Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 02:28 PM

20 posts, read 19,601 times

Advertisements

Recently I've been getting more and more into hockey. I just watched a great game between Vancouver and Detroit (that apparantly broke Detroit's 23 home game winning streak record) and last night enjoyed a college game between North Dakota and Denver.

I'm still confused on some rules. What exactly is icing? When is a player offsides? Can an offensive player score while he's in the goalie's crease? As a Dallas native I can vividly recall Brett Hull scoring the final goal to win the Stanely Cup I watched that game live on TV, and I remember it being controversial because replay showed his skate was in the crease. Does the NHL have that rule anymore? Can someone give me the basics to hockey so that I can better understand what I'm watching?

I also have a question on the college game. I am originally from Texas, follow college football and know a lot about the history of the game. I know the traditional powerhouse programs ~ Alabama, Michigan, Texas, etc., major football coaches like Woody Hayes, Joe Pa, and Bear Bryant, the BCS/playoff controversey, and I know of major individual awards such as the Heisman, etc. What is the college hockey equivalent of Michigan, Texas, Bear Bryant, Joe Pa, the Heisman, etc?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:24 PM

61 posts, read 141,036 times
Icing is called against Team A if a player on Team A shoots the puck from behind the red line and it continues across Team B's goal line without contact by any player and is then recovered by a player on Team B. Icing is "waved off" if a member of Team B could have played the puck instead of allowing it to continue past the goal line.

A player on Team A is offsides if he crosses Team B's blue line before the puck. A pass that crosses both a blue line and the red line is considered an offside pass.

Scoring in the crease is more complicated. I will refer you to Rule 69:
Official Rules - Rule 69: Interference on the Goalkeeper - NHL.com - Rules

Unlike the NFL, most NHL players do not play NCAA college hockey. The Canadian Hockey League (made up of the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL) is a major junior hockey league that is the largest source of future NHL talent. I love WHL junior hockey. Some players also play CIS college hockey in Canada. With that said, the increased popularity of NCAA hockey has made it an important part of the NHL pipeline.

I am not an expert on NCAA hockey. You may find this list helpful:
NC Men's Ice Hockey Championship History - NCAA.com

Old 02-25-2012, 08:24 PM

6,402 posts, read 8,950,511 times
Michigan is also a hockey powerhouse. Like the football program, however, the best years were long ago though they manage to still win on a regular basis while falling short of championship glory.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:01 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,934,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERJ-145 View Post
Scoring in the crease is more complicated. I will refer you to Rule 69:
Official Rules - Rule 69: Interference on the Goalkeeper - NHL.com - Rules
To summarize that, the goalie has to have unrestricted movement within his crease. A player can enter it at any time, but they can't get in the goalie's way.

The Brett Hull goal, referred to in the OP was under a different rule (a short lived one, it was only in effect for 2 or 3 years, if memory serves) where a player couldn't enter the crease unless they had control of the puck.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:07 PM

61 posts, read 141,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
To summarize that, the goalie has to have unrestricted movement within his crease. A player can enter it at any time, but they can't get in the goalie's way.

The Brett Hull goal, referred to in the OP was under a different rule (a short lived one, it was only in effect for 2 or 3 years, if memory serves) where a player couldn't enter the crease unless they had control of the puck.
Thank you for the clarification. I wasn't familiar with that particular situation.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 PM

41,859 posts, read 74,912,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Fan View Post
What is the college hockey equivalent of Michigan, Texas, Bear Bryant, Joe Pa, the Heisman, etc?
Minnesota, Boston College, Herb Brooks, the Hobey Baker Award, and the Frozen Four.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:24 AM

23,862 posts, read 71,264,771 times
The majority of the US born players come from the NCAA.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:26 PM

2,924 posts, read 5,155,376 times
OP: if you plan to continue to watch college hockey, ESPN will show the NCAA final game on a Saturday night in April. This year it's in Tampa. They've played the game in non-traditional venues often this past decade, even in a dome in Detroit.

North Dakota, Boston University, Wisconsin, Denver and Maine have also been good over the years.

You can check the weekly polls for the teams' rankings. I think USA Today has one.

Ties are allowed in the regular season but OT is played in the playoffs.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 PM

20 posts, read 19,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
OP: if you plan to continue to watch college hockey, ESPN will show the NCAA final game on a Saturday night in April. This year it's in Tampa. They've played the game in non-traditional venues often this past decade, even in a dome in Detroit.

North Dakota, Boston University, Wisconsin, Denver and Maine have also been good over the years.

You can check the weekly polls for the teams' rankings. I think USA Today has one.

Ties are allowed in the regular season but OT is played in the playoffs.
I know about Denver and North Dakota as I watched two games of theirs this past weekend. ND (which this college football fan sees as Notre Dame LOL) won the first game I watched while Denver won the second. From the broadcast I learned that Ferris State is ranked #1, which is apparantly a first for their program. Coming out of my football bubble I find it interesting that certain universities from different parts of the country emphasize different sports. I've never heard of Ferris State, Colorado College, St. Cloud, and others before I turned on the Altitude network.

Thanks for the great responses everybody This afternoon I found a Hockey 101 guide on the Dallas Stars' site.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:41 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,508,833 times
Hey, I think he needs a hockey lesson, let me introduce Denis Lemieux to help!

Denis Lemieux - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey