Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 07:50 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Well it's 3-0 Detroit with 3 minutes to go in the first. Dallas will be in major trouble if they don't get some more pressure on the Wings and get a goal soon.
I think the Wings will take this game and secure a date in the Final with the Pens.
It's now 4-0 at the end of 2 and it looks like Detroit will win the West. Detroit and Pittsburgh in the finals it looks like. Would be happier if it were San Jose vs. Washington because I've seen the wings and pens enough to last me a lifetime, plus geographically speaking, Detroit should be in the East, but hey, it's not every series you see skilled veterans go up against skilled youth. I'm going to root for Pittsburgh, and Jordan Staal, Eric Staal's younger brother.
By the way: I love the hockey handshake at the end of every playoff series end.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 05-19-2008 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 08:59 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
It's now 4-0 at the end of 2 and it looks like Detroit will win the West. Detroit and Pittsburgh in the finals it looks like. Would be happier if it were San Jose vs. Washington because I've seen the wings and pens enough to last me a lifetime, plus geographically speaking, Detroit should be in the East, but hey, it's not every series you see skilled veterans go up against skilled youth. I'm going to root for Pittsburgh, and Jordan Staal, Eric Staal's younger brother.
By the way: I love the hockey handshake at the end of every playoff series end.
I wait to watch the handshake too!!!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:56 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times
Even though the Red Wings won 4-1, they, for once, did not out-shoot their opponent. Both Dallas and Detroit had 29 shots on goal. Turco became human again and Osgood was great.

I'll be pulling for Pittsburgh over Detroit to support my conference.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:06 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Even though the Red Wings won 4-1, they, for once, did not out-shoot their opponent.
Maybe the big lead had something to do with that and all the trips to the BOX...4 on 5 for a good chunck of the game and the Wings still played Dallas even! They had a Short Handed goal and gave up one power play goal...

Old 05-20-2008, 08:07 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

The Red Wings have been playing very well. They've been out shooting their opponents by a 3:2 ratio, on average. It's just that the opposing goalies have played very well in their losses (Turco being the most recent example).

Turco was part of it, but the Wings were simply off their game, too, for a few games. They just weren't the well-oiled machine that I'm used to seeing. Bad passes, bad line changes, stupid and careless penalties (cough*Holmstrom*cough) ... and they really have missed Franzen. I'm thrilled that they were able to finally close it out last night. Hopefully, we'll bring our best for the Pens ... and it sure would be nice to have Johan back by Saturday.

Hats off to the Stars for giving us a good fight. Bring on the Pens!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:21 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
I'll tell ya this much about the Stars.... at least they got out of the first round... MAVERICKS, COWBOYS... I'm talking to you!

Any way, great season by the Stars and I'm pulling for the Penguins.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:44 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'll tell ya this much about the Stars.... at least they got out of the first round... MAVERICKS, COWBOYS... I'm talking to you!

Any way, great season by the Stars and I'm pulling for the Penguins.
You may also want to talk to the Texas Rangers to at least make it into the 1st round.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:09 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
URGH!!! I was about done typing a post and the power went out Here goes the scoop from inside American Airlines Center last night.

The Vs guys SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a bunch of arrogant JERKS!!! Learn to PRONOUNCE MODANO and the other Stars players names. If any of the Stanley Cup games are on Vs I will NOT be watching them. We are BOYCOTING THEM!!!!! And this is after having a face to face conversation with them last night. JERKS!

Stars came out FLAT! Who were those guys on the ice during the 1st and 2nd period??? That was NOT the players from the last few games or the regular season. They were HORRIBLE!! They had no zest, lust, determination, sheer power, drive.

The puck was taking some funky bounces in front of Turco all night and even in the 1st before that first "goal" I said so. It was horrible. The puck was bouncing off of players and the ice like crazy in no particular direction or such. You would have thought they were playing on a rubber surface with a rubber crazy ball. That first goal was questionable. He could have been called in the crease and it was under Marty before he kept jabbing at it and pushed it out from under him into the net. Normally if a puck is UNDER the goalie they blow a whistle. ????? I'd have said the same no matter WHO that one was on.

Dallas has been giving up shortie's throughout the playoffs. That was not just some lucky break for the rw's. Even in the 3rd period when Dallas would get on a power play some of us were saying, "We DON'T want it". Sad but true. Dallas plays MUCH better full strength than they do on a power play.

Finally someone must have told the Stars during the 2nd intermission that they were down 4-0 and this was do or die. They FINALLY showed up to play for the 3rd period. A little too late though . We were still hoping and "Believing". We had faith in them. Just not enough time to get it done. I'm glad that we did not let them sweep us at all and made them play some extra games before they go to the Cup games. That is another thing. During the playoffs Det. only played something like 11 games while Dallas played 18 games. That is A LOT of games and a HUGE difference. With each game your players get fatigued, injured, wornout, tired and frustrated. Especially when because of crappy ref's you end up in a late game that goes into two overtimes. That is another thing w/ this seasons playoffs - the ref's. THEY SUCK!!! Not just against Dallas but EVERY GAME against ALL OF the teams! That is NOT a good thing for the league.

Oh well, I'm sure the commish is happy as are the guys over on Vs. They got the teams they wanted in the playoffs. Watching the last two weeks of tv on Vs you would think Detriot was playing against no one as they NEVER advertised a promo for Dallas on the race for the Cup.

Love this sport in that at the end of the series they go out onto the ice, shake hands and can TALK civil to each other. Show me any other sport like that. We stayed for the whole trophy thing as well. I've always liked how the players don't even acknowledge that championship or even touch the trophy.

The Stars had a great season. We have a lot of young players on our team to build up for next year and the years after. They will be back

GO PENN'S!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 03:11 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
OOPS! The Det. rw fans last night at the game.

MUCH fewer than EVER at a game in Dallas against Det. No kidding. They were few and far between. Pretty quiet as well. Except the two jerks that tried to sneak down late into the game. Our usher threw'em out. They got mouthy and started acting like total jerks saying crap like they will be celebrating winning the Cup and telling Stars fans to kiss off and such. Of course we all responded back, not so easily and things like, "well you do have to live in DETRIOT so if all you have to be happy about is your hockey team".

Old 05-20-2008, 03:36 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,632 times
I agree VS sucks. "Doc" has a doctorate in broadcasting, and I guess the makes him special or something. I love watching FSN Detroit, they are much better. Detroit's bad reputation is way over rated btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey