U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:36 PM

21,403 posts, read 21,967,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Maybe a slight bump, and that could be short-lived. Even after Miracle on Ice, hockey was still a niche sport in the U.S., although it did seem to lead more NHL teams to take American players seriously.
May have been inevitable in the chasing of potential market bases and TV revenue, but seems as if the NHL expansion into sun belt cities began not too long after this in the early 90's; San Jose, Tampa Bay, Florida, Anaheim. Perhaps that brief (yet intense) buzz and interest initiated a perception in some of the "Money-Men" that you wouldn't necessarily have to grow up playing hockey to attend and watch the games on TV. Teams in the US went from 15 in 1979 to 25 in those next twenty years, yet Canada only added one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 02:03 PM

6,183 posts, read 4,999,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Yes....Miller is one of the best and he proved it again tonight......however, that being said don't underestimate Leighton......he has played VERY well for the Flyers and if I were Flyer GM I'd make Leighton my playoff goaltender and start getting him ready down the stretch NOW. Every year it seems we have a playoff goaltender controversary. In my estimation Leighton has taken over the #1 spot and he should be the man the rest of the way. If his play continues to shine I'd sign him as my #1 which we can probably do for a few years cheaply and look for a cheap backup. This guy is young as golatenders go as they take years to develop and is just hitting his stride now. He could be the answer to all our goaltending problems for years to come.
Yea I know what you're saying. And the last former Sabre-turned-Flyer GT didn't pan out as well as expected

Old 02-22-2010, 03:58 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,280,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Yea I know what you're saying. And the last former Sabre-turned-Flyer GT didn't pan out as well as expected

Biron was a good #2 but can't hold a candle to Miller as we found out and they are now finding out on the Island.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:57 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,400,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I'm watching this game and thinking to myself...."how in the world are crap sports like baseball, football and basketball bigger than this sport in America??" AMAZING game so far....
Well see the NHL has Gary Bettman to screw things up and well the Olympics decided have NHL players. Aka its like a 2 week all-star game.

Just like for Buffalo Ryan Miller is the savior

Old 02-23-2010, 08:05 AM

13,127 posts, read 19,990,643 times
I saw somewhere that around 60 milllion watched the game. If that's true, imagine how many would see it if it was on NBC.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:45 PM

21,403 posts, read 21,967,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I saw somewhere that around 60 milllion watched the game. If that's true, imagine how many would see it if it was on NBC.
The number that I've seen is 8.2 million, though still very high by MSNBC standards. Game 7 of last year's Stanley Cup got 8 million on NBC.

I also saw in another report that MSNBC has about 80% of the total number of households that NBC has. I would presume that the die-hard ice-dancing fans on NBC would have had a hissy-fit had they pre-empted their event with those brutal hockey ruffians and taken their Nielsen's with them.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/msnbcs-usa-canada-hockey-ratings-pretty-much-news-networks-best-ever/

I saw that the total Canadian viewers were estimated at 10.6 million becoming Canada's most watched sports event ever.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:32 PM

6,183 posts, read 4,999,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Biron was a good #2 but can't hold a candle to Miller as we found out and they are now finding out on the Island.
Whatever happened to Rick Dipietro?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 PM

13,127 posts, read 19,990,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
The number that I've seen is 8.2 million, though still very high by MSNBC standards. Game 7 of last year's Stanley Cup got 8 million on NBC.

I also saw in another report that MSNBC has about 80% of the total number of households that NBC has. I would presume that the die-hard ice-dancing fans on NBC would have had a hissy-fit had they pre-empted their event with those brutal hockey ruffians and taken their Nielsen's with them.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/msnbcs-usa-canada-hockey-ratings-pretty-much-news-networks-best-ever/

I saw that the total Canadian viewers were estimated at 10.6 million becoming Canada's most watched sports event ever.
thanks for the correct numbers. I was just going to post them but now I don't need to..

Old 02-24-2010, 05:20 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,373,257 times
I feel real, real bad for Canada if they lose here.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,280,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I feel real, real bad for Canada if they lose here.
Canada is up 4-1 over Russia at teh start of the 2nd period with Luongo in net. Brodeurs sub-par play almost cost Canada their shot at the gold. Brodeur plays best where the coach uses a defense first system....take him out of that or when the Devils defense is overwhelmed and hes an average at best goaltender......he only faced 22 shots against the US and gave up 4 goals. Hes had the advantage of playing his entire career within a defense first system with the Devils and when their defense wasn't so good they didn't even make the playoffs some years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey