U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:45 PM

21,538 posts, read 11,615,071 times

Advertisements

Is place in the division. I think maybe, they finally have a formula that can stand up to the grind of the NHL. They have their team built around tough guy Cal Clutterbuck along with solid defense and excellent goaltending. Throw in Heatley and the other guy and I think they have a winning combination. This may be the year they make some noise in the playoffs.

Anyone but the Canucks and their pathetic fans. Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 05:40 AM

Interesting Wild story-

Wild, in a pinch, sign amateur goalie, 51

By John Shipley
jshipley@pioneerpress.com
Updated: 11/23/2011 11:34:31 PM CST

Minnesota Wild emergency backup goalie, 51-year-old Paul Deutsch, right, visits with Nashville Predators goalie Anders Lindback, of Sweden, during warmups prior to an NHL hockey game on Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2011, in St. Paul, Minn. (Associated Press: Jim Mone)

Related

Paul Deutsch never got the chance to tend goal in the NHL, and it's probably better that he didn't. Even Deutsch knows he wasn't ready.
"Very nervous," Deutsch said Wednesday as he and the Wild waited on call-up Matt Hackett, who was trying to get to the Twin Cities from Houston on the busiest travel day of the year.
Hackett finally made it to the arena in time for the Wild to officially scratch Deutsch, though Hackett didn't sit on the team bench until a few shifts into Minnesota's game against the Nashville Predators.
If he hadn't made it, Deutsch could well have become the second-oldest man to play in an NHL game, second only to the immortal Gordie Howe. When Niklas Backstrom was pulled because of what the Wild called a "very minor" personal reason, Deutsch, 51, was quickly signed to an amateur tryout contract. He came out for warm-ups, but that likely will be the extent of his NHL career.
Still, what a thrill for Deutsch, a childhood friend of former Wild assistant and NHL defenseman Mike Ramsey who in the past has tended goal for the Wild on optional practice days. When it appeared Hackett might not make it to Minnesota in time for the game, goalie coach Bob Mason called Deutsch and gave him an hour to sign a contract. The Wild couldn't bring in a college goaltender because it would end his NCAA eligibility, and they couldn't sign a player with pro experience because it would take 24 hours to sign him to an NHL deal. So they signed Deutsch, who was scheduled to be at Wednesday's game with the Eastview 14-under girls team he helps coach.
"I actually was shaking while I was signing it, and it was pretty cool," he said. "It had to be into the league by 4, and when I got here, I did three more hard copies for (general manager Chuck) Fletcher."
In the space where players list their previous team, Deutsch wrote, "Minneapolis Roosevelt junior varsity, defenseman." Deutsch, in fact, didn't become a goalie until he was 37, a decision he made in order to keep his amateur night going.
"When you play senior men's hockey, and you show up to the rink and there aren't two goalies, there is no game," he explained. "That's how I started playing; I was tired of coming, walking into the room and saying: 'Oh, rats. Not two goalies.' Guys would have to go home. So I said, 'You know what? I'm going to play.' "
He didn't play Wednesday night, with the Wild or his buddies, who were scheduled for their regular 9:45 p.m. game at Bloomington Ice Garden. One wonders if they had enough goalies to get a game going. If not, they no doubt didn't mind because for one afternoon and one warm-up, their teammate was an NHL player

Old 12-02-2011, 07:15 PM

2,869 posts, read 2,830,963 times
November was our best month in history at 11-4.

They are grinding, that's for sure, because they sure as heck aren't a finesse team. It sure helps we have the best duo in nets in the entire league in Backs and Harding. Healtey has pretty much more or less been a bust, IMO. I never liked the fact they brought him in.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:29 PM

Bouchard just scored one of the prettiest goals I've seen in some time. The Wild came back from down 0-2 to the Ducks and are now ahead 3-2

Old 12-05-2011, 02:16 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,160,665 times
The Canucks will likely take the division, but I definitely see the Wild fighting for home ice in the first round. Any info on Latendresse? He was playing very well before he went down. They definitely need his big body back.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
The Canucks will likely take the division, but I definitely see the Wild fighting for home ice in the first round. Any info on Latendresse? He was playing very well before he went down. They definitely need his big body back.
He's "day to day," I believe. This team is so anti-finesse that it surprises me that at this point in the season it's the best in their history. Heatley has been lackluster at best.

Their goaltending is the best. Harding will depart next year and be a #1 on someone's roster.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
He's "day to day," I believe. This team is so anti-finesse that it surprises me that at this point in the season it's the best in their history. Heatley has been lackluster at best.

Their goaltending is the best. Harding will depart next year and be a #1 on someone's roster.

They really need Latendresse. They raped Montreal in that trade for Pouilot. The guy is a 30-35 goal scorer if healthy.

As for Heatley, I wouldn't expect much from him. 1)He's not a playoff performer. He's had only 1 good playoff run. 2)He has 5-6 teammates all capable of picking up his slack. There's no need for him to bust his hump and score 45-50 goals like he was in Ottawa and his early San Jose days.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:30 PM

This is ESPN's info for Latendresse on his player profile:

Quote:
Latendresse (concussion) has started to skate on his own, but won't travel with the Wild for the team's upcoming four-game road trip, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. (Sat Dec 3)

He's making progress, but there's no timetable for his return.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
They really need Latendresse. They raped Montreal in that trade for Pouilot. The guy is a 30-35 goal scorer if healthy.

As for Heatley, I wouldn't expect much from him. 1)He's not a playoff performer. He's had only 1 good playoff run. 2)He has 5-6 teammates all capable of picking up his slack. There's no need for him to bust his hump and score 45-50 goals like he was in Ottawa and his early San Jose days.
I agree Latandresse is an imposing figure. Zidlicky has also been out with concussion symptoms, another of our "veteran" d-men.

The Wild could really make some postseason noise with this group of guys. Yeo is clearly front runner for COTY at this moment as well.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 PM

Well, things are going the OTHER way now. 5 games in a row without a win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or