U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 01:33 PM

5,427 posts, read 3,402,774 times

Advertisements

Opening night is today: Austin Mathews makes his debut for the Leafs vs. the Sens, Oilers open up the new home digs in the battle of Alberta against the Flames, and NBCSN has the Blues @ Blackhawks and Kings @ Sharks.

For my division winners I'll go: Tampa in the Atlantic, St. Louis in the Central, Los Angeles in the Pacific, and Pittsburgh in the Metropolitan. My other playoff teams: East: Detroit (Atlantic), Montreal (Atlantic), NY Islanders (Metropolitan), Washington (Metropolitan), Florida (Atlantic), Boston (Atlantic).
My other 6 in the West: San Jose (Pacific), Anaheim (Pacific), Calgary (Pacific), Chicago (Central), Nashville (Central) and Dallas (Central).
Eastern Conference finals: Tampa over Washington
Western Conference finals: Chicago over Los Angeles
Stanley Cup: Tampa over Chicago
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 03:42 PM

6,723 posts, read 7,509,624 times
Ah yes, thanks for starting this 7express!

It would be nice if my own team would be better than mediocre for once.

Hopefully Jack Eichel isn't seriously hurt, that didn't look good.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:30 PM

241 posts, read 130,073 times
Four goals by Matthew Austin and the Leafs still lost!

Old 10-13-2016, 09:13 AM

1,772 posts, read 617,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
Four goals by Matthew Austin and the Leafs still lost!
I think you mean Auston Mathews. He's on pace for 320 goals this year.

Only the Laffs could still lose a game like that.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:37 AM

19,953 posts, read 9,821,938 times
Leafs will be fun to watch this year. Matthews is the real deal and Mitch Marner can dangle. They're going to lose a lot of exciting 6-5 games and win a few more than most pundits might predict.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I think you mean Auston Mathews. He's on pace for 320 goals this year.

Only the Laffs could still lose a game like that.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:06 PM

At least your team didn't blow a 4-1 3rd period lead.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post

No. But my team did lose it's starting goaltender for at least 6 weeks in it's opening game

Old 10-15-2016, 12:39 AM

2,145 posts, read 695,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I don't know how you feel about Cam Ward, but he needs to go or at least be the backup. He's been one of the league's worst goaltenders for the last 4 years now, at least as far as starters go. And the eye test certainly confirms it, as he allows a lot of weak/stoppable goals. He was a good goaltender up until about 4 or 5 years ago, very underrated at one time. He's pretty bad now though. I think the Hurricanes are at least a bubble team and on the playoff borderline if they had good goaltending. The only thing saving Ward is that his backups have mostly been even worse than him, aside from that one year of Khudobin. I would have to say that as far as starting goaltenders go, Ward is the worst in the league right now. I had Pavelsuck as the worst, but he was finally put out to pasture and sent to the AHL the other day. Maybe Lehtonen is also worse, if he's still considered a starter.

I do like what I see from the Hurricanes, but I feel like their goaltending is really killing them. Just absolutely murdering them. It's like the last two years Brodeur was with the Devils. They were a pretty good possession team, like the Hurricanes are now, despite not having the sexiest roster. But their goaltending was a Tunguska blast of awful. Then we acquired Schneider for the 9th overall pick the next year and he was healthy for all but a week of the season, yet our coaching staff and GM caved to Brodeur when he started publicly complaining and he literally got 3 fewer starts than a far superior (at that point in time) goaltender. And Brodeur was easily the worst starter in the league at that point, if not one of the worst goaltenders in the league period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
No. But my team did lose it's starting goaltender for at least 6 weeks in it's opening game
That was brutal tonight. Not liking what I've seen from the Kings in either game so far. Not impressed in the least with Zatkoff.

I was fairly optimistic that he could tread water, since a goaltender that might be even worse than him (Scrivens) was able to at least masquerade as a good goaltender for 2 or 3 months the last time Quick was injured.

The offense and lack of ability to score goals reminds me of the Devils.

I just went to the game last night in Sunrise to see the Devils play the Panthers. Will be attending the game in TB against the Lightning tonight.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I don't know how you feel about Cam Ward, but he needs to go or at least be the backup. He's been one of the league's worst goaltenders for the last 4 years now, at least as far as starters go. And the eye test certainly confirms it, as he allows a lot of weak/stoppable goals. He was a good goaltender up until about 4 or 5 years ago, very underrated at one time. He's pretty bad now though. I think the Hurricanes are at least a bubble team and on the playoff borderline if they had good goaltending. The only thing saving Ward is that his backups have mostly been even worse than him, aside from that one year of Khudobin. I would have to say that as far as starting goaltenders go, Ward is the worst in the league right now. I had Pavelsuck as the worst, but he was finally put out to pasture and sent to the AHL the other day. Maybe Lehtonen is also worse, if he's still considered a starter.

I do like what I see from the Hurricanes, but I feel like their goaltending is really killing them. Just absolutely murdering them. It's like the last two years Brodeur was with the Devils. They were a pretty good possession team, like the Hurricanes are now, despite not having the sexiest roster. But their goaltending was a Tunguska blast of awful. Then we acquired Schneider for the 9th overall pick the next year and he was healthy for all but a week of the season, yet our coaching staff and GM caved to Brodeur when he started publicly complaining and he literally got 3 fewer starts than a far superior (at that point in time) goaltender. And Brodeur was easily the worst starter in the league at that point, if not one of the worst goaltenders in the league period.

That was brutal tonight. Not liking what I've seen from the Kings in either game so far. Not impressed in the least with Zatkoff.

I was fairly optimistic that he could tread water, since a goaltender that might be even worse than him (Scrivens) was able to at least masquerade as a good goaltender for 2 or 3 months the last time Quick was injured.

The offense and lack of ability to score goals reminds me of the Devils.

I just went to the game last night in Sunrise to see the Devils play the Panthers. Will be attending the game in TB against the Lightning tonight.
You hit the nail on the head. When Ward was in his prime he was pulling games out of his ass like it was nothing. Unfortunatelty due to Jim Rutherford signing terrible backups, Ward was pretty much forced into playing 60-65 games a year, with a mediocre at best defense to boot. That kind of load led to injury after injury. Then when it seemed we found someone realible in Khudobin, his game drops the following year and now here we are with Eddie Lack who frankly just isn't getting it done here. We could have had Frederick Andersen 5 years ago but his agent thought he could do better.

As much as I would like improved goaltending, the team really isn't in a position to trade something of value for someone like Ben Bishop right now. In Wards defense, he can still bail out the team every now and then so he's still useful, but it's not going to be much longer until Francis has a big decision to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey