toast in Atlanta----the Hawks draw sparse crowds-----the braves draw well during the regular season and not well in the playoffs------the Falcons have a hot and cold past.

Maybe the younger crowd has too much going on in Buckhead and too many distractions to go to sporting events------any thoughts from Atlantans as to why the city is not a great sports town???
The Falcons have consistently had sell-outs since the mid 90s, with a couple game exceptions during the transitional Jim Mora era. That's a good sports town.

The Hawks are the hot and cold team, not the Falcons. The Hawks were the draw in the 80s. Today, most white people don't desire to see them, given its location downtown, and the fact that a white person would be heavily outnumbered at a game. Many fear for their safety. Just the facts. If you'll notice a television cast of the Hawks, unlike other NBA teams, looking into the stands looks like a sea of black faces, with a few whites in the mix.

The Braves had a couple, DAY TIME, 1PM, WEEKDAY NLDS (first round) games, short of a sell-out by a few thousand fans, and people like you say, "Atlanta can't sell out its playoffs. It's a bad sports town". The fact is that when those games were scheduled, no other city, to the best of my knowledge, had to endure such a ridiculous schedule. Other cities had their games at night, or if there was a day game, it was on the weekend. Who can get to a game when they have obligations to work and school? Certainly that is going to effect the attendance. Any night or weekend game for a Braves playoff game has been sold out. Every one. Since Bob Costas, or whichever reporter, slammed Atlanta for not being sold out, despite the fact that most other cities would likely have endured the same thing with such a horrible start time, and the fact that they had night games, bandwagoners have been repeating the garbage that "Atlanta is a bad sports town". It's nothing more than a myth. The fact is, Atlanta is a mediocre sports town at worst, and a great sports town at times, if the team is winning.

With the Thrashers, I've already posted the facts. Attendance was relatively good, above many northern teams for much of their existence. The ownership didn't really care about the Thrashers, for they wanted the Hawks with the acquisition of Philips Arena. Since it was a package deal that included the Thrashers, they had to take them. The ownership never really was invested in the team, and in hindsight, it is obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2011, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Avondale, Chicago
14,423 posts, read 26,277,389 times
Reputation: 9460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
The Hawks are the hot and cold team, not the Falcons. The Hawks were the draw in the 80s. Today, most white people don't desire to see them, given its location downtown, and the fact that a white person would be heavily outnumbered at a game. Many fear for their safety. Just the facts. If you'll notice a television cast of the Hawks, unlike other NBA teams, looking into the stands looks like a sea of black faces, with a few whites in the mix.
Is Atlanta really that socially backward? And isn't the Georgia Dome basically next to Phillips Arena?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2011, 01:43 AM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
4,969 posts, read 7,328,713 times
Reputation: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Is Atlanta really that socially backward? And isn't the Georgia Dome basically next to Phillips Arena?
Even though I think the white aspect of it is a little off since they're some blacks in the burbs that won't go downtown for the same reason....the Falcons answer is simple, 80% of their games, at least, are during daylight hours,.....not nearly as unsafe....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top