U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 02:59 AM

21,274 posts, read 62,933,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherespankakehouse? View Post
I would say the the vast majority of the markets I have ranked have either top level junior hockey, or an AHL franchise. Exceptions would be Atlanta, Omaha, Albuquerque, Las Vegas, and KC. Omaha has D1 hockey and was recently in the AHL. Vegas and KC also had IHL franchises not too long ago. Just about any sizable market is going to have a lower level minor league team or something in the vicinity.
Las Vegas has a team in the ECHL nowadays...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 05:56 AM

14,096 posts, read 21,734,413 times
The thing to remember is if a city/market already has a minor league hockey team and the team doesn't get the attendance or finance then the NHL isn't likely to take a risk on a market that's already shown indifference towards professional hockey. If the team did well but failed due to reasons other than fan base then there's a possibility an NHL team may work. French Canadians wanted to come to south Louisiana because of the number of people here who speak French. Initially in my city of Lafayette, the Louisiana Ice Gators had a big fan base and big turn outs to their game setting ECHL attendance records. However, scandals of cheating and other problems saw their attendance drop off greatly. They're back, but in a lower league.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:08 AM

4,381 posts, read 5,475,200 times
NHL has tried Atlanta twice. It will not happen again.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:59 PM

127 posts, read 146,954 times
I can't blame Atlanta too much for attendance in the later years. However, there was a stretch where they were the "it" team looking to have a very bright future with Heatley and Kovalchuk. Even after the Heatley incident, they still came away with Hossa.

Any new team really should enjoy an automatic 2-3 year honeymoon regardless of success and accumulation of talent. I don't think there are too many markets that will stand by by a perennial loser, but a quality hockey market packs the building for the first five years of that franchise.

With that said, never say never. Washington eventually got a third crack at the MLB. After Houston is off the board, Atlanta might start to look tempting for an owner committed to winning.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:06 AM

17,032 posts, read 24,684,849 times
Atlanta is a poor pro-sports town.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:39 PM

266 posts, read 264,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
NHL has tried Atlanta twice. It will not happen again.
Does that also mean that NFL should forget about putting a team in Los Angeles?

Old 01-02-2012, 06:37 PM

4,889 posts, read 6,667,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The thing to remember is if a city/market already has a minor league hockey team and the team doesn't get the attendance or finance then the NHL isn't likely to take a risk on a market that's already shown indifference towards professional hockey. If the team did well but failed due to reasons other than fan base then there's a possibility an NHL team may work. French Canadians wanted to come to south Louisiana because of the number of people here who speak French. Initially in my city of Lafayette, the Louisiana Ice Gators had a big fan base and big turn outs to their game setting ECHL attendance records. However, scandals of cheating and other problems saw their attendance drop off greatly. They're back, but in a lower league.
Not really, since Hamilton, is consistently, in the bottom of AHL attendance, but I'm sure they could sell out 18k every game if they got an NHL team. Won't happen though, since that would basically wipe out the Sabres.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:45 PM

4,889 posts, read 6,667,204 times
I love Quebec City for sure....however, I'll croak if the Coyotes move there.....I think it would be way smarter to grow and stablize the game in the states, by relocating a team to a US market and then giving a Canadian town like Quebec an expansion team. They'll fill the building even with a team with a 100 winning percentage.....really.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:34 PM

4,381 posts, read 5,475,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QweffL View Post
Does that also mean that NFL should forget about putting a team in Los Angeles?
Yes. LA has had 3 teams and they all left. That said, I think, stadia was the major defective issue with LA. It's also the NFL with drawing power that dwarfs NHL.

Hockey will not draw well in every market. Atlanta does not like hockey. There was a die hard Thrasher fan on another forum I used to visit and even he stated the same. He hated that no one liked hockey and was dreading the day the Thrashers would leave. Atlanta is always named as a poor pro sports town. I would be shocked if the NHL agrees to another franchise in Hotlanta. Every potential owner will talk a good game but that matters not when no one in the city cares.

My city will probably lose its NHL team within a year or two for the same reason.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:05 AM

7,404 posts, read 17,888,190 times
As much as I would love one in Milwaukee and I would trade all our other minor league teams for one I just don't think we can support one with all the other sports going on in Milwaukee. If we were number one in AHL attendance then maybe but I don't know if cheap Milwaukeans would fit the bill for a hockey ticket plus you have the Blackhawks territory literally 21 miles away.

In Milwaukee Area for sports we have:

Milwaukee Wave
Milwaukee Admirals
Milwaukee Bucks
Milwaukee Brewers
Marquette Golden Eagles
UWM Panthers
Milwaukee Mustangs
Green Bay Packers
Milwaukee Blast
Milwaukee Bavarians
Wisconsin Badgers

These are all teams that compete for the Milwaukee area sports dollar ans sports fan time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey