Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 04:11 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times

Advertisements

Hard to blame Tavares. I know the Islanders were taking steps to ensure he'd stay but by that point I think he made up his mind. If that's his childhood dream to play for his hometown team, he's not getting any younger so he's got to take it when it comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
I wonder if the hiring of Lou Lamoriello along with new coach Barry Trotz who decided to leave the Washington Capitals might give second thoughts to John Tavares? But if it's not the case, I guess Tavares will go to Carolina or elswhere like LA. It would be a miracle if he'll be with the Habs.
I would have loved this. But he was never coming anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 12:38 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,792 times
Tavares screwed the Islanders. He begged Garth Snow to not trade him at the trading deadline, and then they didn’t, But when he signed with Toronto. They got nothing for him now,

I’m not as upset with him leaving as I should be because they had a good draft last month, and I know Sweet Lou Lamorello is making the moves instead of a loser like Garth Snow.

Read articles yesterday online , one by Larry Brooks ( NY Post), and USA Today both blaming ownership as to why he left. Ownership provided him with no talent, a losing culture ( Garth Snow as GM for 12 years ). Maybe Islanders should have gotten lamorello when he first went to Toronto instead of waiting for him to be let go by Toronto. Sad franchise

Old 07-02-2018, 07:14 PM

731 posts, read 724,718 times
How do figure Tavares "screwed" the Islanders? The guy has played 7 years for a second rate team in a minor league arena at best for hockey. The guy is entering the prime years of his career and is entitled to play for an elite organization, in a hockey city and in a hockey palace not basketball arena. As Leafs fan I am thrilled to have him. Now if they can get a couple quality defencemen.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:24 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Would have been nice if Tavares would been more honest with his "lifetime dream" prior to the trade deadline so he could have been moved for something in return. He has every right to go to whatever team he wants to.

Leaf fans don't think you now have an automatic Cup win because of him. He is not the same player he was a few years ago. The game is changing to speed, a tangible John does not have. Barzal looked infinitely better than Tavares this past year. If things don't go right quickly and your media gets on him, watch John go into sulk mode. Personally, I don't know if he is meant for the pressure in a fish bowl like Toronto.

While the Islanders look like they are going into "lose for Hughes" tank mode, they added some grit and goons so it will at least be entertaining to watch until the kids develop a bit more.

It was nice to see Martin's response to coming back to the Island. The guy was good in the community and has helped put some interest back into team after a horrible week.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:29 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
How do figure Tavares "screwed" the Islanders? The guy has played 7 years for a second rate team in a minor league arena at best for hockey. The guy is entering the prime years of his career and is entitled to play for an elite organization, in a hockey city and in a hockey palace not basketball arena. As Leafs fan I am thrilled to have him. Now if they can get a couple quality defencemen.

Because he gave every impression that he was going to stay until July 1when he had his epiphany that he wanted to go home. Since he ended up going to Toronto where he is from this wasn’t something decided the last minute. He had all season to let him know he was leaving and again, he could’ve been traded and the Islanders would’ve got something for him and depending on who they sent him to, have a legit shot to win a cup before his entry into free agency

Old 07-05-2018, 11:55 AM

731 posts, read 724,718 times
Kleenex on sale at Wawa's this week.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:09 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
Sounds like Erik Karlsson to the Lightning is official. Not sure what the return for Ottawa is yet.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:24 PM

272 posts, read 184,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Sounds like Erik Karlsson to the Lightning is official. Not sure what the return for Ottawa is yet.
Saga still on-going. First it seemed Dallas had him, then Tampa and then all a sudden, silence. A key here is all these tweets regarding him are stupid fake insider twitters with no real insight. If a deal was imminent, the big guys like Dreger or McKenzie would be tweeting, but they aren't so that really should say alot.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:14 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
The way things were postedi thought he was a UFA. Isn’t he really a Restricted Free Agent?

Old 07-16-2018, 10:27 AM

5,103 posts, read 2,049,434 times
And isn't a bit ironic to see Lou Lamoriello, who was GM of the Leafs, taking the other way and he's now the new GM of the Islanders? If Lou Lamoriello menage to turn the Islanders fortunes while Tavares is now with the Leafs...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey