U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,182,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
That's absolutely not true ... both have a predominately white fanbase ... hockey a bit moreso, but basketball is no where close to 50/50, let along slightly more towards the black population

In the latest census the number who reported as "black only" was 38.9M with an additional 3.1M as "black in combination of one or more races" .... that's a black population of 42M or about 14% of the total population.

The overwhelming NBA fan is white, generally male as well ..... Scarborough Research does most of the demographic studies, but aside from an occasional press release they are pay studies and they have a partnership with many leagues (including the NBA)

The NBA has the highest percentage of black players, black have a higher percentage of their population invested into basketball .... however, the overall black population numbers aren't enough to swing it to being a league that is supported by the black fan
Sports have always been a big part of my life and i've always questioned my friends on who they followed and if they liked sports at all. Out of the people that I am friendly with the white population (men) about 75% watch hockey and about 50% watch basketball. Out of my black (male) friends, only 1 watches hockey and all but 2 watch basketball. This is almost 60 people total and the race split evenly. Surprisingly most of my hispanic friends only watch soccer (futbol) with some also watching baseball. No football, basketball, or hockey for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 12:28 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
I have a mutual respect for ALL sports.... it's just that this year, I'm not into the NBA Finals because it's between two teams I hate. No dog in the fight, so I don't care.

With that said, the Miami LeBrons and the Zombie Seattle Supersonics are giving the NBA some of their highest ratings ever right now.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:46 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,426,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Sports have always been a big part of my life and i've always questioned my friends on who they followed and if they liked sports at all. Out of the people that I am friendly with the white population (men) about 75% watch hockey and about 50% watch basketball. Out of my black (male) friends, only 1 watches hockey and all but 2 watch basketball. This is almost 60 people total and the race split evenly. Surprisingly most of my hispanic friends only watch soccer (futbol) with some also watching baseball. No football, basketball, or hockey for them.
Yep.

You could do something like this.

You have 100 people

63 white alone (non-hispanic), 15 black (or black in combination), 22 other

If about 50% of the white people like basketball you'll have just over 30 basketball fans - which would be more than double the amount of black fans even if every single black person in that population group was a fan

So just using that as an example and breaking it out to the population at large - if 50% of white people are basketball fans and 100% of black people are basketball fans than their percentage of the total fanbase could at most be 67% for whites and 33% for blacks.

However, you still have that 22 other. If even 20% of them are basketball fans you would add another 4 fans.

So the distribution would be roughly 31 white, 15 blacks, 4 others. So the fanbase percentages would be 62% white, 30% black and 8% other.

The raw numbers are just too big from population demographics .... the white fan base is going to be the largest section of pretty much every major sport, it's just a matter of how much

With that said, there is definitely opportunity to expand outside that demographic and even with smaller percentages you are still dealing with a giant total number ... so there is definite opportunity for sports to cross over .... plus you have trends as well (like the growing number of young hispanics) - leagues need to plant the seeds for future growth

Generally I don't think being a fan of hockey or the NBA is mutually exclusive to a casual degree - you just may not get a big push from one or the other as far as cross over

Although I do know that I have spent more time/money on hockey after the NBA went dead to me - although I used to carry both cable packages so I could watch both NBA & NHL games

Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
That's absolutely not true ... both have a predominately white fanbase ... hockey a bit moreso, but basketball is no where close to 50/50, let along slightly more towards the black population

In the latest census the number who reported as "black only" was 38.9M with an additional 3.1M as "black in combination of one or more races" .... that's a black population of 42M or about 14% of the total population.

The overwhelming NBA fan is white, generally male as well ..... Scarborough Research does most of the demographic studies, but aside from an occasional press release they are pay studies and they have a partnership with many leagues (including the NBA)

The NBA has the highest percentage of black players, black have a higher percentage of their population invested into basketball .... however, the overall black population numbers aren't enough to swing it to being a league that is supported by the black fan

good post...

and all you gotta do is just look in the stands anyway to realize its no where close to 50/50

Old 06-22-2012, 07:52 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,536,885 times
Hockey Playoffs have been more intresting, the NHL had a 6 and an 8 seed in the finals, the NBA has a 2 and a 2 seed, so the playoffs where more predictable.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:56 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,317,717 times
Couldn't bring myself to watch the Heat after LeBum, Chrissy and I hurt my shoulder so I have to be in a wheelchair Wade, did, in 2010. At least Pierce, Garnett and Allen, didn't say stupid crap like, "not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4,...etc, etc".
Futhermore, the way Bennett moved OKC from Seattle was beyond disgraceful.
No thanks.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:06 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Couldn't bring myself to watch the Heat after LeBum, Chrissy and I hurt my shoulder so I have to be in a wheelchair Wade, did, in 2010. At least Pierce, Garnett and Allen, didn't say stupid crap like, "not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4,...etc, etc".
Futhermore, the way Bennett moved OKC from Seattle was beyond disgraceful.
No thanks.
I see I'm not the only one......

And I have no real hatred for LeBron, just don't see him as "THE Greatest" like his d*** riding, ass kissing bandwagon fans cosntantly seem to bark out. The hatred mostly goes out to those "fans".

And the Thunder.... not only did they get ripped from Seattle fans, but they're in Oklahoma. That's even worse!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Hockey Playoffs have been more intresting
Not according to the TV ratings...

Old 06-24-2012, 01:42 PM

13,102 posts, read 19,934,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Not according to the TV ratings...
The TV ratings do not tell us which is more interesting.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The TV ratings do not tell us which is more interesting.

Huh???

So you think there is no correlation in what interest people and what they tune in to watch?

...so what do the tv ratings tell us then? (I gotta hear this)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey