U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,655,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I'm looking in my local paper right now and it says it wasn't a sellout yesterday and their last home game wasn't a sellout either.
Your paper's wrong.

Coyotes vs. Jets - 01/12/2011 - Winnipeg Jets - Boxscore

Attendance listed at the bottom is 15,004 (which is capacity at the MTS center).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 02:50 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,325,426 times
I was just playing around on Craigslist....and sad but true and predictable....just about all of the tickets for sale....for Jets games....show sale by dealer.....not private party....by about 9 to 1....it's not like this ratio in other NHL towns....did the Jets just sell all these season tickets to private dealers? (who of course will big time mark them up), instead of the general public, just to make themselves look good and get more of the leagues blessing for the move? If they did that, big time shame on them....

Old 12-06-2011, 08:46 AM

21,961 posts, read 27,390,495 times
There is no mirage or Potemkin Village with respect to the Jets' popularity in Winnipeg. Those who are skeptical are barking up the wrong tree. Honest.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:17 PM

Don't doubt the Jets popularity at all in Winnipeg (and SK, MB and Western Ontario for that matter). While I still think they would have had sellouts every night, if nothing else, due to walk ups, having most of your season tickets go to 3rd party brokers is just BS (from what I saw on CL).

Old 12-06-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I was just playing around on Craigslist....and sad but true and predictable....just about all of the tickets for sale....for Jets games....show sale by dealer.....not private party....by about 9 to 1....it's not like this ratio in other NHL towns....did the Jets just sell all these season tickets to private dealers? (who of course will big time mark them up), instead of the general public, just to make themselves look good and get more of the leagues blessing for the move? If they did that, big time shame on them....
After perusing the Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary and Boston Craigslist pages, I can safely say that in many other NHL towns, it's exactly like that. Or perhaps you were being generous to the Jets? Toronto's Craigslist shows precisely one ticket for sale by owner. The ratio there is closer to 30:1.

Besides, they didn't need the league's blessing. The sale was finalized, and announced by Gary Bettman on May 31, while tickets weren't available until June 4th.

From my (admittedly brief) google search, it appears that selling season tickets to re-sellers is extremely common among all professional sports teams, the NHL being no exception.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
After perusing the Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary and Boston Craigslist pages, I can safely say that in many other NHL towns, it's exactly like that. Or perhaps you were being generous to the Jets? Toronto's Craigslist shows precisely one ticket for sale by owner. The ratio there is closer to 30:1.

Besides, they didn't need the league's blessing. The sale was finalized, and announced by Gary Bettman on May 31, while tickets weren't available until June 4th.

From my (admittedly brief) google search, it appears that selling season tickets to re-sellers is extremely common among all professional sports teams, the NHL being no exception.
Well, then......I guess it's another reason to see pro sports going down the toliet. Interesting how Joe Blow can get arrested, in a lot of cities for scalping on the street....but NHL teams like the Flames and Canadiens can sell tickets like that to 3rd party hacks, who, even though some will charge a face value....for the actual tickets, double the price in "fees"....to get around the scalping that way. I apologize. I was just going on what I've seen on the Vancouver and Phoenix CL tickets for sale...where it's about 2 to 1 (dealers over private party).

Old 12-07-2011, 11:10 AM

21,367 posts, read 21,930,528 times
Quote:
Well, then......I guess it's another reason to see pro sports going down the toliet. Interesting how Joe Blow can get arrested, in a lot of cities for scalping on the street....but NHL teams like the Flames and Canadiens can sell tickets like that to 3rd party hacks, who, even though some will charge a face value....for the actual tickets, double the price in "fees"....to get around the scalping that way. I apologize. I was just going on what I've seen on the Vancouver and Phoenix CL tickets for sale...where it's about 2 to 1 (dealers over private party).
I suspect the brokers are buying their tickets from the private sellers who don't want to screw around with Craig's List and the hassle of trying to sell to other individuals.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
No worries - You've raised a reasonable point about 3rd party sellers, in general, I think.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:30 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,798,967 times
Go jets go!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:01 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,582,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringOldMike4554 View Post
Since they just moved back this year, their attendance is obviously still very high. I would imagine that in the near future, attendance will never be the problem. However, like the Edmonton Oilers, the team will have to deal with the fact that it will always be one of the lower payroll teams.
They didn't "move back". That team is still in Phoenix. The team they have is a "stolen" Atlanta Thrashers team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or