U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:14 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,799,284 times

Advertisements

The nickname Lancer and the state of Virginia, not those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 PM

671 posts, read 827,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I guess I should have figured out that some of those names had to do with their big brothers in the NHL

But I am still curious about the Cleveland Barons name. I can't seem to place a connection with Baron to the city of Cleveland. Am I missing something such as a famous Clevelander that was known as a Baron?
I'm not sure what the connection was either, it appears that they were named that in 1937 through a public contest. The Barons were a charter member of the AHL and at some point joined the WHL before the NHL.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:40 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,713,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
If I recall correctly, the Toros mascot was a bull and the name came from a contest run by a newspaper.
Toro is Spanish for bull, so I suppose they changed it when they moved to give it an English name and keep the alliteration.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:28 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,167,632 times
I think the Toros nickname was based on the team's location, Toronto. When the team moved to Birmingham, to save money, they kept the same uniforms but changed the team nickname to maintain the alliteration.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:32 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,167,632 times
BTW, the Los Angeles Sharks had some of the coolest-looking uniforms in the history of hockey - red and black color scheme and a shark that looks like a killer whale with its mouth open looking right at you.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:55 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,424,692 times
Don't forget the California Seals. Connected with the Cleveland Barons and Minnesota North Stars.
California Golden Seals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-15-2014, 07:05 AM

1,591 posts, read 993,974 times
In a lost bid for an NHL team.. Back in the 90s, there was the Hampton Roads Rhinos.. This was leading up to the Hurricanes eventually coming into the league.
Hampton Roads (Norfolk-Virginia Beach VA. area) was trying to court an NHL franchise, based on their success with the ECHL team Hampton Roads (turned Norfolk) Admirals. Couldn't get the deal done. I guess their name Rhinos, was based on the alliteration of Roads & Rhinos.. 'cuz not many rhinos wandering around urban southeast Virginia..

Also remember the Atlanta Flames (turned Calgary Flames), referencing the Civil War torching of ATL..

Old 03-17-2014, 08:55 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,286,990 times
I will mention the Indianapolis "racers " who had a smallish winger by the name of Gretzki, during their short tenure in the WHL.

Any body have that rookie card ?

In western Canada some historic minor league team names, from the past.

Trail Smoke Eaters. New Westminister Salmon Bellys. Brandon Wheat Kings.

In Ontario, Whitby Dunlops ( yes the tire company ), Oshawa Generals ( Oshawa is the home of General Motors of Canada ) Kingston Frontenacs after a old car company, North Bay Nuggets( North Bay was once a mining town). Toronto St Michaels College ( a catholic boys school that fed players to the Leafs for generations ) .

JIm B.

Toronto.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:54 PM

21,442 posts, read 22,000,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I will mention the Indianapolis "racers " who had a smallish winger by the name of Gretzki, during their short tenure in the WHL.

Any body have that rookie card ?

In western Canada some historic minor league team names, from the past.

Trail Smoke Eaters. New Westminister Salmon Bellys. Brandon Wheat Kings.

In Ontario, Whitby Dunlops ( yes the tire company ), Oshawa Generals ( Oshawa is the home of General Motors of Canada ) Kingston Frontenacs after a old car company, North Bay Nuggets( North Bay was once a mining town). Toronto St Michaels College ( a catholic boys school that fed players to the Leafs for generations ) .

JIm B.

Toronto.
nobody has that card as there weren't any legitimate ones made that year

you can buy a fake one on E-bay for about $12, I think they started making these sometime in the 80's and probably still are.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:11 AM

382 posts, read 535,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is no exact translation for nordiques, which technically is the adjective "nordic", but the closest thing would probably be "northerners".
Always thought that Minnesota Wilds and Quebec Nordiques, in similar ways, have unconvential hockey team names, where were more of an adjective than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey