Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 01:42 PM

8,282 posts, read 23,067,579 times

Advertisements

Chicago Third Grader Aces Math Test: 9x9 = 'Hossa'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 02:15 PM

708 posts, read 953,065 times
Beware the Kings. They scare me.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:58 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,878,432 times
Hawks won tonight...need two more.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:33 AM

14,182 posts, read 22,694,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
We'll give 'em respect when they give some back.
Trying to remove the splinter from our eyes, huh? The worst I've heard a Penguins fan say is that they knew [insert opponent here] didn't have a chance against the Penguins. That's nothing compared to the horse**** conspiracy theories people have hatched about the Penguins in the last several years. It's made me want to ask some compelling questions:

1. If the Penguins deliberately tanked in order to maximize their chances of winning the NHL draft lottery in 2005, then why was 2003 the year when they had their big salary dump?

2. If Sidney Crosby is overrated, then why is everybody so upset that the Penguins have him? Other players are better, no?

3. How come nobody hates the Edmonton Oilers for winning the draft lottery three years in a row? Even the Penguins have only won it once since 2000.

4. How come nobody hates the Chicago Blackhawks or New York Islanders for building their teams the exact same way the Penguins did, with a series of high draft picks?

5. If the Penguins are shown favoritism by the NHL and the referees, then why have they only won the Stanley Cup once since the lockout?

6. The Buffalo Sabres, Los Angeles Kings and Ottawa Senators have all declared bankruptcy in the last 20 years, just like the Penguins. Do those three fan bases not deserve a team either?

7. If fan support was such a problem, then why did the Penguins even bother negotiating for a new arena in Pittsburgh in the first place? Why didn't they just leave?

Even the worst Penguins fan is more respectable than anybody who believes any of the stupid **** that I've heard people try to pass off as facts about the Penguins. Besides, there are fans of every winning playoff team that boast about how "easy" their series were against other teams.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:07 PM

15,411 posts, read 25,753,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Trying to remove the splinter from our eyes, huh? The worst I've heard a Penguins fan say is that they knew [insert opponent here] didn't have a chance against the Penguins. That's nothing compared to the horse**** conspiracy theories people have hatched about the Penguins in the last several years. It's made me want to ask some compelling questions:

1. If the Penguins deliberately tanked in order to maximize their chances of winning the NHL draft lottery in 2005, then why was 2003 the year when they had their big salary dump?

2. If Sidney Crosby is overrated, then why is everybody so upset that the Penguins have him? Other players are better, no?

3. How come nobody hates the Edmonton Oilers for winning the draft lottery three years in a row? Even the Penguins have only won it once since 2000.

4. How come nobody hates the Chicago Blackhawks or New York Islanders for building their teams the exact same way the Penguins did, with a series of high draft picks?

5. If the Penguins are shown favoritism by the NHL and the referees, then why have they only won the Stanley Cup once since the lockout?

6. The Buffalo Sabres, Los Angeles Kings and Ottawa Senators have all declared bankruptcy in the last 20 years, just like the Penguins. Do those three fan bases not deserve a team either?

7. If fan support was such a problem, then why did the Penguins even bother negotiating for a new arena in Pittsburgh in the first place? Why didn't they just leave?

Even the worst Penguins fan is more respectable than anybody who believes any of the stupid **** that I've heard people try to pass off as facts about the Penguins. Besides, there are fans of every winning playoff team that boast about how "easy" their series were against other teams.

I was referring to the lack of respect shown towards the Red Wings and their fans since 2008. I got nothing against the Pens or even Crosby, but I definitely remember the Pens and their fans superiority complex. Granted, it might have been the obnoxious bandwagon fans drowning out the good fans (happens to every team that wins), but I think it was more than that. Detroit and Pittsburgh seemed to be developing a rivalry, but it fizzled out since they were in different conferences. Maybe next year!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:16 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,878,432 times
Quote:

Didn't seem there was much support for the Pens until they got Mario, then Sid. Fair weather city, spoiled by the Steelers.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:41 AM

708 posts, read 953,065 times
So how many years in a row does it take before they are no longer considered a fair weather fan base? Mario through 2013 is almost 30 years. I think that is long enough.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:43 AM

15,411 posts, read 25,753,667 times
I guess I get to be the sore loser today. The refs helped Chicago to a game 7. Detroit, however, should have never let it get that far in the first place. The refs only helped, they were not the ones who gave the game away though. Smith did that.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 AM

41,933 posts, read 75,047,760 times
Quote:
Time for people to start giving the Penguins the respect they've earned.
*yawn*

Old 05-29-2013, 11:58 AM

11,212 posts, read 10,987,792 times
If the Kings keep playing the way they did last night, I think they could be able to beat any of the remaining teams for the cup.

And my hats off to the Sharks as well. They looked doomed after Game 2 and came storming back. They just might have won the series if it was not for that epic Game 2 collapse in the last three minutes of the 3rd period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey