Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,921,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Uh... no.
Not even close.
MLS highest attendance average: 42,751
MLS lowest attendance average: 13,055

NHL highest attendance average: 21,533
NHL lowest attendance average: 12,420

NBA highest attendance average: 22,161
NBA lowest attendance average: 13,961

Despite what many want to believe soccer has grown in the United States during the past decade at all levels. Ten years ago it was difficult to catch a game on television. Not the case anymore. The game is getting more popular and it's growing in popularity among key demographics (younger generations).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Dude I like me some soccer but don't get your hopes up, check local ratings for Detroit, Pittsburgh or Philly when they are in the playoffs, then check local MLS ratings, not even close man.

Anyways, something tells me that unless they take a GOOD LONG sitdown and really iron things out, this will happen again in a decade. Not good for the American revenue stream as the silence was and still is deafening.
I get your point but you've conveniently thrown out three teams with a huge following that spans decades. How are those same ratings in, say, Seattle or Portland?

Old 01-06-2013, 10:28 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,267,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post

Despite what many want to believe soccer has grown in the United States during the past decade at all levels. Ten years ago it was difficult to catch a game on television. Not the case anymore. The game is getting more popular and it's growing in popularity among key demographics (younger generations).
Let's try total attendance and total revenue.

They're miles apart. My caution would be more like a decade or two down the road.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:31 PM

215 posts, read 181,463 times
Quote:

How many games does the MLS (quite a WEAK league by international standards) a season? I also think the tickets are far cheaper.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Let's try total attendance and total revenue.

They're miles apart. My caution would be more like a decade or two down the road.
That's the point. MLS is and has been growing. The NHL has not and has been doing nothing but cannibalizing itself the past decade. Games used to be on ESPN2 and FOX every week. Now they're on a channel many people don't even get. I'm 31 years old. In my lifetime there is a credible chance that soccer gains immense popularity. MLS also does not change rules in a lame attempt to lure in more fans. What good did all the rule changes do for the NHL? Where are all these new fans these changes were set to lure in?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 AM

22,265 posts, read 47,198,180 times
Quote:

Average attendance? Irrelevant.
How about total attendance and total revenue....

MLS doesn't get local TV coverage here in Pittsburgh. Even our Riverhounds rarely get a mention, even during their season.

Yes, soccer has grown. But it still is not close to overtaking hockey in popularity.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 AM

18,147 posts, read 25,686,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes2006champs View Post
good.

Now, no more of this, ever, again.
Absolutely!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 AM

215 posts, read 181,463 times
Quote:
That's the point. MLS is and has been growing. The NHL has not and has been doing nothing but cannibalizing itself the past decade. Games used to be on ESPN2 and FOX every week. Now they're on a channel many people don't even get. I'm 31 years old. In my lifetime there is a credible chance that soccer gains immense popularity. MLS also does not change rules in a lame attempt to lure in more fans. What good did all the rule changes do for the NHL? Where are all these new fans these changes were set to lure in?
They have weekly games on NBC.

Seriously, while the MLS will grow (a little) it's not close to competing with the NHL, IMO.

Plus the past five years at least they kept up with attendance and surpassed some teams in the NBA in markets where there are both NBA and NHL.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:51 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,361,347 times
Quote:

I love the fact when people bring up attendance numbers. Do you may attention to what the capacity of the arena is?? The MLS teams have a minimum capacity of at least 25 or 30 thousand, whereabouts the NHL/NBA have a maximum capacity of about 22,000. Of course MLS will draw more fans......................they have more then half the number of seats to fill.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,361,347 times
Happy that hockey's back, but the Islanders will still suck, and were still stuck with Bettman as commissioner, and this is probably gonna happen again in 8 years.

Also, someone mentioned this earlier, but the regular season is gonna be a joke. I say start a 3 week training camp the day after this gets signed on the dotted line, start the regular seson on or about February 4, and play 30 games; 20 against your division (5 games against the other 4 teams), and 1 each against the other 10 teams in your conference. In the short amount of time, NHL can't have the codensed schedule the NBA had last year any team playing more then 3 times a week is asking for trouble with how demanding the sport is. This isn't the best case scenerio, but it actually makes the regular season interesting since your just playing your conference and the schedule is mostly the same for every team in the league. Some divisions are harder then others (Atlantic and Central are better then the South), but with the time I think that works the best. That's just my 2 cents, feel free to pile on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey