U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-22-2017, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Up North
3,979 posts, read 1,042,983 times
Reputation: 2353

Advertisements

Maybe it's just me but Stalock looks small. Like, too small.

I need to see much more of a sample size before I would give him the keys to starting goalie.

He was good last night but I still am not sold on him, even though I want him to succeed like heck, being a SSP product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-27-2017, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Cambridge, Isanti County, MN
2,941 posts, read 4,554,615 times
Reputation: 3860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
Maybe it's just me but Stalock looks small. Like, too small.

I need to see much more of a sample size before I would give him the keys to starting goalie.

He was good last night but I still am not sold on him, even though I want him to succeed like heck, being a SSP product.
Well, I'm not sold on Dubnyk. 4 goals allowed again last night in what should have been a runaway win. At least 2 of those goals were mush. I'm sorry, he does not impress me......at all. Aside from being a huge guy he doesn't seem to have much going to counter his poor lateral movement and weak glove side. I know the D hasn't been in top form, but this guy is being paid top level money to make those saves. He's anything but an "elite" NHL netminder right now. Don't be surprised to see Stalock in goal vs. the Pens tomorrow night. It's time to light a fire under Dubnyk's rump.

On a positive note, Staal is still a beast and is playing great. Stewart continues to be a net hound, and Granlund's presence was immediately felt in his return. 2 rookie goals last night were also just what the doctor ordered. They need offensive contributions form as many guys as possible.

Nino is supposed to be back sometime next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2017, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Up North
3,979 posts, read 1,042,983 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Well, I'm not sold on Dubnyk. 4 goals allowed again last night in what should have been a runaway win. At least 2 of those goals were mush. I'm sorry, he does not impress me......at all. Aside from being a huge guy he doesn't seem to have much going to counter his poor lateral movement and weak glove side. I know the D hasn't been in top form, but this guy is being paid top level money to make those saves. He's anything but an "elite" NHL netminder right now. Don't be surprised to see Stalock in goal vs. the Pens tomorrow night. It's time to light a fire under Dubnyk's rump.

On a positive note, Staal is still a beast and is playing great. Stewart continues to be a net hound, and Granlund's presence was immediately felt in his return. 2 rookie goals last night were also just what the doctor ordered. They need offensive contributions form as many guys as possible.

Nino is supposed to be back sometime next week.
Dubnyk isn't getting elite money - as I recall when we resigned him to his most recent deal he was still like 16th (middle of the pack) money for starting NHL goalies.


Is he elite? On any given night he can play elite. I didn't see most of the game last night but watching the highlights now, he has to save the knuckler from the blue line. No exceptions. I'll take your word there was another stinker in there.


WIth that said, it's still EARLY yet. How many games have we played, 8? Dubnyk played 6? He only let in one goal the other night in that terrible game we played against Vancouver.


Goalies are nutcases. The season is young.


Dubnyk brought this entire team to the post season on his back at least once, maybe two seasons. He's legit good. I'm not going to say he can't completely fall off the face of the planet, because I've seen it with goalies in the NHL before, but I trust he'll get in to form here in due time.


If not, I will hop on board with starting Stalock but i'm not even close to that level of panic right now lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2017, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, Isanti County, MN
2,941 posts, read 4,554,615 times
Reputation: 3860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
Dubnyk isn't getting elite money - as I recall when we resigned him to his most recent deal he was still like 16th (middle of the pack) money for starting NHL goalies.
By top level I meant he's being paid as a starting/established NHL goalie. I know he's not making Lundqvist or Rask money......but he's still making 5 million a year, and so far not coming close to earning it this season.

Yes, it's still early......but with the early playoff exit at the hands of the Blues still fresh in the fans minds they're demanding better from every aspect of this team.......and unfortunately for Devan the goalie is always the first one under the microscope in this particular sport. That's just the way it is. Hey, I hope he gets white hot and shuts me up at his earliest convenience, don't get me wrong.

Just for the record, I'm not a big Chuck Fletcher fan, either. Even less so after Scandella and Haula were cut loose. The loss of Scandella especially has already been a glaring mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2017, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Up North
3,979 posts, read 1,042,983 times
Reputation: 2353
Well Dubnyk was fine against an offensive minded Cup Champs last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2017, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Cambridge, Isanti County, MN
2,941 posts, read 4,554,615 times
Reputation: 3860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
Well Dubnyk was fine against an offensive minded Cup Champs last night.
First, this years version of the Pens is hardly the same team that won the Cup last season. They had a good bit of turnover and have had their butts handed to them several times this year already.

Second, Dubs only faced 30 shots. That's what I'm talking about. If they can keep the shots against to a reasonable number it helps him immensely.

He was solid against Pittsburgh, though, and I'm happy he had a good game. The team is hanging in there while guys continue to mend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2017, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Up North
3,979 posts, read 1,042,983 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
First, this years version of the Pens is hardly the same team that won the Cup last season. They had a good bit of turnover and have had their butts handed to them several times this year already.

Second, Dubs only faced 30 shots. That's what I'm talking about. If they can keep the shots against to a reasonable number it helps him immensely.

He was solid against Pittsburgh, though, and I'm happy he had a good game. The team is hanging in there while guys continue to mend.
Pittsburgh, honestly, I thought outplayed us in large chunks of the game, not the least of which was the second half of the 3rd period and Dubnyk stood up to the challenge.




I just think...he needs to REALLY stink it up for me to start seeing it from your angle.


I just looked and you're right, Dubnyk is currently 29TH in the league in GAA. Granted some of the goalies ahead of him have only played 3 or 4 games, but I just think he'll come around.


I just don't really trust Stalock to hand him the keys to the franchise at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2017, 05:05 AM
 
Location: Up North
3,979 posts, read 1,042,983 times
Reputation: 2353
I think Dubnyk looked fine last night. A little luck, but the one goal that did penetrate was a deflection he isn't stopping in this lifetime.


Kind of a crumby way to the last 7 minutes of the game last night.


Neidereitter has looked good since coming back - much needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2017, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Cambridge, Isanti County, MN
2,941 posts, read 4,554,615 times
Reputation: 3860
Finally.....a standout game from Dubnyk last night. Even with the Habs being horrible this year, that is not an easy place to win, say nothing of posting a 41 save shutout. Ya gotta start somewhere. Now he needs to show he can do it consistently......and against teams a whole lot better than that one........which is pretty much the rest of the league at this point.

The Montreal goalie Lindgren is from Lakeville. Had no idea this was one of the hockey hot spots in the Twin Cities metro when we moved here. Lotta talent produced out of this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2017, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Up North
3,979 posts, read 1,042,983 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Finally.....a standout game from Dubnyk last night. Even with the Habs being horrible this year, that is not an easy place to win, say nothing of posting a 41 save shutout. Ya gotta start somewhere. Now he needs to show he can do it consistently......and against teams a whole lot better than that one........which is pretty much the rest of the league at this point.

The Montreal goalie Lindgren is from Lakeville. Had no idea this was one of the hockey hot spots in the Twin Cities metro when we moved here. Lotta talent produced out of this area.


Lakeville never was a power house until recently in the history of the state/Twin Cities hockey scene.


I think if not the fastest growing area in the state, right at the top with Woodbury and Blaine.


I was more excited to see Zucker get his first hatty last night. I'm surprised he's never had one yet. I think the's got the game and drive to put up at least 40 in a season. It's nice to see him have 5 now in the last two games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top