Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:13 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,234 times

Advertisements

STEVE-O should be wetting his pants by now!

Wrigley Field is going to be the frozen confines on New Year's Day 2009 when the defending Stanley Cup champion Detroit Red Wings meet the Chicago Blackhawks outdoors in the home park of the Chicago Cubs.
It will be the NHL's second Winter Classic. Jan. 1 in Buffalo, the Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Buffalo Sabres 2-1 before a crowd of 71,217. Snow fell during the game.
"We expect interest to be on an international level for this once-in-a-lifetime event," Blackhawks chairman Rocky Wirtz said.
The game will be televised nationally on NBC.
The matchup will be the 701st meeting between the Red Wings and Blackhawks _ no two NHL opponents have played more regular-season games against one another than the two fierce rivals.
It will mark the third regular-season outdoor game in NHL history. The Edmonton Oilers hosted the Montreal Canadiens on Nov. 22, 2003.
"The NHL is delighted to bring its most historic rivalry to one of the most historic venues in sports," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said.
Wrigley Field is the second-oldest baseball park in the major leagues behind Boston's Fenway Park. Wrigley Field opened in 1914. The park hosted two Sting concerts during the All-Star break of 2007 and patches of the outfield grass were torn and roughed up. The game could also be competing with college football bowl games for viewers.
"We've been a candidate to play in this for a long time and everybody in our organization is excited about being a part of what is becoming an annual outdoor classic," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "It's a tremendous opportunity to promote our game, our league and our team and have a one-in-a-lifetime experience at the same time."
Bettman also said the league will continue discussions with the New York Yankees and the city of New York to perhaps bring an outdoor game to the new Yankee Stadium that opens next year.

Cheers and GO WINGS!
Shawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 AM

8,800 posts, read 10,235,741 times
I like that the NHL is going to continue with these outdoor games, they'll draw high tv ratings. I hope they dont overdo it though, I'd say do two a year. One between Canadian teams in Canada, and one between USA teams. Though I'd love to see a Boston/Montreal outdoor game as those two teams have been rivals for years.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:44 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Though I'd love to see a Boston/Montreal outdoor game as those two teams have been rivals for years.
Either Habs vs Bruins or Habs vs Leafs would be killer. I never understood the Habs vs Oil in the Heritage Classic game. I wouldve rather seen the Habs vs Leafs. How cool?!?!?!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:53 AM

8,800 posts, read 10,235,741 times
I didnt either Steve-o, I think a battle of Alberta would have made a little more sense that year, but that may become a reality one day. A Habs vs Leafs outdoor game would shut down Canada for the day.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:03 PM

26,870 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I didnt either Steve-o, I think a battle of Alberta would have made a little more sense that year, but that may become a reality one day. A Habs vs Leafs outdoor game would shut down Canada for the day.
I did a double-take when I saw it would be taking place in Chicago, what with 2009 being the Montreal Canadiens’ 100th anniversary. But then I saw that Montreal was already getting the All-Star Game and the draft next season, so I guess the NHL doesn’t want to completely overdose on Montreal in 2009: All-Star Game, draft, Stanley Cup victory...

Anyway, I’d still say it’s only a matter of time before an outdoor game takes place in Montreal, although lack of a large roofless venue will be a challenge. Olympic Stadium is huge but it has a permanent roof. The other outdoor stadiums in Montreal (Molson Stadium, home of the CFL Alouettes) and the new home of L’Impact of the United Soccer League are barely larger (if not smaller) than the Canadiens’ home arena.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:42 PM

439 posts, read 1,232,049 times
Man I wish I still lived in Chicago and could go to this. Hockey outside in the cold and hopefully snow.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:18 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,440,805 times
Should have been Wings-Toronto at Michigan Stadium. 120,000 people could have had tickets and now there'll only be 40,000 at an old venue with bad sightlines. Detroit is the royal family of the NHL and they should have been allowed to host this game. Bettman sucks.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:39 PM

734 posts, read 2,616,525 times
The Big House would be f'n epic!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:36 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmontag View Post
The Big House would be f'n epic!!!
That is for sure!!!

Old 07-19-2008, 04:35 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,440,805 times
The ultimate satisfaction for me now will be for Wings fans to pack Wrigley and make it ours, which we're used to doing in Chicago anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey