U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:10 PM

2,016 posts, read 2,018,538 times

Advertisements

I live in California, but I am not really a hockey fan, but I am a LA fan when it comes to sports.

So if I had to pick a team it would be the Kings. It would be hard not to notice what they are doing this year in the playoffs. This would be unheard of in basketball!! To have an 8th seed beat the 1 seed in 5 games, and sweep the 2 seed, and take a one game lead over Phoenix, I have to ask you hocky fans, are they that good?? Why didn't they play like this all season to be a higher seed?

From what I have seen, they have not only won there games, but clearly outplayed their opponets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 05:46 PM

13,118 posts, read 19,986,342 times
While Vancouver and St. Louis were both overrated, I think the Kings are indeed very good. They have underachieved for quite a while now. Another thing is that the playoffs are a different season than the regular season. The games mean more. LA is "on" at just the right time.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:43 PM

4,854 posts, read 6,377,822 times
NHL playoffs are known for this kind of thing. They rarely go according to plan and it's rare for the 2 best teams to meet in the Stanley Cup Finals. It's part of the magic of playoff hockey. Any team can advance.

LA is hot right now. Eighth seed ranking is not a reflection of the team right now.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 PM

6,847 posts, read 7,909,459 times
Are the LA Kings really that good???

Yeah. They came together after Carter joined Richards. The switch to Sutter was brilliant as well. Don't forget Quick. He's a stud at the net.

GO KINGS!!!!

Old 05-16-2012, 05:10 AM

2,180 posts, read 3,693,866 times
Don't forget that they're not a "real“ no. 8 seed as many hockey fans now trealize. They were predicted to do well this year, at least win round one. They underachieved, causing the coaching change.

One or two more wins, and they would be the no, 3 seed with home ice in round 1. I think their last game, at San Jose, went to OT. They were both playing for 7th and 8th in the conference. Kings lost; had they won, they would have avoided Vanc. and played St. Louis. Probably wouldn't have matter, in retrospect!

Unlike the NBA, the NHL has more parity in recent years so there was no overwhelming favorite from the regular season anyway, although Sports Illustrated thought it to be Pittsburgh, bounced in the first round.

Enjoy the ride. Up 2-0 now. I'd love to see the Cup in L.A! Great for hockey! (despite what dome may say).

Old 05-16-2012, 08:59 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,889,081 times
My Bruins are out, so I have jumped on the Kings bandwagon and hope they win the cup. I also find it funny that the fake and celebrity fans are going to the games and trying to act like fans.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:29 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,912,895 times
Been wondering the same thing...Where were they during the regular season???

Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM

7,619 posts, read 9,476,709 times
I honestly don't think that they're as good as these playoffs games have shown; they're just going on a hot streak at precisely the right time. They weren't very impressive over an 82-game regular season..

Old 05-17-2012, 01:20 PM

9,030 posts, read 16,457,937 times
it's a different team than skated for the full 82 - different coach, different impact players, different style altogether

they have also had some matchups that fit perfectly into the system they play - I think they would have struggled with detroit, chicago, SJ (who ended the regular season with a home/away sweep of the kings) or a healthy vancouver

they still may have advanced - but it would look a bit different

they are playing fantastic though

Old 05-18-2012, 03:48 PM

2,016 posts, read 2,018,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
My Bruins are out, so I have jumped on the Kings bandwagon and hope they win the cup. I also find it funny that the fake and celebrity fans are going to the games and trying to act like fans.
I'll be honest with you, I ddn't know of any King players prior to beating Vancouver in the first round. Now I am one of those bandwagon King fans!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or