U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 02:22 PM

3,817 posts, read 1,009,710 times

Advertisements

Dubnyk looked really good last night. Seeing him in net at his size must be a daunting sight for opponents - growing up playing hockey in MN and having played in some of the most competitive leagues growing up, a massive goalie like that can be demoralizing.

Crawford looked just massive too. Both goalies looked fantastic last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 02:24 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
Dubnyk now 10 - 1 against the Hawks as a Wild in the regular season

Old 10-14-2017, 08:31 AM

Bad injury to Nino; bad injury to Coyle.

We'll see if they can rise to the occasion.

Nice to see how the NHL started us out with 3 games in like 10 days...thanks again Buttman for giving us a ****ty start to our schedule once again.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:02 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,538,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
Bad injury to Nino; bad injury to Coyle.

We'll see if they can rise to the occasion.

Nice to see how the NHL started us out with 3 games in like 10 days...thanks again Buttman for giving us a ****ty start to our schedule once again.
And Foligno gets his head taken off in a fight on top of it. If he can't protect himself then he doesn't need to be fighting, because they cannot afford to have him out of the lineup while everyone else are dropping like flies.

I have never seen so many injuries to so many key players right at the beginning of the season. The Wild do not have a goalie who can put the team on his shoulders for a long stretch, either. Parise and Granlund in particular need to get their butts back in the lineup or the team will be buried in the standings within the next 2 weeks. Teams are piling up points while Minnesota doesn't play due to this idiotic scheduling by the league.

And someone remind me exactly why Ryan Suter is making $9 million a year to stand around and poke his stick at guys flying past him? That contract is backloaded and is going to cripple them in the coming years. I'm missing Scandella already, I can tell you that much.

All this talk in town of seeing what the youngsters can do in the meantime, but this wasn't supposed to be a season where they're counting on guys from Iowa. This is an experienced, veteran team that should be lighting it up and stockpiling 2 points a night on a regular basis.

I know it's still early, but I'm telling you this team cannot afford to fall too far in the standings or they'll wind up either missing the playoffs or facing a 1 or 2 seed in the first round.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
And Foligno gets his head taken off in a fight on top of it. If he can't protect himself then he doesn't need to be fighting, because they cannot afford to have him out of the lineup while everyone else are dropping like flies.

I have never seen so many injuries to so many key players right at the beginning of the season. The Wild do not have a goalie who can put the team on his shoulders for a long stretch, either. Parise and Granlund in particular need to get their butts back in the lineup or the team will be buried in the standings within the next 2 weeks. Teams are piling up points while Minnesota doesn't play due to this idiotic scheduling by the league.

And someone remind me exactly why Ryan Suter is making $9 million a year to stand around and poke his stick at guys flying past him? That contract is backloaded and is going to cripple them in the coming years. I'm missing Scandella already, I can tell you that much.

All this talk in town of seeing what the youngsters can do in the meantime, but this wasn't supposed to be a season where they're counting on guys from Iowa. This is an experienced, veteran team that should be lighting it up and stockpiling 2 points a night on a regular basis.

I know it's still early, but I'm telling you this team cannot afford to fall too far in the standings or they'll wind up either missing the playoffs or facing a 1 or 2 seed in the first round.
There's been a couple stretches in the last few years where Dubnyk literally carried this team. I disagree with you there. And he looked as good as I've ever seen him at the United Center a few nights ago.

Not that I want to have to fall back on him at all, I just think he's among the elite in the league. I don't have a lot of trust in Stalock, though I'd like to, if only he had another couple inches on his frame.

The scheduling seems to happen like this to us every year though.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Dubnyk looked really good last night. Seeing him in net at his size must be a daunting sight for opponents - growing up playing hockey in MN and having played in some of the most competitive leagues growing up, a massive goalie like that can be demoralizing.
What's demoralizing right now is his 89% save percentage after 3 games as the team heads into a long stretch minus much of its top talent. The defense had better clamp down and start helping him out buy reducing opposing shots on goal (hello? Suter at -4 and Spurgeon at -3), because they've been on the wrong end of that stat line 3 games in a row. The power play has stunk. They need to be finding the back of the net on the man advantage because it only makes sense to think goal production is going to suffer with so many key guys currently out. They can't keep thinking 4th line guys like Stewart are going to carry the load offensively.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
There's been a couple stretches in the last few years where Dubnyk literally carried this team. I disagree with you there. And he looked as good as I've ever seen him at the United Center a few nights ago.
I just don't see him holding up over this stretch of injuries if he's going to face 40 shots a night. They have to play better and help him out.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:38 AM

Having literally another week off and haven't even played 5 games now...

I wonder if this won't be a blessing in disguise...maybe, maybe not. Having all these days off so early in the season isn't ideal at all, but having so many guys out, maybe it will work out for us by the time the year is over...

Old 10-17-2017, 12:31 PM

19,983 posts, read 18,915,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Foligno played his way out of the Buffalo Sabres. Losing fights and bumming around will help him play his way out of the Minnesota Wild.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:19 AM

Well I hope Dubnyk is good and rested because Stalock looks like he's ready to fight for the starting job in net. Fantastic showing last night in Calgary, epsecially that 18 save first period after the D apparently didn't get the message that the game had started.

That's how Dubs needs to play if he expects to keep his job during this rash of forward injuries. Goaltending is what have you done for me lately, especially for a perennially underachieving team like the Wild. The calls for Stalock are already cascading down from the fan base, and if Devan is the "elite" netminder some of you think he is then he needs to respond and show it, because right now the Minny blue line is softer than a roll of microwaved Charmin.

Perfect time, too. 6 game homestand opening Tuesday night at the X vs. Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or