U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 10:26 PM

6,717 posts, read 7,499,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
Come on ..Hockey is watered down enough. Can the league first get its act together and start marketing itself a little better before they expand again? Im sorry to those few fans but Hockey does not belong in the sunbelt.

How is there a franchise in Anaheim and not in Quebec?

How is it that Gary Bettman has brought this league from the brink of breaking through to a 6th sport in America?
- I can attest because here in New York entire radio talk shows on the FAN were dedicated to hockey. There were many callers and the hosts played to that. In 1993 the Islanders went far in the playoffs , in 1994 the Rangers (unfortunately) won the cup. there was a buzz about hockey. We now have a Devils Rangers series and there is barely a word on the FAN about it.-Its disgraceful!

Im so sick of Gary Bettman's rosy outlook for the league. He has done Nothing to promote the sport - nothing!
CONTRACT- NOT EXPAND! And whatever happened to increasing skating and skills- Its once again trapped by the trap.

NHL needs olympic rinks to really show how skilled these guys are. Right now its a contest of what team scores when the other takes a "clutching and grabbing" penalty.
I for one, dont want the league to expand, I started this thread because at the time, I thought the Predators were halfway out of town and were looking for a new home. I dont think Seattle is going to get a team at this point, the Sonics are pretty much gone too. Boston would probably have something to say about Hartford getting a team. Albuquqerque would probably be better suited for either NFL or NBA. Kansas City could be interesting, new arena, build rivarly with St Louis. Houston actually has some hockey history with Gordie How playing there for the Aeros, plus, Give the Stars fans someone to hate. Dont think Cananda will be getting a team with Bettman in control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 08:01 AM

687 posts, read 2,007,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
kansas City
You're kidding me, right? I went to a Blades game at Kemper once; they couldn't even fill up the lower bowl. How does KC expect to fill up the Sprint Center?

And I thought you guys had NHL hockey once (KC Scouts) and that didn't fare too well.

Well, at least not there. That franchise is now the NJ Devils.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 AM

1,586 posts, read 5,812,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I for one, dont want the league to expand, I started this thread because at the time, I thought the Predators were halfway out of town and were looking for a new home. I dont think Seattle is going to get a team at this point, the Sonics are pretty much gone too. Boston would probably have something to say about Hartford getting a team. Albuquqerque would probably be better suited for either NFL or NBA. Kansas City could be interesting, new arena, build rivarly with St Louis. Houston actually has some hockey history with Gordie How playing there for the Aeros, plus, Give the Stars fans someone to hate. Dont think Cananda will be getting a team with Bettman in control.
I dont know about the Sonics being gone yet. If they dont move to OKC then you will see another NBA team or maybe (sigh) a NHL team (my worst nightmare). Anyway OKC will be at the very top of the list if not the number 1 city to relocate or expand for a league like the NBA or NHL. OKC and OK have too many sweetheart deals in place for a team to move. Just recently the state approved tax incentives for the NBA or NHL ect. among a million other things to entice a team. Its just a matter of time for OKC, but the Sonics are killing our image. I hope they stay in Seattle and give OKC their Hornets back. NO is bound to fail with the Hornets. A population of only 300,000 along with terrible attendance which has made Shinn put a buyout lease agreement if attendance doesnt make a certain mark. Plus its all about the Saints in NO. Bad move to begin with. Watch the NBA take a major PR hit for OKC and OKC still gets the Sonics or OKC gets an expansion franchise with Seattle getting the Sonics back (best scenario) or Seattle gets the Sonics back and the Hornets move back to OKC or the NHL makes a move. Shinn is certainly drinking Starbucks coffee this morning dreaming of a move back to OKC.

Anyway its all a freakin' cluster ****.
link...
ESPN - Newly revealed e-mails could cause headaches for Sonics owner - NBA

Old 04-25-2008, 08:58 AM

^ I agree that I would love for the Sonics to stay in Seattle and for OKC to get the Hornets.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:57 PM

5,718 posts, read 13,625,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plf86 View Post
contract back 20 or 24 teams. Go back to the 4 divisions with intradivision playoffs. It made you build teams to beat your rivals in your division. I am a Caps fan from the Patrick Division era and I loved watching the Flyers, Rangers, Islanders, Penguins...And Mickey Mouse(I mean the Devils)

Each Division seemed to have a distinct style. The Norris rocked....
You'd drop ten teams but then leave all those bunched together? Is the NHL a regional league?

Old 05-04-2008, 10:58 PM

It seems weird that Detroit is in the West, from a geographical standpoint. Toronto is like 3 hours away yet they only play each other once a year. But they travel three time zones to play california teams twice. This can be said for Columbus too.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:35 AM

2,289 posts, read 3,824,797 times
If any team needs to be relocated it's the one in Atlanta. That franchise has redefined the term "dysfunction" since the day the NHL announced their existence. They've never won a playoff game in team history, they have a group of "owners" that couldn't care less about hockey, and are mired in an embarrassing legal battle with eachother over control of the team, their GM is a complete doofus with the worst drafting and free agent signing record out of all the other GM's, their minor league affiliate in Chicago has been unable to develop any talent for the parent club, their star players are knocking people over to get out of town (Heatley, Savard, Hossa, and Kovalchuk will be next), and their fan base is virtually invisible in a market that worships the Braves & Georgia Bulldogs football and sees anything else as an imposter taking up print space in the paper. I know all this because I lived in Atlanta for 20 years, including the first 8 Thrashers seasons, unfortunately.

Seattle should have a hockey team. They have hockey history, and their northern location right up against Canada makes it a no brainer. It's ridiculous that there isn't an NHL team in America's Pacific Northwest, while there are teams in Nashville, North Carolina, Florida, Atlanta and Phoenix. RIDICULOUS! Seattle's government needs to get with the program and get a new arena built. Losing the Sonics has to be a titanic embarrassment for that city.

I say move the Atlanta team to Seattle, and move Detroit back to the eastern conference where they belong. I am so tired of watching my team play Columbus and Nashville every other night....and while we're at it, can we PLEASE GET RID OF GARY BETTMAN????

Old 05-05-2008, 11:12 PM

172 posts, read 535,754 times
As a Canadian I am rather sick and tired "hockey belongs in Canada" crud (Winnipeg does need a team though). However, I agree that the Atlanta Thrashers, Florida Panthers, and possibly the Phoenix Coyotes need to be relocated (but for sure the first two). Where to? Winnipeg built a brand new arena (MTS Centre) in a prime downtown location, and ONLY PUT 15,015 SEATS!!!!! Unbelieveable! I personally would LOVE a team to be in Winnipeg, but unless they can expand that arena upwards they probably won't get an NHL team. Move the Thrashers and Panthers to Winnipeg and Kansas City. Okay, my other suggestions are relocate the Coyotes to either Las Vegas (JB wants a team there, brand new arena being built behind Bally's, would be interesting), Hartford, Seattle, or Milwaukee. Either way, MOVE one to Winnipeg and move one to Kansas City!

Old 05-06-2008, 03:04 PM

20,005 posts, read 65,476,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.k-la View Post
As a Canadian I am rather sick and tired "hockey belongs in Canada" crud (Winnipeg does need a team though)
And one more in Quebec, too.

*cough*NORDIQUES!*cough*

Old 05-06-2008, 07:03 PM

347 posts, read 808,504 times
"You'd drop ten teams but then leave all those bunched together? Is the NHL a regional league?"

You can set up the divisions however you would like. I just liked the old days when a division rival was exactly that. The league is watered down.

Is the NHL regional? I would have to say so. I havent seen too many kids playing on any ponds around Raleigh. It is a cold weather sport. it will always have more of a following in the northern areas because kids grow up playing it. Look at the olympics, is there any African, Middle Eastern, South American teams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey