Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 08:32 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times

Advertisements

Looking at the schedule, all 5 games against the Sharks will be played before the All Star break (Wednesday & January 4 in San Jose; November 30, December 31 & the final game January 18 in LA). Will be weird not seeing a Sharks game in the final week, or hell even final month of the season.

Also, some interesting notes looking at the schedule:

9 game road trip in December between December 13-29
17 of the final 23 games of the season are at home, with all but 1 April game at the Staples Center (last game of the season @ the Ducks).
4 road trips out East which I really don't like. I know it's difficult, but they try to get these Eastern teams on the West Coast as few times as possible, so they'll have Boston, Florida, the New York teams all play the California teams on 1 trip, usually the Pacific Canadian teams on another (Canucks, Flames, Oilers, Jets), and than a 3rd to Dallas, Arizona & Colorado, so why can't the NHL do the same when we go east?? Trip 1 is November 8-15 when we play the Eastern Canadian teams (Habs, Leafs & Sens) with stopovers in Winnipeg & Colorado as well. Trip number 2 is the 9 game road trip to Buffalo, Boston, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Columbus with stops in Nashville, Dallas, Vancouver and Edmonton. Trip number 3 is January 21-26 to play @ the Rangers, Islanders, Devils and Hurricanes, and sandwiched between the All Star Game (I believe on the 29), a game in Arizona (on the 31st), and a home game against the Avs (on Feb 1) we head right back to the East Coast for the 4th trip from the 4th to the 9th to the Flyers, Caps, Lightning and Panthers. Now I know the All Star break (January 27-30) screws things up a bit, but why can't the NHL leave us on the East Coast?? Break after the game on the 26th, come back on the 30th in Philadelphia and resume with the final 4 games in the East. If the NHL can't do that, why can't they wait, maybe like a month later, so if we have to go back a 4th time, maybe that can be from March 4-March 9, and not a week after we just came back from a 4 game East Coast swing?? I realize scheduling 82 games for 30 teams is tough, and even tougher when most of the 30 teams share arena's with other teams that are in season, but if they are going to insist that Eastern teams play Western teams twice a season once at home and once on the road (which I do love, so I'm not complaining there) they have to do a better job of scheduling coast to coast trips for the coast teams. You CANNOT have a team from Los Angeles making 2 trips out East in a 2 week span, and also, you CANNOT have a team from Boston making 2 trips West in a 2 week span.

Last edited by 7express; 10-09-2016 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 10:30 AM

Default 2016-17: 0-1-0

Kings 1 @ Sharks 2.

Well, great start. Lose the opener to the Sharks for the second straight year, and in the process lose goalie Jonathan Quick to a lower body injury which GM Dean Lombardi said "could be a while" until he returns to the ice . Tyler Toffoli scored the games first goal and the first goal for the Kings in the 16-17 season on the powerplay 1:22 into the 2nd assisted by the new captain Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty. Logan Couture tied it up for the Sharks at 14:05 on the power play assisted by Joe Pavelski and Joe Thornton. Scoreless in the 2nd, and the only goal in the 3rd was the winner at 3:20 from the Sharks Brent Burns assisted by Couture and Joonas Donskoi. Quick stopped 14 of 15 shots in the first period before he departed while new backup netminder Jeff Zatkoff took the loss making 15 of 16 saves over the remaining 2 periods. Martin Jones stopped 21 of 22 shots in picking up the win. First star Couture he had 1 goal and assist, Burns got the 2nd star with his game-winning goal, and the 3rd star went to the Kings Toffoli with 1 goal.

Sharks head East for the first time this year for a 5 game trip through the Eastern Conference beginning Saturday in Columbus. Kings meanwhile have their home opener Friday against the Philadelphia Flyers. Face off will be around 10:38 eastern, 7:38 local time in LA.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:27 PM

Default 0-2-0

Flyers 4 @ Kings 2.

Boyd Gordon scored the first goal of the Flyers season (their opening day was Friday) at 3:55 into the second period assisted by Nick Cousins and Brandon Manning. Sean Couturier would add the next 2 Flyers goals also in the second period: the first at 4:43 assisted by Travis Konecny and Shayne Gotisbehere and the second came at 12:04 from Jakub Voracek and Konecny. Flyers would add their 4th goal of the game and the period at 18:03 from Mark Streit assisted by Ivan Provorov and Cousins. Doughty (goal scorer) and Kopi (lone assist on the goal) would team up to put the Kings on the board at 18:52 and Brayden McNabb would add the Kings second goal at 3:01 in the 3rd assisted by Alec Martinez and Dwight King, but they could never get another puck by Flyers netminder Michal Neuvirth. Neuvirth got the win stopping 23 of 25 Kings shots while Zatkoff took the loss stopping 26 of 30 Flyers shots.

Flyers are next in action Saturday night when they head to Arizona to take on the Coyotes in the 'Yotes season debut. The Kings are one of 4 teams off on Saturday (Hurricanes, Oilers, and Sabres the other 3) and will return to the ice Tuesday night in Minnesota against the Wild with a puck drop around 8:08.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:09 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
From my seats at opening night.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:46 AM

Default 0-3-0

Kings 3 @ Wild 6.

Tanner Pearson, his first game back from a 2 game suspension got the games first tally less than a minute in assisted by Jeff Carter. Erick Houla tied it up for the Wild less than 40 seconds later assisted by Nino Niederreiter and Jason Pominville. Pominville gave the Wild the lead for good with just 12 seconds to play in the period assisted by Houla to give the Wild a 2-1 break after 1. Charlie Coyle (at 12:38) from Zach Perise and Ryan Suter, Mikko Koivu (at 16:11) from Mikael Granlund and Chris Stewart, and finally Teemu Pulkkinen (at 17:08) from Jonas Brodin and Zac Dalpe added the 3 Wild goals in the 2nd. Kopi from Tom Gilbert and Toffoli got 1 back for the Kings at 6:42 and Pearson from Carter and Devon Setoguchi at 14:35 made it interesting but Jared Spurgon from Suter into the empty net at 17:42 put the icing on the cake for the Wild and drops the Kings to 0-3. Darcy Kuemper stopped 27 of 30 Kings shots for the win, while Zatkoff stopped only 11 of 16 Wild shots. Peter Budaj relieved him to start the 3rd and stopped all 9 shots on net. Houla & Pominville were the first and second stars, they each had 2 points with a goal and an assist while Kopi was the 3rd star with 1 goal. You may remember last year the Kings also lost their first 3 games and rebounded quite nicely, but this year without Quick until about New Years if not later they'll have to find something quickly (no pun intended) but what I've seen from Zatkoff so far I am not impressed, and I doubt Budaj is the answer either. I wish we had kept around Jhonas Enroff, or hell even Martin Jones would be pretty good to have back now.

Wild next take the ice Thursday evening when they take on the Leafs and rookie sensation Auston Matthews. Kings also next play Thursday when they'll face off for the first of 3 against Dallas in Dallas. Puck drop about 8:37.

And nice seats PDF! Just wish you could have seen a better game on Friday though

Old 10-19-2016, 12:42 PM
PDF

Yeah it was quite a terrible game, although the pre-game festivities for the 50th anniversary were great. I really don't think this will be a good season at all. Aside from losing Quick, the team has played so uninspired. We have the same problems we faced in the final weeks of the season last year. It would definitely be nice to have Enroth to go to right now.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:19 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yeah it was quite a terrible game, although the pre-game festivities for the 50th anniversary were great. I really don't think this will be a good season at all. Aside from losing Quick, the team has played so uninspired. We have the same problems we faced in the final weeks of the season last year. It would definitely be nice to have Enroth to go to right now.
I don't really think Enroth is very good, but he was good last season and I think he should have played more, just to give Quick more rest. I think it was the best season of his career, but he only played like 16 games or so. I don't even remember the exact number.

I'd actually rather have Martin Jones, still annoyed Boston got a first round pick for him and he went to the Sharks. I would probably take Jonathan Bernier right about now, even though his last couple of seasons haven't been very good.

Zatkoff has been terrible. He wasn't good against the Flyers and he was junk last night. First two goals should have been stopped and I'm not sure why he wasn't pulled after the 1st period. I think I'd rather Budaj start next game, that's how bad Zatkoff has been. He played good in relief of Quick against the Sharks and that's it. Looks like Quick is out 3 months.

Last edited by Runninglikethieves; 10-19-2016 at 02:41 PM..

Old 10-19-2016, 02:55 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I don't really think Enroth is very good, but he was good last season and I think he should have played more, just to give Quick more rest. I think it was the best season of his career, but he only played like 16 games or so. I don't even remember the exact number.

I'd actually rather have Martin Jones, still annoyed Boston got a first round pick for him and he went to the Sharks. I would probably take Jonathan Bernier right about now, even though his last couple of seasons haven't been very good.

Zatkoff has been terrible. He wasn't good against the Flyers and he was junk last night. First two goals should have been stopped and I'm not sure why he wasn't pulled after the 1st period. I think I'd rather Budaj start next game, that's how bad Zatkoff has been. He played good in relief of Quick against the Sharks and that's it. Looks like Quick is out 3 months.
Look at Enroth's numbers from last season. He was very good in the playing time he did get. Yes I'd love Martin Jones too, but I'd just as well take Enroth back. He sure would have gotten the playing time he so desired.

Budaj...all I remember from him is that OT game against the Rangers he started last year. Think he gave up 3 goals, but he did good. I'd like to see what he can do.

Yup Quick out 3 months, no surgery. We don't really have the cap space to fetch a veteran goaltender. We did start out last season 0-3 and then went on fire, but I don't see that happening here. Let's hope for the best, but I think it'll be a long season.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:23 PM

How about Ben Scrivens?? Is he collecting a check from any organization?? Bring him back, LOL

Old 10-20-2016, 07:06 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Look at Enroth's numbers from last season. He was very good in the playing time he did get. Yes I'd love Martin Jones too, but I'd just as well take Enroth back. He sure would have gotten the playing time he so desired.

Budaj...all I remember from him is that OT game against the Rangers he started last year. Think he gave up 3 goals, but he did good. I'd like to see what he can do.

Yup Quick out 3 months, no surgery. We don't really have the cap space to fetch a veteran goaltender. We did start out last season 0-3 and then went on fire, but I don't see that happening here. Let's hope for the best, but I think it'll be a long season.
I thought Enroth was good last season, I just don't think he's as good as he was last season. I think it was a career year. Backup's like Enroth are known to be inconsistent from year to year. They'll have a crappy year, an average year, then a great year. I feel like Montoya, Reimer, Johnson, Greiss, are all like that.

I'm not sure why the fluctuation from year to year. Maybe just the fact that they are facing different kinds of competition. One year they'll play a bunch of good teams, then the next year they'll play some weak teams.

I'd take my chances on Enroth over these guys though. I think Zatkoff is a bum, I remember how badly he looked against the Rangers in one of the playoff games last year. Thank god Murray came back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
How about Ben Scrivens?? Is he collecting a check from any organization?? Bring him back, LOL
I think he played great in 13-14 the first time Quick was injured, I just think he overachieved big time.

Just turned on this game during the 2nd intermission of the Devils game, just in time to see Budaj's stick handling error snafu lead to a goal against. Both of him and Zatkoff are scrubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey