U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 11:52 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,467,569 times

Advertisements

With playoff season just 9 days away, let's start the official thread. If the playoffs were held today, below you would find the current match ups. Nice to speculate. Will the Kings advance to another final? Will the Blackhawks rise again to another title? Who are the teams to watch for? Who is the dark horse in each conference? Will the heat of mid to late June affect the quality of ice in a number of arenas? Who do you think has the hottest goaltender right now?

2012-2013 Current NHL Playoff Matchups, Pairings - National Hockey League - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 AM

6,837 posts, read 7,897,920 times
The points are still pretty tight amongst most of the teams in regards to final seedings. Once the first round matchups are set, I'll most definitely be back to give my predictions.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:21 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,653,702 times
While I'm still holding out for a Winnipeg miracle, Columbus is the only team I can realistically see dropping out, as Detroit's only 3 points back, with 2 games in hand.

On the other hand, we could see a lot of shuffling.

Montreal and Boston could switch between the #2 and #4 seed in the east. The two New York teams and Ottawa are a toss up for the #6, #7 and #8 seeds. I see Pittsburgh, Washington and probably Toronto as having a lock on their respective spots in the east.

The #7 and #8 spots in the West could go to Detroit, Columbus and Minnesota, in any order. I don't see Minnesota dropping out entirely, though.

I'd give Dallas and Winnipeg an outside chance of squeezing in at the last moment.

I'll hold on off on series predictions until things firm up a little.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,649,557 times
Many Pens fans are holding out for a Winnipeg miracle also!

Old 04-23-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Many Pens fans are holding out for a Winnipeg miracle also!
I can't see the Rangers missing altogether - they've got Florida, Carolina and New Jersey to round out the year. I'd expect no less than 2 wins from them -probably 3.

The Islanders have Carolina, Philadelphia and Buffalo. A veritable cakewalk for them, too.

Ottawa's in trouble, with Washington, Philadelphia and Boston. I don't much like their odds against Boston or Washington.

Washington's got Winnipeg, Ottawa, Boston. Neither terribly difficult nor terribly easy, though they've been great lately.

Winnipeg's got Washington, then Montreal. Again, not a good schedule to finish with. I think the game in Washington tonight will make or break this season for them.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:38 PM

6,703 posts, read 5,787,675 times
Ah well, there is always next year.

Hope we can get rid of a few guys and start fresh. (Hainsey, Miettinen, Thorburn, Wellwood etc)

Old 04-26-2013, 09:41 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,467,569 times
My St. Louis Blues are in and looking good in the stretch run. Brian Elliot is peaking and Jaroslav Halak is coming back from his injury. I'd love to see another Kings/Blues matchup to avenge last year. I think the West is stronger this year overall. Yes the Hawks and the Pens are very good but anything can happen in the playoffs and home ice was not even much of a factor last year. Go Blues!!!

Old 04-26-2013, 10:52 PM

6,837 posts, read 7,897,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
My St. Louis Blues are in and looking good in the stretch run. Brian Elliot is peaking and Jaroslav Halak is coming back from his injury. I'd love to see another Kings/Blues matchup to avenge last year. I think the West is stronger this year overall. Yes the Hawks and the Pens are very good but anything can happen in the playoffs and home ice was not even much of a factor last year. Go Blues!!!
It will be interesting to see how the 4, 5, and 6 seeds play out in the West with the Blues, Sharks, and Kings on Saturday evening. As a Kings fan, I'd love to see the first round against the Blues or Canucks. I dread the thought of facing San Jose in Round 1.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:02 PM

32,377 posts, read 59,836,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Same here.

Still trying to decide who to root for in the playoffs.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post

Hope we can get rid of a few guys and start fresh. (Hainsey, Miettinen, Thorburn, Wellwood etc)
Scheifele should be ready to go for next year too, I think. Trouba, too, if we're lucky.

I like the look of our defense and I think we're fairly sound that way (the odd player notwithstanding).
We desperately need a competent right winger to replace Wellwood. Kane really needs linemates, generally.
I'm still not sold on Pavalec, either, though I try to remember that he's still young. He's got the reflexes, certainly, so maybe with continued coaching, he'll get a little more solid.

I have moderately high hopes for next year.

------------------------------------------

Looks like the West is set, so I'll make some (awful, baseless) predictions. I like:

Chicago-Minnesota
Minnesota's been pretty mediocre the last month. Chicago holds the season series lead at 2-0-1.
Chicago in 5.

Anaheim- Detroit
Similar to above, Anaheim hasn't been that good. Detroit holds the season series lead. I'm not convinced that Anaheim won't wake up and play during this series though.
Anaheim in 7.

Vancouver- San Jose
Vancouver hasn't beaten San Jose this year. They're also not known for showing up come playoff time.
San Jose in 6.

St. Louis- LA
The Kings have beaten St. Louis 8 times straight, counting last years playoffs. Quick hasn't played as well as last year, but he could certainly get hot. That 8 straight number keeps staring me in the face though.
LA in 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or