Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 11:50 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Alright, Im done. There. I will promise to stop calling Detroit names, as well as baiting, so as long as you all do the same. Do we have an accord?
Sounds like a plan to me. Next time you are in Detroit, I'll even take you to my favorite Hungarian restaurant. But without my FIL, cause he really is a horses' behind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 12:10 PM

687 posts, read 2,031,956 times
Quote:
Should be "honkeytown" or "toothlesstown".

And Chicago's fans are a lot louder than Detroilet's fans, always have been, always will be. Im not sure how much common sense you have, but when youre down 6-1 in the 3rd, you dont exactly expect fans to be excited and loud.

And the Hockeytown title should have never been in Detroit to begin with. That title belongs in Toronto or Montreal looooong before Detroilet.
I wasn't only talking in Sunday's game Steve. I noticed it in the game 3 too. I was asking others if they saw the same thing.

Again...thank you for the insults to "Honkeytown" and "toothlesstown".

Old 05-25-2009, 03:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
I wasn't only talking in Sunday's game Steve. I noticed it in the game 3 too. I was asking others if they saw the same thing.

Again...thank you for the insults to "Honkeytown" and "toothlesstown".
That was before I made my bargain.

I dont know what youre talking about, but the United Center (and especially the old barn) is exceptionally loud.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:22 PM

687 posts, read 2,031,956 times
Quote:
That was before I made my bargain.

I dont know what youre talking about, but the United Center (and especially the old barn) is exceptionally loud.

I'm not saying it to get a goat of anyone. I just watch part of the games and the highlights on nhl.com, cbc.ca and espn.com and the games just seemed quieter at the UC than the others. Like the Pens fans when the Pens are at home. Canes homecrowd really tried to energize their first home game. I thought the UC was loud....but not crazy loud. Watching the Wings games, fans go nuts when they clear it out of their own zones, a hit along the boards or whatnot. That's what I meant. Ozzie makes a save and they start chanting "Ozzie" etc. Heck...I think during the Ducks series they even were chanting Pronger Sucks (I think?). I hear the crowd go nuts at the UC when the Blackhawks scored a goal or they get to have a chance at the power play.

That's what I meant when talking about home crowds is all.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:30 PM

387 posts, read 1,429,456 times
Man, I can't believe we are going to see a repeat of last year... Penguins and Red Wings in the finals. And the Red Wings will probably take it again - the addition of Hossa has made them even better, and the Penguins worse since last season - on paper that is. But I think the Penguins have a better shot this year strictly because of Malkin and Crosby being that much more experienced. I'm a Flyers fan but I can't deny it's been fun watching the Pens play these past 2 series. Malkin and Crosby are in a league of their own right now. They seem to be getting better with each passing round, picking up steam. I hate the Pens but my man crush on Malkin continues to grow- he's just so skilled and fun to watch - reminiscent of #66 with the reach and the hands.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:22 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
And the Hockeytown title should have never been in Detroit to begin with. That title belongs in Toronto or Montreal looooong before Detroilet.
What title? "Hockeytown" is a word dreamed up by an ad agency. It's not a title. Why do fans of other teams want to be called, "Hockeytown" more than they want to win the cup? Maybe that explains why Detroit keeps winning the cup.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:27 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Well how about you Detroilet fans stop singling me out in all of your posts and Ill stop attacking back. You guys cant talk hockey without your heads getting bigger it seems. If you want to talk hockey, Im game. But baiting post like these...
I would love to have more hockey conversations with other fans, but there's not too many others posting here. No desire to single you out or anything. I have enjoyed some of the conversations we've hafd so far. I agree that the baiting posts need to stop

Old 05-25-2009, 05:25 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Ok, moving past the arguments.

Well I hope my team will show up and kick some Penguin rear-end tomorrow. I'm not expecting us to win the series at this point, but I would nothing more than to make it more difficult for Pittsburgh to finish us off.

Oh yeah, and I'll be in Raleigh tomorrow, won't be at the game though, still gonna enjoy the atmosphere. So guys, Please be good

Go Canes Go!! and happy memorial day everyone

Old 05-25-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
I'm not saying it to get a goat of anyone. I just watch part of the games and the highlights on nhl.com, cbc.ca and espn.com and the games just seemed quieter at the UC than the others. Like the Pens fans when the Pens are at home. Canes homecrowd really tried to energize their first home game. I thought the UC was loud....but not crazy loud. Watching the Wings games, fans go nuts when they clear it out of their own zones, a hit along the boards or whatnot. That's what I meant. Ozzie makes a save and they start chanting "Ozzie" etc. Heck...I think during the Ducks series they even were chanting Pronger Sucks (I think?). I hear the crowd go nuts at the UC when the Blackhawks scored a goal or they get to have a chance at the power play.

That's what I meant when talking about home crowds is all.
I guess the mics just cant pick up the roar or something, because the UC is probably in the top 5 for being the loudest rink in the NHL. It used to be the loudest, but the accoustics of the UC are much different than the old Madhouse On Madison (aka Chicago Stadium lol). We dont do goalie chants at the UC hardly ever. I can only think of a few games where we've chanted "Khabi, Khabi, Khabi". We also dont taunt the opposing team's goalie either by chanting their name.

Here is a clip I took from a few years ago, this was during pregame warmups! This atmosphere continues in many sections for the entire game (click on pic to play). Warning, some "Detroit sucks" chants included:

Old 05-25-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What title? "Hockeytown" is a word dreamed up by an ad agency. It's not a title. Why do fans of other teams want to be called, "Hockeytown" more than they want to win the cup? Maybe that explains why Detroit keeps winning the cup.
Uhhh, "Hockeytown" is a title splayed out on the ice, is it not? Dreamed up by an ad agency or not, the whole "Hockeytown" moniker just doesnt belong to Detroit, thats all I was saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey