Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:15 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,720,466 times

Advertisements

I was watching Sportsnet New York yesterday and they said something that the New York Islanders may move to Kansas City? If that is true what will they be the Kansas City Islanders? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 05:26 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,011,449 times
Yea, heard this some time back... KC has a new arena [Sprint Center], some local interest, and a highly motivated shaker-mover [Tim Leiweke] that really wants a team there too.

The Blues played an exhibition game vs the Kings this past September - 11.6k in attendance.

The Islanders and the Kings have agreed to play a preseason game this coming September.

Actually, could see either the Kings or Islanders moving there... however, is the market in KC supportive enough for such?

The man who wants to STEAL THE ISLANDERS -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/ny-spkc186003327jan18,0,3964283.story - broken link)
Quote:
... Leiweke usually gets what he wants. Last month, he was listed as the 11th-most influential person in sports by Sports Business Journal, two spots ahead of NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.

Bettman, in May 2008, said: "Few sports executives today can match Tim's vision, his sophistication and his ability to bring the future to the present. He dominates incredible challenges with apparent ease. Nobody does it better."

Leiweke's Sprint Center has six NHL-ready locker rooms, broadcast interview facilities, 72 luxury suites. It makes Nassau Coliseum look like ... well, Nassau Coliseum, cramped and outdated and in need of a serious makeover. Or a wrecking ball. ...
Charron thinks Islanders, K.C. a good fit -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/ny-spscouts186003312jan18,0,3295358.story - broken link)

Old 01-18-2009, 05:45 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,304,170 times
i think it will be a bad move because how many people watch hockey in KC

Does this Tim guy want to buy team?

Old 01-18-2009, 08:15 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Hockey in KS? Not a good move. Didnt they learn from the past?!?!?!

And the Isles? If they move from NYC, there will be HELL to pay from New Yorkers.

I dont see this happening.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,011,449 times
I believe that there is going to be some shake-up,,, but who, where, when

Phoenix Coyotes, LA Kings, NYI, Atlanta Thrashers - having various degrees of financial/ownership troubles.

A year old article: Back in the Black — The American, A Magazine of Ideas
And some newer perspective: ChrisChester Official Sports Blog - Sports Community, Blogs, Chat, RSS, OPEN Sports
and NHL's Only Hope to Solve Woes Is Contraction | Bleacher Report [and the comments therein too]

Old 01-18-2009, 09:18 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,188,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
If they move from NYC, there will be HELL to pay from New Yorkers.
Not from Buffalo! Please..... Take 'em! (lol)

Old 01-18-2009, 09:20 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,304,170 times
if the isles want to move somewhere, why not pick a place in canada that has a large population base like Quebec city, or winnipeg

Old 01-19-2009, 01:53 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,288,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And the Isles? If they move from NYC, there will be HELL to pay from New Yorkers.
They play in Uniondale and draw from the suburbs. I think a move to that scrapped Brooklyn arena could have been good, though.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:24 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,731,035 times
KC WILL have a team. Liewicke seems bound and determined. He feels he's owed a franchise from the league for his part in getting the Pens a new arena from PA. For those who don't remember, it was his ownership group's outrageous bid on the Pens that got city and state government back at the table to find a way to finance the new arena in Pittsburgh.

IMO, the past in KC is the past. I think a franchise could do well there. All the KC people say the Scouts were ill-promoted and doomed to failure. I don't know how factual that is but an NHL franchise in KC makes a lot more sense to me than one in Phoenix....

Old 01-19-2009, 04:59 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,720,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
if the isles want to move somewhere, why not pick a place in canada that has a large population base like Quebec city, or winnipeg
True Canada should have a team back. It's bad enough that Canada lost 2 or 3 teams, i think. Plus if there is going to be some east coast west coast changes, more than 1 team is goint to have to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey