U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:25 PM

12,388 posts, read 11,651,934 times

Advertisements

WooHoo 50 year comeback!!!

█ ♥ █ Go CANADA Go! █ ♥ █

2 more games to GOLD!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 AM

4,285 posts, read 14,440,563 times
Slovakia pulls off the upset of the tournament by edging defending gold medalist Sweden 4-3 to advance to the semi-finals versus Canada.

The Slovaks also beat Russia in a shoot-out earlier in round-robin play.

Combined with the US's very narrow win over Switzerland, it really shows any team can win on any given night, so the "favourites" better be on their toes or they'll be joining Russia and Sweden on the sidelines wondering where it all derailed.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:53 PM

4,577 posts, read 7,078,067 times
I find it difficult to get all excited about NBC and the media trying to make this into another "Miracle on Ice" if the US wins the gold. It is completely different because all the players now are professinals, which IMO, completely ruined the Olympics, especially hockey. When the 1980 team won, it was exciting because they were all young college kids truly playing for their country.

Now they are all professionals, who basically choose which country they want to play for, and I might as well be watching the Mapleleafs play the Rangers, just one bunch of pros playing another.

Thanks, I needed to get that off my chest!

Old 02-25-2010, 01:03 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,819,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
When the 1980 team won, it was exciting because they were all young college kids truly playing for their country.
Only partially. The fact that they beat the Soviets was bigger. Yes, the old Soviet team was practically a professional team, but the political overtones of the victory were greater than the David vs. Goliath aspect.

For the most part, though, you're spot on. This would not exactly be the equivalent to Miracle on Ice, although it should be noted that, like that team, this U.S. squad was not expected by many to medal. So, even if the U.S. fails to win the gold, a silver or bronze would still be a great achievement.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:59 PM

687 posts, read 1,860,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I find it difficult to get all excited about NBC and the media trying to make this into another "Miracle on Ice" if the US wins the gold. It is completely different because all the players now are professinals, which IMO, completely ruined the Olympics, especially hockey. When the 1980 team won, it was exciting because they were all young college kids truly playing for their country.
I somewhat agree with you. Not to mention NBC hyping up and they have either not played the games on NBC or I've missed them. I don't have cable and have been really REALLY bummed on the coverage of NBC of hockey.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:33 PM

13,127 posts, read 19,994,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
I somewhat agree with you. Not to mention NBC hyping up and they have either not played the games on NBC or I've missed them. I don't have cable and have been really REALLY bummed on the coverage of NBC of hockey.
Watch them online (http://www.myp2pforum.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=66 - broken link). They also show the games live at nbcolympics.com

Old 02-25-2010, 07:15 PM

30,934 posts, read 31,828,921 times
Canadian girls go gold!

Old 02-26-2010, 03:45 AM

38 posts, read 87,284 times
I am really enjoying the Olympic hockey. It's a shame that it's not getting a great deal of coverage, mainly because there is no British team taking part.

USA to win!

Old 02-26-2010, 07:52 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,723,585 times
Canada's women hockey team, aka Dykes on Ice
Photos from Yahoo! Sports coverage of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver_
Chugging beer and smoking cigars on the ice even after the place empties. Real classy.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:13 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,819,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Chugging beer and smoking cigars on the ice even after the place empties. Real classy.
Oh, seriously. That story is getting way overplayed. They won the gold, they earned the right to celebrate. The IOC needs to get a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey