Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 05:30 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times

Advertisements

Florida is first team to clinch a spot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 07:55 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
Still need a ton of help like the Caps losing like 7 games in a row but the Isles have cut the playoff deficit to 11 points on the Caps now. They are going to run of time unfortunately, but a valiant effort on the come back. Hopefully next year Covid isn't a thing, and they certainly won't be opening the season with 13 straight road games to start so come back and get them next year.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:55 PM

All the Eastern teams have their spots locked up. Florida wins the conference and looks like they might win the Presidents trophy.

The West is a little more open. Vegas could miss for the first time ever (Wow who would have thought that in 2017?)

Old 04-26-2022, 08:27 PM

The Hurricanes are Metro division champs, something I never thought I'd see. But we here

Old 04-29-2022, 11:53 AM

Vegas misses the playoffs for the first time in their existence.

Montreal, a team that made the Stanley Cup finals last season, is the first team ever to finish in 32nd place in the very next year.

Old 04-29-2022, 11:52 PM

1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Vegas misses the playoffs for the first time in their existence.

Montreal, a team that made the Stanley Cup finals last season, is the first team ever to finish in 32nd place in the very next year.
Not surprising actually since they were the worst team to ever qualify for the finals. But I guess not having Price most of the time didn't help.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:40 AM

Speaking of the Playoffs, they begin tomorrow.

Toronto and Florida have opportunities to end their long playoff series-winning droughts (2004 and 1996). Florida I think should beat Washington though the Caps will scratch and claw every step of the way. The Maple Leafs on the other hand are facing the Champs who have come into form as the season wore down. That series I think will go the full 7 games.

Out West, it looks like we could get a Battle of Alberta in the 2nd round but I also have a feeling one of those teams is going to be eliminated before then.

But anyways, Lets Go Canes!

Old 05-01-2022, 10:14 PM

These are probably gonna be terrible, but here's my playoff picks:

Panthers over the Caps in 6 games. Not the vintage Caps, but Ovi will still win them a couple games. But I believe this Panthers team is legit, and has staying power to survive multiple rounds. We'll see if the goaltending can hold up unlike last year.

Lightning over Leafs in 7 game. This will be a great series. Playoff experience of the Lightning get them the win over the perennial choke artist Leafs. Normally, you would love home court or in this case home ice advantage in game 7, but in this series I think Tampa would have the advantage. They've already won 2 straight while Toronto hasn't won in more than 50 years. No pressure on the Lightning while all the pressure would be on the home town Leafs, especially if this is a series where the Leafs have a 2-0 or even 3-1 series lead and have to come back for a game 7.

Rangers over Penguins in 7 games. Both goaltenders are inexperienced and this is the Rangers first playoff appearance in I believe 4 years, but the Rangers look to me to have the better team, even against a Pens team that looks like they are approaching full health.

Canes over Bruins in 6 games. The Canes outscored the Bruins 16-1 in sweeping the 3 games in the regular season, and they've scored the last 11 goals between the 2 teams. Obviously, the playoffs should be closer, but I will take the Canes to advance.

Oilers over Kings in 7 games. Quick needs to stand on his head to will the Kings here. He may have one last run at the cup, but the absence of Drew Doughty is the difference in this series as the Oilers prevail in a hard fought 7 game series.

Avs over Preds in 5. Preds win 1 game in Nashville, but this Avs team is way to talented.

Stars over Flames in 6. I have to pick at least 1 underdog here to advance, and the Lightning over the Leafs certainly doesn't count, and the Blues & Wild were separated by 4 points, so that won't count either. I'm not sure about the rest of the US or Canada, but I know me personally I would LOVE to see a battle of Alberta for a trip to the WCF, but alas, I think one of the Oilers/Flames blows it, and with the absence of Doughty for the Kings, I'm leaning more towards the Flames that blow it than the Oilers.

Blues over Wild in 7 games. Blues swept the season series 3-0, but 2 of the 3 games went to overtime. Both teams are on hot streaks going into the playoffs, so I see this going the distance with the Blues prevailing on the road in game 7.

second round, CF and stanley cup predictions subject to change based on prior rounds. With my first round projections, here's what I have for the rest of the playoffs:
Panthers over Lightning in 6 games. We won't get the battle of Alberta, but we'll get a battle of Florida, and this is where Tampa's 2 year reign comes to an end.
Canes over Rangers in 5 games. Rangers might have the advantage in goal, but I think the Penguins beat up the Rangers, while the Canes have an easier time with the Bruins, so they are fresher going into the second round matchup.
Oilers over Stars in 6 games. They would have gotten the playoff monkey off their back, so they could go on a bit of a run.
Avs over Blues in 5 games. Blues challenge them, but the Avs tough it out to advance.

WCF:
Avs over Oilers in 7 games. McDavid and Draisitil will score, but the Avs match them; Avs will ramp up the defensive intensity and prevail in 7 games.

ECF:
Panthers over Canes in 6 games. Top to bottom, I believe the Panthers are a better overall team.

Stanley Cup:
Avs over the Panthers in 6 games. Not very often we get the 2 best teams in the league playing for the cup, but well, here we are. Panthers were the Presidents trophy winners, but I like the Avs team a bit more, especially in net which is usually the difference in close match ups like this one expects to be. Gabriel Landeskog, who should be back in time by the Stanley Cup rolls around skates around Ball Arena holding the Cup at the end of game 6.

Old 05-03-2022, 02:01 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Panthers over the Caps in 6 games. Not the vintage Caps, but Ovi will still win them a couple games. But I believe this Panthers team is legit, and has staying power to survive multiple rounds. We'll see if the goaltending can hold up unlike last year.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if this goes 5. Caps goaltending is the issue.

Old 05-05-2022, 12:41 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldsm0bile View Post
the wild got smoked last night. i knew the Blues would likely handle them easily. i see the Blues winning that one in 6.
... And then the Blues proceeded to get smoked last night. Those turnovers man... Holy garbage.

I see the Wild winning this in 6 lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey