Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:04 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times

Advertisements

While not precisely in the same vein as the OP was asking about, I've always thought that the NHL should have embraced a partnership with a startup pro inline hockey league for the south instead of trying to push pure ice hockey into these markets first. My reasoning is this: I don't believe there are a whole lot of casual hockey fans. The vast majority of rabid hockey fans have played the game at some level, even if it was only mites or squirts. In order to bring the sport into more mainstream levels and increase the footprint of the sport, you need to create recreational players and the lack of ice surfaces and the expense make it a very difficult sport to build in non-traditional markets. Therefore, if we could place pro teams of a more accessible version of the sport in these non-traditional markets, you have a better likelihood of building young players who will turn into rabid fans when they get older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 03:41 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
I'm in agreement with the notion that TV is the problem. Television tends to reduce sports to a narrow contest (in baseball, between the pitcher and catcher, excluding the rest of the team. In hockey, to a small-screen view of whoever has the puck, omitting all the rest of the action on the ice).

Unfortunately, we can't separate hockey from television. I think the compromise position would be to make TV executives understand--however that could be accomplished--that playing to the lowest common denominator, that is, casual viewers who don't really care about the game, isn't the best policy. And not having the season extend into mid-June wouldn't hurt, either.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,446 times
Cheaper Seats

Old 11-11-2008, 11:55 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Cheaper tickets, fewer teams, more teams in dedicated hockey markets.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:05 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,270 times
As said a few times already...ticket prices. Hockey becoming an affordable sport to go to would separate itself from the other sports

Old 11-15-2008, 07:47 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,340,294 times
I was listening to the Caps-Hurricanes game the other night on XM. The Hurricanes have a current promotion where you could buy 2 tickets in the upper bowl and get a game jersey for $239 or for the same price get one ticket in the lower bowl with the jersey.

I know that jerseys are about $75-$80, so my math tells me that the tickets in the upper bowl are $80 each and the lower bowl my ticket would be $160 I don't see too many takers on this one.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:51 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
The problem with an Olympic-size ice rink is that to make room for it the owners would have to give up four of the most expensive rows of seats in the arena to make room for the extra 4 meters of width of the ice. Not gonna happen.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:26 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
I was listening to the Caps-Hurricanes game the other night on XM. The Hurricanes have a current promotion where you could buy 2 tickets in the upper bowl and get a game jersey for $239 or for the same price get one ticket in the lower bowl with the jersey.

I know that jerseys are about $75-$80, so my math tells me that the tickets in the upper bowl are $80 each and the lower bowl my ticket would be $160 I don't see too many takers on this one.
the canes are also running a promotion of buy one get one if you donate to their food bank

the $239 promotion is their holiday pack - for $239 you get a replica jersey and either 2 upper level corner tickets to 3 games or 1 lower level north ticket to 3 games

the jersey retails for $115 - that leaves $124 for the cost of tickets to 3 games - so for the uppers you are paying about $20 (individual game price $35) a seat and for the lowers you are paying about $41 a seat (individual game price $70)

really not a bad deal at all - carolina tickets range from $25 - $200

i know phoenix doesn't draw well so that is part of the reason their ticket prices and packages are really good

even a team like the redwings have tickets at the following levels: $9, $25, $30, $38 and $48

I'm honestly curious as to where and what are considered high ticket prices to get into a game

Old 11-17-2008, 12:19 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,340,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
the canes are also running a promotion of buy one get one if you donate to their food bank

the $239 promotion is their holiday pack - for $239 you get a replica jersey and either 2 upper level corner tickets to 3 games or 1 lower level north ticket to 3 games

the jersey retails for $115 - that leaves $124 for the cost of tickets to 3 games - so for the uppers you are paying about $20 (individual game price $35) a seat and for the lowers you are paying about $41 a seat (individual game price $70)

really not a bad deal at all - carolina tickets range from $25 - $200

i know phoenix doesn't draw well so that is part of the reason their ticket prices and packages are really good

even a team like the redwings have tickets at the following levels: $9, $25, $30, $38 and $48

I'm honestly curious as to where and what are considered high ticket prices to get into a game
I see (says the blind man to the deaf man), I didn't hear the 3 game part. I used to live in Cary and go to RBC all the time which is a great venue. That's actually a very good promotion.

The Verizon Center in DC is a joke for Caps games. Poor sound quality in the upper bowl, way overpriced food. Prices are anywhere from $25-$200 and the club level is always empty.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:58 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
how is it as far as location? - i've only done the tourist thing in DC and although I've never been to an event there, it always seemed like it could be convenient

then again, that area of town always seemed to become ghostly at night, so maybe not

i went to a lot of flyers games in college, but many of those tickets were comped - the phantoms provided a great cheap alternative - the philly arena is pretty good, however i'd still say the top 2 i've seen games in are the xcel center in st. paul and jobing.com here in glendale (i just wish more people would show up to see it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey