U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 PM

4,854 posts, read 6,381,588 times

Advertisements

Big name players are starting to sign deals in Europe. I wonder if the contracts have the option to return if/when NHL action begins or if the European clubs have locked them in for the season.

Kudos to the MLS props in this thread. Though, I won't give up on the NHL until it actually dies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 09:18 PM

21,409 posts, read 21,974,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
How about the Badgers? Exchange one Big 10 rodent for another..

Or is this a Jerry Lundegaard moment?
- How ya doin', Wade? - Yah. Pretty good. - What you watchin' there? - Gophers. - Who they playin'? - Oooh.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:23 AM

783 posts, read 835,581 times
Soccer is a great alternative, but don't count out the AHL. I've got season tickets, and I'll tell ya, it's still great hockey. Especially with the lockout, you'll see some familiar NHL faces around.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:57 AM

771 posts, read 1,211,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
Soccer is a great alternative, but don't count out the AHL. I've got season tickets, and I'll tell ya, it's still great hockey. Especially with the lockout, you'll see some familiar NHL faces around.
Cheers to that! The AHL is a great alternative. I live in DC, and I really enjoy making road-trips to Hershey to see the Bears play. It's a great experience: good affordable seats and food, great hockey and a great atmosphere. And you can tell the city of Hershey is really proud of its team. Plus it's really fun to see a lot of those guys make the Capitals, a good example being Braden Holtby. I saw him play a few games in Hershey last year and I fully expect him to win over the #1 position in Washington very soon.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
Cheers to that! The AHL is a great alternative. I live in DC, and I really enjoy making road-trips to Hershey to see the Bears play. It's a great experience: good affordable seats and food, great hockey and a great atmosphere. And you can tell the city of Hershey is really proud of its team. Plus it's really fun to see a lot of those guys make the Capitals, a good example being Braden Holtby. I saw him play a few games in Hershey last year and I fully expect him to win over the #1 position in Washington very soon.
Also, doesn't it seem like they try harder at the AHL? I know the Rampage are rated pretty highly for fan experience. They take pretty good care of their season ticket holders. It seems like we're always getting free stuff!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
There was a point in time when the Chicago Wolves sold more tickets than the Hawks (without a lockout). I think they will see another surge.

I used to go to IHL games in Kalamazoo, MI when I was a kid. Great times for dirt cheap. Tickets were $8-12 (granted this was the mid 90s). I fear this lockout could torpedo the Coyotes. If so I hope the Roadrunners come back on the minor circuit.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
There was a point in time when the Chicago Wolves sold more tickets than the Hawks (without a lockout). I think they will see another surge.

I used to go to IHL games in Kalamazoo, MI when I was a kid. Great times for dirt cheap. Tickets were $8-12 (granted this was the mid 90s). I fear this lockout could torpedo the Coyotes. If so I hope the Roadrunners come back on the minor circuit.
I live in Fort Wayne and the Komets played K Zoo all the time. Funny. I also actually still have a roadrunners jersey somewhere! I'd hope they could come back too.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I live in Fort Wayne and the Komets played K Zoo all the time. Funny. I also actually still have a roadrunners jersey somewhere! I'd hope they could come back too.
One of the Wings/Komets games I saw had fights after the opening puck dropped. It was like Slap Shot. Loved it. Fantastic memories. Are the Komets still around? Are they, by chance, in the league the Wings are in now?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:58 PM

25,583 posts, read 31,915,031 times
Gawd the NFL season has taken a turn for the stupid, the NHL in lockout. This winter is going to suck bigtime.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,017,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
One of the Wings/Komets games I saw had fights after the opening puck dropped. It was like Slap Shot. Loved it. Fantastic memories. Are the Komets still around? Are they, by chance, in the league the Wings are in now?
Yes, I believe they are both in the ECHL now. I grew up in Fort Wayne and LOVED Komet games. Remember the Indianapolis Ice/ Komets rivalry? Those were some intense matches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey