Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 01:32 PM

29 posts, read 84,874 times

Advertisements

Kansas City, they have a new arena.
Quebec, if they build a new arena.
Milwaukee, if they build a new arena.
Seattle, if they build a new arena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Big question regarding Milwaukee is if Chicago ownership will go along with it or if they will claim it is too close or part of their current fanbase.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:40 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
As has been mentioned somewhere. perhaps Portland? No MLB, NFL or NHL franchise.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:11 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
I don't think Milwaukee will ever get an NHL team as long as they have the Admirals.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:31 AM

127 posts, read 192,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Big question regarding Milwaukee is if Chicago ownership will go along with it or if they will claim it is too close or part of their current fanbase.
I've tried researching this in the past, but the precise definition seems to be a little murky. My understanding of the bye-laws is that a team has a right to veto any site within 50 miles (as the crow flies) from the edge of their home municipality. I'm not sure if that makes the entire municipality of the reach off limitis, or just every site within the 50 mile reach.

Furthermore, it seems there was a disagreement between the Leafs and the NHL on whether the Leafs had a right to veto a Hamilton destination. Based on the above definition, it would seem that the Leafs would have every right to veto. Yet, the NHL disagreed.

Regardless, Milwaukee is well outside of the Hawks territorial claim. However, Milwaukee would still need to gain majority approval from the board.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I don't think Milwaukee will ever get an NHL team as long as they have the Admirals.
The Moose didn't keep the Jets out of Winnipeg. Grizz didn't keep the Avs out of Denver. I don't think the AHL has that kind of pull.

The bigger issue with Milwaukee is that the arena is aging and there doesn't seem to be much of a climate to replace or renovate the Bradley Center.

Sharing a bottom 5 arena with the Bucks in a smaller market is going to be a tough sell.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
As has been mentioned somewhere. perhaps Portland? No MLB, NFL or NHL franchise.

Portland makes sense. But Paul Allen doesn't seem to have any interest in bringing in an NHL team. I've always thought Portland ahead of Seattle, but it's starting to look like Seattle is emerging as the more likely option.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Toss up between Kansas City and Quebec City with the edge going to KC as it already has an NHL size arena, Quebec City? the passion is there but the powers that be have to convince the Quebec tax payers to foot the bill for a new arena, its not going well at the moment...
It sounds like Quebec City is a done deal. Groundbreaking later this year with a scheduled opening in 2015.

If a decision is made on the Coyotes this Spring, I would put my money on Quebec. Seattle's arena bid is contingent on securing an NBA team. The Kings are staying put and I doubt they will be able to secure anything else in the next couple months.

The Sprint Center has been successful without an anchor tenant and that management group has supposedly "lost urgency" in acquiring NBA/NHL for that arena.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:19 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Minor league hockey means nothing when the NHL comes knocking. Phoenix had an IHL team when the Coyotes came to town.

I remember the Admirals from back in the IHL days when I went to K-Wings games. Took a stroll down memory lane looking up teams from the defunct IHL. Most are still around in other leagues. The latest Admirals logo is horrid. Looks like a kid in second grade came up with the concept. Yikes! Glad to see the club is alive, though.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:27 PM

150 posts, read 305,817 times
How bout Saskatoon?

Cherry wants NHL in Saskatoon (http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Cherry+wants+Saskatoon/6286617/story.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey