Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 10:38 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
One rumour I heard regarding Bergevin's inaction and hoarding of cap space, is the Habs are going all out to sign John Tavares this summer.

I wouldn't mind that a bit. But it seems a longshot.
It's kind of late now to think Tavares would make much of a difference. Maybe two or three seasons ago when the team had what would have been a good supporting cast. But now, there really isn't anyone. All this talk about Drouin during the offseason was exactly what I assumed it would be: overhype. Gallagher has become the best player on the team, and while I like him, he really wouldn't be on any other team's top 3. Bringing Tavares now would be a waste. There really aren't any solid playmakers there to create opportunities for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 11:48 AM

5,104 posts, read 2,050,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Montreal makes no further trades and also the owner G Molson gives his GM a vote of confidences:
There's time I wonder if Geoff Molson is the Harold Ballard ot the CH?

Old 02-27-2018, 01:23 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
There's time I wonder if Geoff Molson is the Harold Ballard ot the CH?
Could be, i see no motivation from the owner to strive for a winning team,he seems content with this mediocre product,seems a shame the once mighty Montreal Canadians are now relegated to a back of the pack also rans that dont even make the playoffs any more.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:20 PM

Pacioretty injured, Mete injured, Niemi "injured." Talk of Pacioretty being traded... I think it's sad. He will excel elsewhere. He's one of the few, if not THE ONLY, elite players Montreal has, and is paid a pretty modest amount, AND he wants to stay.

Man, what a terrible season.
Not to mention, there really isn't much hope for the future either. There aren't really any valuable players on the team, and they're stuck with a MASSIVE contract on Price, who isn't looking like he will be back to form any time soon, if ever. (Something has always indicated to me that it's a bad idea to sign goalies to huge long-term contracts. They are more prone to career-ending or performance-killing injuries than any other.)
To think, just a few years, Montreal had its eyes on the cup. Then came a series f questionable moves by management, and here we are.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:11 AM

The closest they got to a cup in recent memory was when Price got injured and Halak took them into the third round of the playoffs, he got traded for his efforts. Its time to rid the team of this Stiff Carey Price, hes like the GM in as much as hes done very little for the team. and hey Bergevin hows that Weber Subbin trade working out.?

Old 03-07-2018, 11:54 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Pacioretty injured, Mete injured, Niemi "injured." Talk of Pacioretty being traded... I think it's sad. He will excel elsewhere. He's one of the few, if not THE ONLY, elite players Montreal has, and is paid a pretty modest amount, AND he wants to stay.

Man, what a terrible season.
Not to mention, there really isn't much hope for the future either. There aren't really any valuable players on the team, and they're stuck with a MASSIVE contract on Price, who isn't looking like he will be back to form any time soon, if ever. (Something has always indicated to me that it's a bad idea to sign goalies to huge long-term contracts. They are more prone to career-ending or performance-killing injuries than any other.)
To think, just a few years, Montreal had its eyes on the cup. Then came a series f questionable moves by management, and here we are.
Most definitely a lost season, for a host of reasons. But I don't think the future is necessarily bleak - IF - (and note the size of that if) Bergevin can make good use of the picks they've gathered and the cap space he's hoarded.

I hope they don't trade Pacioretty. I've been a Habs fan since the early 60s and have admired some great captains over the past 50+ years. I've watched nearly every game the past few years and Patch is a fine captain. He rarely, if ever, takes a night off and skates as hard on the backcheck as any player on the team. He's tough in the corners and kills penalties as well as works on the PP.

But he's a finisher and Montreal simply doesn't have a center who can give him the puck in decent scoring areas.

Maybe Drouin will become that guy but he isn't right now. Danault is a promising player but he missed a lot of time. Galchenyuk is showing signs of becoming the player most thought he could be. He may well end up playing in the middle next season.

But if the Habs want to get back on track, they have to get a play-making center. I just hope the cost of that center isn't Pacioretty. Price has to get, and remain, healthy. Ditto Weber and Shaw.

Hope remains eternal in every fan's breast. But for this season, Canada's cup hopes are riding with the Jets and Leafs.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Hope remains eternal in every fan's breast. But for this season, Canada's cup hopes are riding with the Jets and Leafs.
My hope had been high since our last cup in 93 but the team disappoints every year.I've now lost hope in this team and i will probably never see another Stanley Cup come to Montreal.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
My hope had been high since our last cup in 93 but the team disappoints every year.I've now lost hope in this team and i will probably never see another Stanley Cup come to Montreal.
To think, we pretty much threw away Saku Koivu's career in the 90s and early 2000s also. We had an amazing center, one of the cleanest players, well respected all around, and one of the best playmakers of that time, but failed to build a solid team around him. The only good players I can recall off the top of my head were Brian Savage and Andrei Markov. Luckily the guy had an illustrious career in the Olympics and World tournaments.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:49 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,479 times
Quote:
The closest they got to a cup in recent memory was when Price got injured and Halak took them into the third round of the playoffs, he got traded for his efforts. Its time to rid the team of this Stiff Carey Price, hes like the GM in as much as hes done very little for the team. and hey Bergevin hows that Weber Subbin trade working out.?
Dude, I pointed this out before to you, Halak isn't very good. In fact, he kind of sucks now. It was absolutely the right move to move on from Halak and cash in, while keeping the (then) 23 year old Price, who had a much higher ceiling. And since we've last had this conversation, Halak has had 2 more mediocre seasons. Price is right now on his first poor season in quite a while. It's only his second poor season since Halak has been off the team, while Halak has had about 4 or 5 different average/below average/mediocre seasons since then. He even spent significant time in the AHL last season because he was playing so poor early on. You weren't winning the cup with Halak in any of these years, if you didn't win it in 2010 with him. I remember saying back in 2011 that Halak was the most overrated goaltender in hockey. I can't say he's the most overrated goaltender in hockey right now, as nobody really thinks he's any good anymore. With his contract expiring after this season, I think he maybe gets signed to be somebody's backup next year in the NHL for a very cheap one year contract. Either that or back to Europe, where he'll get more money and probably a starting gig, as he's not good enough for a starting gig in the NHL anymore. There's at least 30 better goaltenders than him in the league. Only Carolina and rebuilding teams with no starting goalie (Vancouver is one of them) have a starter worse than him. Maybe add St. Louis and Jake Allen. Philly has a trio of middling goalies, too.

With all that said, the new Price contract does SUCK. It's hopefully just a bad season and he bounces back next year. Every Canadiens goalie has outplayed him this year, including washed up Niemi, who's on his third team this season.

Weber for Subban was BRUTAL the day it happened, I always said that, but I remember A LOT of Habs fans liking this deal when it first happened. It seemed many changed their mind after the Preds made the finals last year and now almost everyone has changed their mind after the Habs nosedive this season. They're right, but if it took the two team's performances to make them see that, they're right for the wrong reasons. Subban has been a better player than Weber for years and his best has always been better than Weber's best. Luckily, one of the worst trades in NHL history and the worst trade of the last decade+ was made on the very same day (Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson), so that takes a lot of the heat off that one.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:39 PM

Halak may now be playing poorly but when he was with the Habs i think he was better than Price ,his chemistry worked well on the team ,speaking of Price what winning seasons has he given the Canadians?
We are in agreement on the Subbin/Weber trade,what the heck were they thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey