Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:54 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,649,754 times

Advertisements

Is this terrible trend of the away team wearing white ever going to end? I understand the NHL wanted to do this for a few years, probably a marketing attempt, but enough is enough. The home team should wear white. This is one of those little pet peeves of mine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 11:56 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Agreed. It wasn't broke, so why fix it?

It's all about selling overpriced jerseys to fans. The players themselves have become a marketing tool. With the stupid alternate jersey trend, you can't sell alternate jerseys if the home crowd can't see them.

Or, you could blame it all on Al Davis (there's a lot that could be blamed on Al Davis, LOL), who bucked the trend of the home team wearing white so that his Raiders could look mean at home.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
I prefer the white away jersies more, actually. White is bland, boring. Home teams should always wear colors at home, looks nicer and makes the crowd look nicer too. Too many teams have white away jersies, and every stadium would look like a whiteout when at home.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:36 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I prefer the white away jersies more, actually. White is bland, boring. Home teams should always wear colors at home, looks nicer and makes the crowd look nicer too. Too many teams have white away jersies, and every stadium would look like a whiteout when at home.

Uhhh, all teams have white away jersies

Old 04-23-2008, 05:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Uhhh, all teams have white away jersies
Yes, youre correct. I can see where I could have confused you with my wording. Sorry, my bad.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:38 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
No hockey team should wear white jerseys at home.
That is a special tradition. A One-of-a-kind tradition that should be left for the Dallas Cowboys.
.....and the Redskins.... and Eagles, Panthers, Texans, Dolphins, Titans, Jaguars, Buccaneers, Cardinals, Major and Minor Leauge Baseball, Lacrosse?, Fort Worth,TX's North Crowley High School Panthers junior varsity football squad, and North Crowley's own hockey team....

But other than that, it's just not right...

Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
It comes down to marketing. Historically white was always for home, but when they brought in the 3rd jerseys at the end of the eighties they added some colour and alternatives. People like colourful stuff, and the hometown fans and season ticket holders want to see the splashy jerseys and "cool" jerseys at home, in person.

Take a look at all the jerseys in the NHL, any era. Teams that had a more visually appealing jersey in white than the alternate colour would be few and far between. Only a couple spring to mind, and they're all old teams. Detroit and Montreal. I'd throw the last version of the Stars in there too, but there's an awful lot of colour for a white based jersey.

By switching for darks for home, you're simply bringing the people what they want.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:48 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,649,754 times
Default I agree that it's marketing

Quote:
It comes down to marketing. Historically white was always for home, but when they brought in the 3rd jerseys at the end of the eighties they added some colour and alternatives. People like colourful stuff, and the hometown fans and season ticket holders want to see the splashy jerseys and "cool" jerseys at home, in person.

Take a look at all the jerseys in the NHL, any era. Teams that had a more visually appealing jersey in white than the alternate colour would be few and far between. Only a couple spring to mind, and they're all old teams. Detroit and Montreal. I'd throw the last version of the Stars in there too, but there's an awful lot of colour for a white based jersey.

By switching for darks for home, you're simply bringing the people what they want.
But I don't think it's what the people want. I think it's so that little Cameron, who already owns a home Datsyuk jersey, can see the away one at the game and beg for that one as well.

Cynical? Who, me?

Old 04-28-2008, 01:08 PM

717 posts, read 773,040 times
I heard there is some verified psychological reasons why the home team should wear dark colors. I will try to research.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:09 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:

Actually, this had nothing to do with why the NHL "said" they made the switch. At least not directly. As teams started wearing alternate jerseys at home, away teams were required to bring both home and away uniforms on road trips. In a post 9/11 world, this became quite the logistical headache, so the NHL thought it would be easier just to switch home teams to color all the time, so traveling teams did not have to bring home and away uniforms on long trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey