U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2012, 02:27 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
Reputation: 7005

Advertisements

If it was the Kings and Rangers (L.A. vs. NY like everyone else wanted) then the ratings would have been much higher. Although, I STILL say the Bron Bron Finals would have put up more numbers.

But I understand what you're saying. Hockey tends to have more drama and parody. Thing is, it's just lost so much popularity, not everyone to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2012, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,102 posts, read 19,934,220 times
Reputation: 7715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Huh???

So you think there is no correlation in what interest people and what they tune in to watch?

...so what do the tv ratings tell us then? (I gotta hear this)
The NHL is not as popular as the NBA, with or without TV ratings. Some people will not watch hockey and hence will no know how interesting it can be. I no longer watch the NBA because it is of little interest to me (i.e., it's boring). Some people will watch even if a game is boring. TV ratings tell only how many people watched, it does not tell which was more interesting. Surely, you can tell the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 07:10 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,413,148 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The NHL is not as popular as the NBA, with or without TV ratings. Some people will not watch hockey and hence will no know how interesting it can be. I no longer watch the NBA because it is of little interest to me (i.e., it's boring). Some people will watch even if a game is boring. TV ratings tell only how many people watched, it does not tell which was more interesting. Surely, you can tell the difference?
Surely u can't be this bias... To the point where logic is thrown out the window?

So lets get this straight... U don't watch the NBA because it doesn't interest you. And people who watch the NBA do not think it is interesting either?



It's more popular because more people find it interesting... Surely u can understand that. It's a simple concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,784 posts, read 23,805,237 times
Reputation: 6195
I follow and watch the Philadelphia Flyers, via the NHL Center Ice package. I watch every Flyer game, but don't watch the NHL except for the Flyers.

I also watch the NBA, but I do watch multiple basketball teams. I didn't watch the NHL playoffs after the Devils eliminated the Flyers, but I did watch the entire NBA playoffs once they got past the first round games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
4,969 posts, read 7,317,717 times
Reputation: 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Not according to the TV ratings...
Why are you on the Hockey forum with a post like that? Trolling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,102 posts, read 19,934,220 times
Reputation: 7715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Surely u can't be this bias... To the point where logic is thrown out the window?

So lets get this straight... U don't watch the NBA because it doesn't interest you. And people who watch the NBA do not think it is interesting either?



It's more popular because more people find it interesting... Surely u can understand that. It's a simple concept.
I get what you're saying, but I don't agree. Again, there can be an exciting hockey series going on that many miss because they won't watch it. The same people will watch a boring Basketball series. It has little to do with "interesting". The NBA sucks! I don't watch it. There might be an interesting game going on, but I still won't watch it. Popularity had little to do with "interesting". I guess that's too complicated for you.

Apparently, Lebron James is popular, but he sure as heck ain't interesting. I can think of plenty of hockey players who are more interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
17,032 posts, read 26,870,341 times
Reputation: 16189
Stanley Cup playoffs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NBA playoffs

Not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 02:35 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,413,148 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I get what you're saying, but I don't agree. Again, there can be an exciting hockey series going on that many miss because they won't watch it. The same people will watch a boring Basketball series. It has little to do with "interesting". The NBA sucks! I don't watch it. There might be an interesting game going on, but I still won't watch it. Popularity had little to do with "interesting". I guess that's too complicated for you.

Apparently, Lebron James is popular, but he sure as heck ain't interesting. I can think of plenty of hockey players who are more interesting.


You can disagree all you want out of spite, but you are wrong.

I'm going to break this down for you...

You are using the wrong word... Manderly tried to explain this to you a few posts ago. Maybe the NHL playoffs are more "compelling" or "dramatic". But "interest" is based on popularity.

Interest - something that concerns, involves, draws the attention of, or arouses the curiosity of a person:

Popular - appealing to the general public; widely favoured or admired

TV Ratings and Attendance are how the "draw" of sports are measured. Meaning, whatever people tune into, is what they find more interesting. The reason the NBA is more popular is because more people find it interesting. Simple and plain.

That's not a knock on the NHL. And certainly isn't a knock on Hockey. Basketball is just more popular and more interesting to the majority of people.

Now... if you wanna say the NHL playoffs are more compelling. Are more dramatic. Have more parody. Or are not as predictable... that may be a better assertion. But clearly the NBA playoffs are more interesting to the masses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The NBA sucks! I don't watch it.
And wouldnt this statement make you, not qualified to know which playoffs are more "interesting" since you dont watch the NBA to actually compare them?


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Why are you on the Hockey forum with a post like that? Trolling?
A post like that? Like What? You mean a lucid and rational post... not one based on emotion.

So that's not allowed in the Hockey forum? O wait... forgive me, I must not even be allowed to post in the Hockey forum without clearing it with you...

Last edited by Mr. GE; 06-25-2012 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Manila
1,144 posts, read 1,579,546 times
Reputation: 736
I live in a basketball crazy country so there's no way I can avoid knowing what happens in the NBA Playoffs. Nonetheless, hockey is my number one sport and I'd watch it over the NBA (or any basketball, and most other sports) any day of the week... And this is coming from someone who was once a basketball-nut in his childhood....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
Reputation: 54016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Stanley Cup playoffs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NBA playoffs

Not even close.
Preach it, brother!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top