Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 04:07 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Yes. Bettman announced that one team will play every other team at least once.

Still not as much as I'd like, but I'll take it.
Good, the old format was a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 11:06 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,921,648 times
That's good that each team will play every other team at least once.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:53 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,760,585 times
Totally agree on the format change!! This last season was horrible. I just wish bettman would quit experimenting. It's getting really annoying and giving the league and sport as a whole a reputation for poor stability.

Or better yet...FIRE BETTMAN!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:23 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Totally agree on the format change!! This last season was horrible. I just wish bettman would quit experimenting. It's getting really annoying and giving the league and sport as a whole a reputation for poor stability.

Or better yet...FIRE BETTMAN!!!
Every year, he tweaks some rule that has a huge effect on the game. Just LEAVE IT ALONE!

I felt so bad for Gordie Howe on the awards show last night, having to stand next to Bettman and listen to him ramble on in his usual clueless manner.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
That's good that each team will play every other team at least once.
You know what I'd like to see? It'll probably never happen, but it seems like a scheduling dream:

-- 8 games (4 home, 4 away) against each team in the division. (32 games)
-- 2 games (1 home, 1 away) against every other team in the league. (50 games)

And there's your 82-game schedule.

I know it would mean more travel, but I also think it would be a great way to grow the league's appeal in some struggling markets. Whether you love or hate the Red Wings, you know a lot of people would be excited to know they'll be coming to town at least once during the season. Same for Crosby and the Pens, or Ovie and the Caps.

I suppose it'll never happen, though.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:58 AM

Lets make some predictions here:

Most surprising team in the East for 08-09?--- Florida or Atlanta, the Panthers are overdue for a playoff spot, and the Thrashers should get better this year.

Most dissapointing team in east?- I've have to pick the Flyers

Most surprisng team in the west?--- Blackhawks should finally get in the playoffs this year. I think Columbus will compete for a spot as well.

Most dissapointing team in west?--- probably will be San Jose, they've had a Stanley Cup caliber team for a few years now, and they might be picked to win it again,but they might be struggling to get in this year.

Coach on the hot seat---Peter Laviolette

Old 06-13-2008, 10:10 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,921,648 times
Quote:
You know what I'd like to see? It'll probably never happen, but it seems like a scheduling dream:

I know it would mean more travel, but I also think it would be a great way to grow the league's appeal in some struggling markets. Whether you love or hate the Red Wings, you know a lot of people would be excited to know they'll be coming to town at least once during the season. Same for Crosby and the Pens, or Ovie and the Caps.

I suppose it'll never happen, though.
I'm with you on that! That format would guarantee the Devils would come to Dallas and I'd be able to watch my fav. team on the road w/o traveling too far. That would be like the NBA, right? But the NHL is too hellbent on overloading the schedule with division rivals.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:25 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Quote:

This is the way it should be.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:08 PM

I agree with all three of you, it would be great to have every team play everywhere at least once a year in a season. It gets old seing the same teams every week.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
I'm with you on that! That format would guarantee the Devils would come to Dallas and I'd be able to watch my fav. team on the road w/o traveling too far. That would be like the NBA, right? But the NHL is too hellbent on overloading the schedule with division rivals.
The beauty of this schedule is, the NHL gets to keep the same number of divisional games they have now -- 8 games against each divisional opponent! And out of 82 games, 52 would still be within the conference.

Somebody get Bettman on the phone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey