U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-31-2011, 02:32 AM
 
Location: Manila
1,144 posts, read 1,581,751 times
Reputation: 736

Advertisements

Since the NHL is about to enter training camp mode now, there is a question that is bugging me and its about unlikely and surprising Stanley Cup wins. What I mean by that is which teams that won a Stanley Cup in a particular season were not even being considered by most fans and pundits as contenders in that particular season before it started! Anyone know of such examples? Please discuss. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2011, 05:43 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,112 posts, read 19,960,359 times
Reputation: 7734
I don't think most people thought Boston could do it this year after what happened the season before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2011, 01:07 PM
 
229 posts, read 170,591 times
Reputation: 101
The Lightning back in 04. Im not a flames fan, but they got screwed out of another cup that year. That series was amazing to watch, no post lockout series has come even close. (Well maybe last years when you ignore all the diving committed by both sides.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2011, 06:24 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 2,161,597 times
Reputation: 1616
-Montreal in '93. They were 3rd in their division and were down 2-0 to Quebec in the first round. They then came back to win the next 4, swept Buffalo, beat the Islanders and injured Pierre Turgeon, and beat LA in 5. Patrick Roy singlehandedly carried them to the Cup.

-New Jersey in '95. 5th seed in the East, didn't have home ice in any round. They beat 4 very good teams, especially Detroit in the Finals.

-Detroit in '97. They had beaten Colorado in the WCF without home ice(Roy played with a torn rotor) and then swept Philly, a team that had the Legion of Doom in their prime.

-Tampa Bay in '04. This was a team that simply overachieved, much like the Devils in '95. We knew they were good. They did go to round 2 the year before. But everyone just clicked. Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richards, Andreychuck, and contributions from role players like Modin, Afanasenkov, and good goaltending with Khabibulin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Lethbridge, AB
1,132 posts, read 1,654,722 times
Reputation: 974
Pittsburgh in '91 - They'd missed the playoffs in '90, and won only a handful of series in their 25 year history prior to 1991. While 1991 was an improvement, they still only finished 7th overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2011, 11:07 AM
 
Location: San Jose
1,858 posts, read 2,094,903 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Pittsburgh in '91 - They'd missed the playoffs in '90, and won only a handful of series in their 25 year history prior to 1991. While 1991 was an improvement, they still only finished 7th overall.
Forgot that they had finished that low. Good point!
Even though I'm a Sharks fan now, had season tickets to the Pens in the 70s and still pull for them. Just don't want to see a Pens v Sharks final!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2011, 12:04 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 2,161,597 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Forgot that they had finished that low. Good point!
Even though I'm a Sharks fan now, had season tickets to the Pens in the 70s and still pull for them. Just don't want to see a Pens v Sharks final!

You won't have to worry about seeing the Sharks in the Finals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2011, 12:09 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,913 posts, read 42,175,279 times
Reputation: 43317
The Washington Capitals last year.

What? They didn't win it? But they were supposed to sweep every playoff.

They didn't? Oh.

Well, when they won it the year before.

What? They didn't that year either? Or ever?

I must be reading too many Washington papers. Of course the Redskins are a lock for the Super Bowl this year. At least that's what's being written now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2011, 06:56 PM
 
Location: San Jose
1,858 posts, read 2,094,903 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
You won't have to worry about seeing the Sharks in the Finals.
I have my hopes..... they're still a good team and possibly better than what they were last year.

We'll see
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,850 posts, read 6,369,384 times
Reputation: 5800
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
-Montreal in '93. They were 3rd in their division and were down 2-0 to Quebec in the first round. They then came back to win the next 4, swept Buffalo, beat the Islanders and injured Pierre Turgeon, and beat LA in 5. Patrick Roy singlehandedly carried them to the Cup.

-New Jersey in '95. 5th seed in the East, didn't have home ice in any round. They beat 4 very good teams, especially Detroit in the Finals.

-Detroit in '97. They had beaten Colorado in the WCF without home ice(Roy played with a torn rotor) and then swept Philly, a team that had the Legion of Doom in their prime.

-Tampa Bay in '04. This was a team that simply overachieved, much like the Devils in '95. We knew they were good. They did go to round 2 the year before. But everyone just clicked. Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richards, Andreychuck, and contributions from role players like Modin, Afanasenkov, and good goaltending with Khabibulin.
Good selections.

Red Wings loss to Jersey was deflating. I had a Let's Go Wings bumper sticker from the Detroit Free Press and I was a kid pumped up for the series. What a downer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top