U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 PM

111 posts, read 167,123 times

Advertisements

I love Pronger ever since he dissed Lindros at the draft.

Now that canadian team was stacked as were most teams. I think that in itself is the best argument for contracting some teams in the NHL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:36 AM

17,032 posts, read 27,003,604 times
Charley Walters: USA Hockey chairman Walter Bush doesn't expect NHL players to compete in 2014 Olympics - TwinCities.com

Talk about stacked teams, in the link the head of USA hockey said the average salary on the Canadian roster was about $3 million per player more than the US team.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:23 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,469,380 times
And the significance of that would be what?

The IIHF and the IOC removed restrictions on which players a country could send to the competition and all countries presumably gathered what they considered to be their best roster.

The US chose to pass over some older, established players in favour of younger talent.

The NHL tends to underpay players at the start of a career and permit higher salaries later in a career, often when a player is on the down slide -- lots of over-paid plugs out there (Bill Guerin, Paul Kariya, etc).

Under the current NHL collective agreement, players salaries and bargaining power is limited in the early part of their career, so it stands to reason that a younger roster would have a smaller cumulative salary.

It's interesting that the gentleman quoted in the article seems to feel that the US will be in the driver's seat if the NHL declines to participate in the 2014 tournament. His rationale is that the US will simply use players from the AHL and therefore dominate.

He seems to forget that AHL players are also pros under contract who would need the approval of their NHL teams to participate ----and that the AHL isn't comprised solely of US players.

In fact, I bet Russia would benefit most from a scenario where the NHL didn't participate: the talent currently playing in the KHL outstrips the NCAA by a considerable margin.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 PM

17,032 posts, read 27,003,604 times
I agree CG, if we use AHL and such, I think the Russians would skate circles around us. I guarantee they will come out on fire for "their" Olympics. The officiating will be a bit different as well, catering to the Eurotrash style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey