U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:50 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,909,758 times

Advertisements

Nobody is happier than the business owners near the arenas and their bar/waitstaffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 01:56 PM

7,240 posts, read 8,249,975 times
I've been the AHL more than I have before during this lockout.

The NHL really tested my fanhood throughout these past few months but I'm definitely back.

So no.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 PM

25,931 posts, read 13,475,238 times
I've been a hockey fan since my childhood in the 50s. I used to keep my ear pressed to the furnace vent in my bedroom because I could hear Foster Hewitt calling the game from the living room downstairs. Jean Beliveau was my hero. Although I was born and grew up 50 miles from Toronto, I became a Habs fan.

So much for my credentials as a fan...

I'm still frickin' pissed at the last lockout, nevermind this one.

A pox on all their houses. I won't attend any games or buy any NHL-related merchandise. I may or may not watch some games on television. I used to watch several a week. After the last lockout, that dropped to a couple a month. I tend to only watch the Stanley Cup final unless a Canuck team remains in contention for a longish run. I may not even watch the final this year.

I really, really, really hope fans show their displeasure the only way the NHL will recognize:

1-Don't go to games.

2-Don't buy the merchandise.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:08 PM

23,777 posts, read 65,922,095 times
I have had a growing lack of interest for sports in general the last couple of years and I no longer have the channel that is showing NHL in Sweden.
It is all about business and entertainment nowadays and no one cares for the sport itself.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:00 AM

2,180 posts, read 3,693,866 times
Just saw on a CBS NHL tweet that the Flyers have sold more season tix since lockout ended than they had lost. Chicago has added 250 more names to their waiting list since the lockout ended. Heard last month that only 50 or 75 Sabres and Pens fans dropped their tix.

Hmmm...

Old 01-13-2013, 12:37 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,889,081 times
Hard to take this season as serious as a normal one for me. They have already lost about 3 months of the season. A rushed training camp. A very cramped schedule. I have questions as to how well the quality of play will be this year. IMO, who ever wins the Cup this year will have a diminished memory due to the shortened season.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:46 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,202,697 times
I think it does, so does the fact that my team is moving to Brooklyn, and one of my stars (Lubomir) decided to be a putz and stay in Europe and claims that it is based on personal/family reasons. How much you want to bet he comes back if he is going to lose alot of money or when he becomes a free agent.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:41 PM

2,180 posts, read 3,693,866 times
Seems that NBA fans don't consider the Heat's title last year as diminished, but I could be wrong.

Hockey'S title is even more grueling to win than basketball's, so for that reason alone, maybe it's more diminished if someone wins it without the grueling longer season. But wouldn't this year's compressed schedule make it demanding in its own special way, thus worthy of The Cup?

Wow, just saw one of the local Sunday night network sports shows at 11:30 pm in Boston. We have three going head to head. After all the Pats' coverage of their playoff win, did some Bbruins talk. The Garden stands looked very empty in the lower bowl. Not sure if it was free and open to all. Maybe the Pats' late afternoon game impacted the turnout. Not that it would have filled the Garden in past years before for a practice...

Otherwise, the city does seem pumped for the season...

Heard that Blues and Tampa each drew 5,000-6,000 for a practice. Dallas had a strong and enthusiastic turnout according to their GM. Saw these on ESPN's NHL page in their tweets section. I like reading their tweets on that page, discovering it during the lockout for updated tweets.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 PM

4,854 posts, read 6,377,822 times
Earlier tonight I tried to order a pair of tickets to both Red Wings games in Phoenix. I was on hold for over 10 minutes before I had to hang up to attend to other things. Either the demand has gone up or the ticketing department is bare bones. The Coyotes are playing this smart and offering tickets as low as $20 (low last year was $35, I think).

Old 01-15-2013, 06:39 AM

32,431 posts, read 59,956,055 times
I admit I'm kinda getting excited for Saturday.

Maybe it's because the Flyers got Brian Boucher back. Again.

Or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey