U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 02:41 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,975,776 times

Advertisements

The cheap shots and garbage by some players would stop if they knew their ass could get stomped at any moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 09:04 AM

32,391 posts, read 59,880,407 times
Banning Sean Avery would be a better move ...

Old 11-16-2011, 11:22 AM

7,602 posts, read 9,459,597 times
Eventually, it will be banned. It's inevitable.

If your only "skill" is fighting/enforcement, then you shouldn't be playing in the NHL. Period.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:44 PM

92 posts, read 414,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
It's not faked or staged. You're basing your argument solely on the fact that Avery doesn't fight very well (by that logic, the NHL might as well do away with goal scoring too, as he's not very good at that, either). I think if you watch some more able fighters your opinion may change.
Unfortunately for fighting fans of the NHL, the game has changed drastically since the new CBA. Teams used to be able to carry one or two goons as strictly enforcers. Then you could carry some muckers. Nowadays, with the speed and skill of the game, you would be skated circles around. Early 00s were terrible teams for my Panthers, but they were slightly entertaining. If Bure wasn't scoring highlight reel goals, Paul Laus and Peter Worrell were pummelling other teams' goons. And if it was Buffalo, you knew the squeegee was going to be used plenty!

Disclaimer: Not to say I don't like the game now, it's a good evolution of the game, but I do miss those days as well.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:20 PM

21,564 posts, read 11,623,733 times
Fighting is important in the NHL. It relieves much stress and anxiety and anger on both teams. Prevents a lot of cheapshots and actually helps the players focus better. I actually wish they would allow us to let Bantams and HS players fight. Only rule is no dropping the gloves, just pound on each other with your gloves and helmets on until you get tired and then get a 10 min timeout. No one is going to get hurt and it will do wonders to stop all the cheapshots you see.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:13 PM

4,850 posts, read 6,368,152 times
Sorry but my title is misleading. I don't think fighting should be banned. I'm just sick of the pansy garbage I keep seeing like in the video I posted. It's not only Avery (though he seems to star in a few lame clips). I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping goons honest but at the same time I can't stand the fake b.s. that's in the video. That crap is lame and a waste of time. I'd like to see a time wasting penalty for that kind of thing.

Anyone remember Mutant League Hockey for Genesis? The winner of a fight was given a 2 minute penalty for fighting, the loser a 5 minute penalty for fighting and losing. Basically I'd like a pansy penalty in NHL.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:13 PM

9,470 posts, read 12,319,631 times
If fighting is banned in First Tier Professional Football ( NFL) Where the object of the game is To Hit (Somebody) (Anybody ) , surely all fighting should be BANNED IN THE (NHL) without a question.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:45 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,654,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Eventually, it will be banned. It's inevitable.

If your only "skill" is fighting/enforcement, then you shouldn't be playing in the NHL. Period.
What's your plan for those players who are skilled and still handy with their fists? Jerome Iginla, Milan Lucic, Kevin Bieksa etc come to mind among current players. Even Bob Probert was a 20 goal/year scorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Sorry but my title is misleading. I don't think fighting should be banned. I'm just sick of the pansy garbage I keep seeing like in the video I posted. It's not only Avery (though he seems to star in a few lame clips). I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping goons honest but at the same time I can't stand the fake b.s. that's in the video. That crap is lame and a waste of time. I'd like to see a time wasting penalty for that kind of thing.

Anyone remember Mutant League Hockey for Genesis? The winner of a fight was given a 2 minute penalty for fighting, the loser a 5 minute penalty for fighting and losing. Basically I'd like a pansy penalty in NHL.
It's frustrating definitely. I'm not sure how to solve it, though. Avery (and some others) seem to have found a way to weasel out of fights they don't want without exactly backing down. I don't think there's much that can be done, except take some solace in the fact that there's still lots of guys who can and will fight properly in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony45 View Post
Fighting is important in the NHL. It relieves much stress and anxiety and anger on both teams. Prevents a lot of cheapshots and actually helps the players focus better. I actually wish they would allow us to let Bantams and HS players fight. Only rule is no dropping the gloves, just pound on each other with your gloves and helmets on until you get tired and then get a 10 min timeout. No one is going to get hurt and it will do wonders to stop all the cheapshots you see.
There's fighting allowed in Junior up here, (WHL, QMJHL, OHL) which begins at 16. Kids also fight before that, there's just usually a game misconduct tied to it. Suffice to say that there's a lot of kids who hit junior and know what they're doing in a fight.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:20 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,191,743 times
Ban fighting and you will eliminate a huge selling point of this sport. What would it become eventually? Figure skating with a stick and puck!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:41 PM

890 posts, read 1,533,579 times
I just don't think it should be promoted, and as someone else said, headshots need to be banned.

But personally, I prefer a good skating game, olympic style, than players getting their feelings hurt so bad by a hard check (which is part of the game) that the feel they have to go punch someone and start a brawl..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or