U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2011, 01:10 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,552 posts, read 16,418,110 times
Reputation: 5092

Advertisements

Those last two videos wear boring as hell. Two dudes punching each other in the pads and barely making any connections to the head. If thats considered "exciting" in Hockey I sure am glad I dont watch the sport ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2011, 02:04 AM
 
Location: East St. Paul 651 forever (or North St. Paul) .
2,869 posts, read 2,838,540 times
Reputation: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Those last two videos wear boring as hell. Two dudes punching each other in the pads and barely making any connections to the head. If thats considered "exciting" in Hockey I sure am glad I dont watch the sport ...
If you watch the game for the "fights" you aren't a fan to begin with. We don't need your support so get back to your thug, primadonna a-hole NBA stars and all that BS baggage they give back to the sport and their communities.

You want some action from this season?:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,442 posts, read 22,000,772 times
Reputation: 33773
maybe a more serious consideration beyond it's fun to watch, should be given to looking into what benefit fighting actually has to the sport...

Derek Boogaard: a brain going bad

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/sp...ewanted=1&_r=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2011, 01:12 PM
 
21,655 posts, read 11,679,113 times
Reputation: 12370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
maybe a more serious consideration beyond it's fun to watch, should be given to looking into what benefit fighting actually has to the sport...

Derek Boogaard: a brain going bad

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/sp...ewanted=1&_r=1

Anyone who is interested in this topic should the story linked by Ghengis. Very moving story and eye opening.

Here's a video in 3 parts related to same story-

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/sp...rawl.html?_r=3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 11:15 AM
 
229 posts, read 170,960 times
Reputation: 101
Huge fan of fighting and agree with Bettman (for once) about his view on fighting and the lack of study's regarding the subject of punches to the head. Fighting and the physical aspect of hockey entertains most fans. Players know the dangers of playing and fighting, so let them play. If a player feels the risk outways the reward, he and his family will take the proper steps to get him out of any dangerous situation. The NHL and media need to quit shoving this down our throats and trying to make it our "problem" too. As long as humans have brains, we are never going to prevent humans getting concussions or brain damage. You can injure you brain by falling off a chair or bumping your head on an object standing up for crying out loud.

When they start doing study's on non enforcers/fighters that recently died, I will start taking all these study's more seriously. I know its not humane to think this way, but I really could give a damn. Im only worried about my brain and my family's brains. Only thing hockey needs to do for me is entertain me. Fighting and hitting do just that along with the other aspects of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
4,969 posts, read 7,333,917 times
Reputation: 1722
I wish that every team thought of fighting the Red Wings do....they don't use it as a tactic at all and really, only in actual self defense and hardly ever pre plan it.
I think they should use the rule the OHL does....helmets have to stay on, visors or not. If the guy has a visor, well, punch him in the ribs or back.
If a death ever comes from fighting, during an actual NHL game, I predict the reason why, will be, since a guy who wasn't wearing a helmet, hit his head on the ice. Then they will have almost no choice but to ban fighting.
Also, you're basically allowed 3 fights per game....that should be reduced to 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Midwest
506 posts, read 1,085,421 times
Reputation: 336
Fights are boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 08:19 PM
 
21,655 posts, read 11,679,113 times
Reputation: 12370
Quote:
Originally Posted by straka91 View Post
Huge fan of fighting and agree with Bettman (for once) about his view on fighting and the lack of study's regarding the subject of punches to the head. Fighting and the physical aspect of hockey entertains most fans. Players know the dangers of playing and fighting, so let them play. If a player feels the risk outways the reward, he and his family will take the proper steps to get him out of any dangerous situation. The NHL and media need to quit shoving this down our throats and trying to make it our "problem" too. As long as humans have brains, we are never going to prevent humans getting concussions or brain damage. You can injure you brain by falling off a chair or bumping your head on an object standing up for crying out loud.

When they start doing study's on non enforcers/fighters that recently died, I will start taking all these study's more seriously. I know its not humane to think this way, but I really could give a damn. Im only worried about my brain and my family's brains. Only thing hockey needs to do for me is entertain me. Fighting and hitting do just that along with the other aspects of the game.
That's because you really don't know a lot about hockey, no offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 PM
 
2,282 posts, read 3,300,221 times
Reputation: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by straka91 View Post
When they start doing study's on non enforcers/fighters that recently died, I will start taking all these study's more seriously. I know its not humane to think this way, but I really could give a damn. Im only worried about my brain and my family's brains. Only thing hockey needs to do for me is entertain me. Fighting and hitting do just that along with the other aspects of the game.
Wow, pretty ruthless opinion. Almost animalistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 PM
 
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
580 posts, read 863,920 times
Reputation: 892
yes, they should ban them. Useless at best! One thing is a fight erupting in a tense game in a spontaneous way, another thing is the planned "throwing the gloves". Because of the planned nature of it to me it's not even entertaining, it actually bothers me because it interrupts the game with someone that has little to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top