Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 12:39 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Frankly and truly, almost all you guys have more and deeper hockey knowledge than I do.

But... Matt Duchene. ??
I am having difficulty swallowing the -34 +/- from a guy who had 41 points. Not that he couldn't be an asset. Is there a hole in his game or just in everyone around him?
Yeah, goalie was a bit weak in Colorado, particularly the backup.

But, -34? Great player on a bad team?
School me, please.
+/- is a stat that probably should be thrown out. A players plus/minus rating very rarely stays consistent from year to year. It's a stat that fluctuates from year to year. Alex Ovechkin was a -35 in the 13-14 season, despite scoring a league leading 51 goals that year and having 79 points in 78 games. The very next year he was a +10 and the year after that he was a +21. Ovechkin has only had 3 seasons in his career of being a minus player.

Duchene was third among all Colorado forwards in ice time per game last season and Colorado was a VERY BAD team last year. Colorado was the first team in the NHL to finish with under 50 points since the 99-00 expansion Atlanta Thrashers finished with 39 points. Colorado was a historically bad team last year. That's quite an accomplishment in the loser point/shootout era.

The defenseman that led the team in on ice time (Tyson Barrie) was also a -34. Colorado gave up a ton of goals and barely scored any goals, so it makes sense that their on-ice time leaders would have horrific minus ratings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 05:16 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
A plus-minus statistic is useful for a specific game and useless for an entire season. When a player has a plus-minus -4 rating in a single game, he likely played a horrible game. (Dmitri Kulikov is an example from the 2016-2017 season.)

Old 07-09-2017, 12:25 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Frankly and truly, almost all you guys have more and deeper hockey knowledge than I do.

But... Matt Duchene. ??
I am having difficulty swallowing the -34 +/- from a guy who had 41 points. Not that he couldn't be an asset. Is there a hole in his game or just in everyone around him?
Yeah, goalie was a bit weak in Colorado, particularly the backup.

But, -34? Great player on a bad team?
School me, please.
He's the biggest name out there right now who is likely to be moved. Colorado is in a bad spot right now and probably won't be a legit contender for awhile, so moving a guy like Duchene who probably wants out (especially after having his name dragged through the mud last season) is almost inevitable.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:25 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
He's the biggest name out there right now who is likely to be moved. Colorado is in a bad spot right now and probably won't be a legit contender for awhile, so moving a guy like Duchene who probably wants out (especially after having his name dragged through the mud last season) is almost inevitable.
Would you bring him to the Canes?
If so, what would you be willing to give up to do so?

Old 07-09-2017, 03:29 PM

The Pittsburgh Penguins are in the market for a center to replace Nick Bonino. (Bonino signed with the Nashville Predators.) I could envision a trade similar to how Phil Kessel was acquired from the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:35 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
I would consider it if it meant we weren't giving up an arm and a leg for him, and if it was guaranteed he wouldn't leave for Toronto or somewhere bigger once his contract is up in 2 years. As such, neither is guaranteed and it would likely mean a guy like Faulk or Slavin plus a pick would be going Colorado's way, and Carolina IMO shouldn't be doing that right now.

He'd be a great addition to the line-up. A true #1C , but the price to get him and his contract status is iffy. I think the 'Canes should pass.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:57 PM

If the Avalanche trade Duchene, they will be on the hook for his contract and will have to be realistic with their return.

Comparing Duchene and Bonino, Duchene could be an upgrade of Bonino for the Penguins. A depth at center with Crosby, Malkin, and Duchene can be powerful and productive.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:19 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Everyone knows that Duchene loves Nashville so if Sakic ever regains a brain, we'll do a trade. But not for any of our top 4 D-men.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:00 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
A plus-minus statistic is useful for a specific game and useless for an entire season. When a player has a plus-minus -4 rating in a single game, he likely played a horrible game. (Dmitri Kulikov is an example from the 2016-2017 season.)
Sometimes that's the case

But all it can take is a really bad goaltending performance and a player that was otherwise innocent, winds up getting dinged with a -3 or -4 because of 2 or 3 soft goals.

I remember this happening with Damon Severson from the Devils last year. I remember him catching heat on one of the forums I go to, because he was a -3 or something for a game. At least 2 of the 3 goals he was on for were bad goals by Schneider, which should have been stopped.

I remember Jordin Tootoo being a -26 for the Devils in 15-16, which I felt was well earned by him. He only averaged 11.5 minutes of ice time per game and was pretty poor most of the time. Our DUMB and novice coaching staff also started him in the defensive zone for a career high 59.9% of his shifts. Fantastic stuff from Hynes and company.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:49 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I guess I really like the concept of a stat gauging the player's +/-, is much of why I asked.

Obviously, it is a team game, and I get that +/- is pretty incidental when the team is inseparable from the equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey