U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:46 PM

4,854 posts, read 6,373,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
heard Lou Nanne saying that some of the teams that are bleeding money would actually be better off missing games and not losing as much money. He thought that they will likely lose a month to month and-a-half of the season and the players will need to get to the 50% portion of revenues but the hang up is what they count towards determining that revenue stream. Other major hang-up is the revenue sharing between the haves and the have-not teams.

season likely wouldn't be lost completely until they hit mid-January.
Possibly. The last lockout, however, crippled the NHL. A second lockout could wreak more havoc in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,662,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Possibly. The last lockout, however, crippled the NHL. A second lockout could wreak more havoc in the long run.
I honestly don't know what another lockout would do, but I know it can't be good. They are just finally recovering from the last lockout. This would be devastating, for the league, for the fans, and for the economies tied to the teams. In Detroit, where I'm originally from, downtown Detroit would be hurt greatly, as the games down at the JLA are about the only thing going on in Detroit during the winter months.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:25 PM

2,180 posts, read 3,691,342 times
At least most American sports fans probably have no idea this lockout may happen. Thus, many casual fans of many American-bases teams would have no reason to get mad. - at least at this stage.

The NFL lockout talk last year was on everyone's mind so anger could brew from the start.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 09-07-2012 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: changed mind

Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 AM

32,416 posts, read 59,921,822 times
Can't blame it on the Red Sox this year.

I hate it when educated men act like little boys on the playground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
At least most American sports fans probably have no idea this lockout may happen. Thus, many casual fans of many American-bases teams would have no reason to get mad. - at least at this stage.
Huh???

Old 09-11-2012, 07:46 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,117,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Huh???
I think it is fair to say a lot of casual sports fans are not aware that the NHL could have a lockout this fall, or is indifferent to the possibility. You can't get mad about what you don't know or care about.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:23 AM

10,907 posts, read 23,204,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
The only thing that will make a lockout worthwhile is if it led to the demise of the Coyotes, and the subsequent rebirth of the Nordiques! If the lockout doesn't lead to that, screw it and hope the get the season started on time!
Quebec already has investors willing to shell out $400 Milion to build a 20,000 seat arena and Ontario wants a second team and has another $300 Million doller arena already planed to be built team or no team they are going with a build it and they will come Attitude.

But will Gary Betteman let the Coyotes go since he always sesm to find a way to keep it from being Relocated to two places were there is already funding for a new Arena and buyers lined up to pay Cash and bring them either to Quebec as the Re-Born Quebec Nordiques Franchise or to the GTA and I guess they would have to come up with a team name and Logo and also have to deal with having a second franchise in the Maple Leafs backyard and the Leafs have some ppul in Region to make it hard to get a team to Reloacate there and it actually wil hurt the Buffalo Sabres due to the new proposed Arena being more in their territory and thus reduce their Canadian fanbase and they would take a hit on their spending and lose a good chunk of a Loyal Fanbase.

Heck atleast in Vancouver we are either trading Lougo to the Florida Panthers or he will be the Toronto Maple Leafs starting Goalie which will be odd but then again we do not play toronto more than a couple times a season and either that hapens or we have the most expensive Back up Goaltender where we would put him on waviers and send him down to the minors where a $64 Million Doller 2010 Gold Medal wnning Starting Goaltender who the next season backed us to a the first of 2 presidents and we made it to Game 7 of the SCF that is good with no pressure but out here in Vancouver we Ruin Goalies and the fans and Bobby Lou agree that it is time for him to leave Vancouver since he is not happy here anymore.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 PM

10,907 posts, read 23,204,756 times
I Really hate Gary Betteman with viewership at an all time high and with L.A. winning the Cup brings in some new fans in the what was a dying hockey team that neded this bost but a lockout that forces a lost season then the Kings will lose alot of what should be a good boost in Regular season attendace and a boost in merchandise sales and god press and interest but that will be lost if the season is lost.

Also it means that looks like Vancouver will not even have the chance to try and win it this year and also means that we have a team that is either win it this season or the window of wining it will close till we Rebuild and Edmonton knows the pains that go along with that and I mean congrats to L.A. I mean wining your first ever Stanley Cup is something I have waited my whole life to be able to experince it myself but it is a long wait and enjoy it since it is quite a feat you pulled off and were the underdogs going in but became the fan favorites around the league.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:01 AM

34,436 posts, read 41,547,959 times
With the owners making billions in profits and the players making all the previous sacrifices with wage roll backs and an acceptance of the salary cap among other things it strikes me the owners are getting a bit too greedy,Going to be tough for every one from fans to players to owners but the owners will sacrifice the season just to squeeze every last nickle and dime out of the game.very unfortunate.
I dont think the sport of NHL hockey has benefited under Bettmans rule, maybe its time he got the boot.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:38 AM

32,416 posts, read 59,921,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Also it means that looks like Vancouver will not even have the chance to try and win it this year

If there is no hockey season, no team will "have the chance to try and win it this year."

Old 09-14-2012, 02:00 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,410,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Quebec already has investors willing to shell out $400 Milion to build a 20,000 seat arena and Ontario wants a second team and has another $300 Million doller arena already planed to be built team or no team they are going with a build it and they will come Attitude.

But will Gary Betteman let the Coyotes go since he always sesm to find a way to keep it from being Relocated to two places were there is already funding for a new Arena and buyers lined up to pay Cash and bring them either to Quebec as the Re-Born Quebec Nordiques Franchise or to the GTA and I guess they would have to come up with a team name and Logo and also have to deal with having a second franchise in the Maple Leafs backyard and the Leafs have some ppul in Region to make it hard to get a team to Reloacate there and it actually wil hurt the Buffalo Sabres due to the new proposed Arena being more in their territory and thus reduce their Canadian fanbase and they would take a hit on their spending and lose a good chunk of a Loyal Fanbase.

Heck atleast in Vancouver we are either trading Lougo to the Florida Panthers or he will be the Toronto Maple Leafs starting Goalie which will be odd but then again we do not play toronto more than a couple times a season and either that hapens or we have the most expensive Back up Goaltender where we would put him on waviers and send him down to the minors where a $64 Million Doller 2010 Gold Medal wnning Starting Goaltender who the next season backed us to a the first of 2 presidents and we made it to Game 7 of the SCF that is good with no pressure but out here in Vancouver we Ruin Goalies and the fans and Bobby Lou agree that it is time for him to leave Vancouver since he is not happy here anymore.
The only issue with a team in QC is then you need to re-align the league. Seattle may come into play and would allow the Yotes to stay in their current conference. Not saying QC doesn't deserve a team but stating issues that may be motivating the League to keep the Yotes in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey