Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 06:20 PM

467 posts, read 1,188,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by draketheshocker11 View Post
You mean like phoenix?
Why...yes! As I mentioned in my last post before yours, Phoenix is a great hockey town. The coyotes don't have a big base and the majority of the poeple that go see the team are there ot watch the other team. But the fact of the matter is....the seats are sold out all the time!

As a business man's point of view, who care who comes to see the team as long as you buy my ticket and drink the $6.00 beer I have in my rink. Oh buy the way, don't forget to eat while you are there. This way I can have all of the money in your wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:47 PM

3,865 posts, read 4,065,118 times
I say bring a team to Charlotte, if not for the very reason that I live here. I hope once Pat McCrory becomes Gov. here in NC, he moves the Canes over to where they should be.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:48 PM

8,790 posts, read 10,212,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
I say bring a team to Charlotte, if not for the very reason that I live here. I hope once Pat McCrory becomes Gov. here in NC, he moves the Canes over to where they should be.
I dont think Raleigh would let that happen. and Tom Sorenson would have a fit, remember his ridiculous comments about the team the day after they won the Cup? He should have been fired for that.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:01 PM

8,790 posts, read 10,212,680 times
Someone here metioned the league should go back to divisional names like the norris,adams, etc. I think that would be a great idea as some of the geographical ones dont make sense, like Dallas in the Pacific.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,749,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Someone here metioned the league should go back to divisional names like the norris,adams, etc. I think that would be a great idea as some of the geographical ones dont make sense, like Dallas in the Pacific.
totally agree!

Old 08-14-2008, 05:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,277,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Amen. They should also group all the Original 6 teams into one division, that'd be pretty sweet. Nah, wait.... Take the Wangs out and put em with the current Eastern SE division just so they have to suffer. Just think Wings fans... it would be the easiest division in the world to be in! Guaranteed Playoff spot from here to eternity! lol

Old 08-16-2008, 10:10 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,424,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Amen. They should also group all the Original 6 teams into one division, that'd be pretty sweet. Nah, wait.... Take the Wangs out and put em with the current Eastern SE division just so they have to suffer. Just think Wings fans... it would be the easiest division in the world to be in! Guaranteed Playoff spot from here to eternity! lol
I started to reply to this, but then decided to go out and buy some more Red Wings Stanley Cup Champions paraphanelia instead. Time and money well spent.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:44 AM

137 posts, read 656,234 times
Why did Winnepeg and Quebec lose their teams? Seems like both would be profitable markets.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 AM

26,814 posts, read 37,888,494 times
A number of factors conspired to strip Quebec City and Winnipeg of their NHL teams.

Among them was the lack of local (read = government) money for new, expanded arenas featuring a much larger number of corporate boxes. Contrary to many places in the U.S., governments in Canada (be they federal, provincial or municipal) aren’t very keen on investing public dollars in pro sports arenas and stadiums. Or at least they haven’t been for the past 20 years or so.

Another factor was that the Canadian dollar, currently close to par value with the U.S. dollar, at the time was much lower in comparison to the American greenback. Its value was sometimes as much as one third less than the U.S. dollar. This was a huge problem for all of the Canadian NHL franchises, since player salaries are paid in U.S. dollars, but it hit much harder in Quebec City and Winnipeg, the two smallest Canadian NHL markets.

Most people also feel that NHL leadership, especially Commissioner Gary Bettman, wasn’t too fond of the Canadian clubs (except for Montreal and Toronto and perhaps Vancouver), which was seen as a drain on attendance in U.S. cities (the NHL is the most gate-driven of the four "major" sports in North America) where most people have never even heard of Quebec, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton or Ottawa. At the very least, Bettman may have thought that the NHL had too many Canadian clubs, and the general consensus based on his actions is that he only had eyes for expansion in non-traditional markets in the U.S. South and Southwest. That’s why he didn’t lift a finger to keep the Jets and Nordiques where they were.

Attendance and local support were never really problematic in either Quebec City or Winnipeg. I know Quebec City better, and pretty much every single Nordiques game was sold out, no matter how bad the team was.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:20 PM

12 posts, read 25,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
Well, Phoenix just happens to be a great place for hockey. In fact, there are more Hockey fans in Phoenix then there is in Hartford, Winnipeg or Quebec City, all which by the way had NHL teams and the FANS didn't go see their teams play, so the teams pulled out and went to where the fans are. As a businessman that kind of makes sense doesn't it?

If any city should deserve an NHL team, that would be Seattle. Seattle is so committed to Hockey, the Seattle Thunderbirds in the WHL has a large following. Plus, they are there right next to the Canucks

For the cities that had NHL teams and now they don't have one...too bad! You should have supported the team when it was there. I say, you don't get a second chance! Beside, what guarantee are you going to give an owner that you will go see them this time?

Oh, you might go see them, but you will have to sell so many season tickets before you will be offered a team.
Gees some people don't know what they are talking about...how sad!

I live Quebec City so I know what i'm talking about.. Let me tell you that we had one of the best (if not the best) attendee in the NHL, even when the team wasn't very good. I know that Winnipeg had good attendees too, so please stop that propaganda!

And when you compare Pheonix and Quebec City, Winnipeg and even Hartford...please...get serious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey