U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-21-2011, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Behind you
388 posts, read 699,932 times
Reputation: 137

Advertisements

I just recently got really deep into NHL hockey thanks to the NFL lockout and now I have something new to watch this wintertime.

Growing up near Baltimore, I never got much into hockey, so I currently dont have a "hometown team" and am able to follow all of them during this off season.

Who do you think made the biggest impact to their overall team and who has the best chance at the cup this season?

After seeing the draft and all the aquisitions, I'd have to say the Avalanche seem to be getting back to their old form. They shored up their biggest needs at goaltender and got not one, but two great goalies, one for right now and one for the future. In addition to the two great draft picks they got in the first round, I think they will definitely be in the playoffs this year.

The other team that looks great coming into the season is the Pengiuns. As far as they got last season with their injuries, if they can stay healthy they will likely be on tour with the cup come this time next year.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2011, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,188,104 times
Reputation: 2488
Lots of teams like the Rangers draw high priced free agents. While teams like my Islanders have been building through the draft. Also very few free agents come to us. We usually get the over the hill guys, players with baggage, unwanted guys, or guys coming off injuries with something to prove. Surprisingly we have been building well and this could be a good season for us but we must move on and dump our goalie DiPietro. A solid guy in goal could be our answer so we will see. Will Nabokov or Montoya be the answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2011, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Behind you
388 posts, read 699,932 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Lots of teams like the Rangers draw high priced free agents. While teams like my Islanders have been building through the draft. Also very few free agents come to us. We usually get the over the hill guys, players with baggage, unwanted guys, or guys coming off injuries with something to prove. Surprisingly we have been building well and this could be a good season for us but we must move on and dump our goalie DiPietro. A solid guy in goal could be our answer so we will see. Will Nabokov or Montoya be the answer?
Thats always the question in any major league sport team, isn't it...build through the draft or buy the established players to get quick results.

Seems like all anyone ever says about the Islanders is the issues with DiPietro, after locking him up for such a long contract, you guys can't even get a trade for him with all those injuries, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2011, 11:35 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,188,104 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Thats always the question in any major league sport team, isn't it...build through the draft or buy the established players to get quick results.

Seems like all anyone ever says about the Islanders is the issues with DiPietro, after locking him up for such a long contract, you guys can't even get a trade for him with all those injuries, huh?
Unfortunately with DP, we will have to ride out his contract. When it comes to free agents, it's not like other sports where a mediocre team can pay more and get a solid player. In the NHL almost every big name avoids us like the plague so we will have to keep working the draft and through trades. When we finally become a playoff team, maybe the FA's will come then or maybe when the new building for the team is decided on (whether in Nassau, Suffolk or somewhere else).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 06:15 AM
 
229 posts, read 170,502 times
Reputation: 101
I really dont see any standout team. Except for a few bottom feeders, they all have a legit chance to win the cup. It all comes down to injuries, suspensions, who can dive the most, and who can take the grind of the regular season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,188,104 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by straka91 View Post
I really dont see any standout team. Except for a few bottom feeders, they all have a legit chance to win the cup. It all comes down to injuries, suspensions, who can dive the most, and who can take the grind of the regular season.
Agreed, but some teams are long shots while others we all know will be in the playoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,849 posts, read 6,365,548 times
Reputation: 5800
Detroit, Boston, Philly, Detroit, New Jersey, Detroit.

Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 12:40 PM
 
Location: San Jose
1,858 posts, read 2,094,179 times
Reputation: 540
I wouldn't leave out the Sharks.
They've improved their D a lot.
I'm thinking a lot of how they do will depend upon how well Havlat fits in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2011, 04:50 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,106 posts, read 19,948,714 times
Reputation: 7723
The Sharks are a little better than before, on paper. I'm still hoping for one more Cup from the Wings before Lids retires. They've gotten rid of some of their old guys. We'll see if that improves them or not. The Avs? I'm not sure about them, except that they are nothing like they used to be. The Pens I don't care for, but Crosby is still, last I heard, recovering. I wonder when he'll be back?

When does the puck drop? I can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2011, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Midwest
4,628 posts, read 3,974,059 times
Reputation: 6623
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
I just recently got really deep into NHL hockey thanks to the NFL lockout and now I have something new to watch this wintertime.

Growing up near Baltimore, I never got much into hockey, so I currently dont have a "hometown team" and am able to follow all of them during this off season.

Who do you think made the biggest impact to their overall team and who has the best chance at the cup this season?

After seeing the draft and all the aquisitions, I'd have to say the Avalanche seem to be getting back to their old form. They shored up their biggest needs at goaltender and got not one, but two great goalies, one for right now and one for the future. In addition to the two great draft picks they got in the first round, I think they will definitely be in the playoffs this year.

The other team that looks great coming into the season is the Pengiuns. As far as they got last season with their injuries, if they can stay healthy they will likely be on tour with the cup come this time next year.

What do you guys think?
No to Colorado...they don't quality goaltending or the defense to be a playoff team, but surprises do occur. They are going to look like St. Louis last year when they were hammereed with injuries.

The best moves were made by:
LA (Richards and Gagne were huge additions)
STL (the got the vets, Arnott and Langenbrunner, they need to get to the next level)
Chicago (got tougher and deeper...look a lot like their 2009-10 team)
Buffalo (Leino, Ehrhoff, Regehr, and a full season of a youngster by the name of Gragnani)

NYR and CBJ add one nice piece each...SJ has two good additions...

Tampa Bay will take a step back...Rolosson shines in the post-season, but during the regular season, he is average at best and they didn't do anything to improve their defense...

WC:
1) Chicago
2) SJ
3) Van
4) Det
5) Nash
6) STL
7) LA
8) Pho
9) CBJ
10) CGY
11) Dal
12) Col
13) Ana
14) Min
15) EDM

EC:
1) Philly
2) Was
3) Bos
4) Buf
5) Pit
6) NYR
7) NYI
8) MTL
9) Car
10) Tor
11) TB
12) Fla
13) Win
14) NJ
15) Ott

Forgot to mention that it is always good to have new NHL fans...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top