U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,807,188 times

Advertisements

Though it was a great game by the Flyers, I agree they need to stay on top of their game to win.

Fortunately, I think their coach isn't one to let the players get complacent. He is a pretty intense guy.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:21 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,363,480 times
Hawks win game one for the first time this post season...well done. Hoping to go up 2-0 on Tuesday, I want them to just take the drama out of this series.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 PM

13,103 posts, read 19,938,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Hawks win game one for the first time this post season...well done. Hoping to go up 2-0 on Tuesday, I want them to just take the drama out of this series.
The refs provide the drama for the Sharks.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:54 PM

1,966 posts, read 3,849,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
WTF are you talking about ? The first two games of that series were very close. The Flyers were not dominated and shut down in blow out fashion in any of their games against Boston. What the hell have you been watching, besides golf strokes and Craps players' tee times ?
I've been watching Hockey thank you very much. Your Flyers were one goal away from playing golf so get off your high horse. Just because they shut out the Habs doesn't mean they are holding a parade down Broad Street. What happened yesterday can equally happen to you tomorrow.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:57 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,272,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
I've been watching Hockey thank you very much. Your Flyers were one goal away from playing golf so get off your high horse. Just because they shut out the Habs doesn't mean they are holding a parade down Broad Street. What happened yesterday can equally happen to you tomorrow.

Part of what you say is true......we almost didn't make the playoffs but if you look at why that was you would see that we lost our #1 and #2 goaltenders (Emery & Leighton) down the stretch and lost valuable points with our #3 goaltender (Boucher) in net.....and of coure other injuries like Carter being out didn't help. With Leighton back in net and players like Gagne returning from injuries (Carter within a week or so too) we are a much better team than the one that barely made the playoffs. While I'm not planning the parade route yet is was clear to see last night that Montreal was frustrated in not being able to play the system they wanted resulting in all the dumb penalties. Lavioletts aggressive forecheck system coupled with an aggressive defense just overwhelmed the Canadiens generally smaller players. This isn't about "playing better" in the second game for Montreal.....unless Montreal coaching can adjust their game plan and overcome the Flyers aggressive forecheck they are probably going to get steamrolled again.....you can't allow the other team to dominate your defensive zone and expect to win unless your goaltender "steals" the game and while Halak is capable of that based upon last nights performance of the defense in front of him I don't think thats possible.....the Flyers were just on the Montreal defense too quick causing too many mistakes

Old 05-17-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Part of what you say is true......we almost didn't make the playoffs but if you look at why that was you would see that we lost our #1 and #2 goaltenders (Emery & Leighton) down the stretch and lost valuable points with our #3 goaltender (Boucher) in net.....and of coure other injuries like Carter being out didn't help. With Leighton back in net and players like Gagne returning from injuries (Carter within a week or so too) we are a much better team than the one that barely made the playoffs. While I'm not planning the parade route yet is was clear to see last night that Montreal was frustrated in not being able to play the system they wanted resulting in all the dumb penalties. Lavioletts aggressive forecheck system coupled with an aggressive defense just overwhelmed the Canadiens generally smaller players. This isn't about "playing better" in the second game for Montreal.....unless Montreal coaching can adjust their game plan and overcome the Flyers aggressive forecheck they are probably going to get steamrolled again.....you can't allow the other team to dominate your defensive zone and expect to win unless your goaltender "steals" the game and while Halak is capable of that based upon last nights performance of the defense in front of him I don't think thats possible.....the Flyers were just on the Montreal defense too quick causing too many mistakes
I agree with your points, your team was physically beat up with injuries. All I am saying is that the Flyers played a great game last night, no argument there; however, the team the Flyers played last night was not the same team that beat both the Caps and Pens. If that team that played last night went against the Caps then it would have been a sweep by the Caps as everyone including myself predicted. IIRC, I think Hal Gill was injured early in the game and didn't return. The defense didn't use it's shot blocking techniques that frustrated both Ovechkin and Crosby and Halak gave up goals that were pretty easy granted he was screened by Hartnell et al.

Now if the Habs don't make adjustments and return to the form that got them where they are then it will be a one-sided affair as the Flyers have the killer instinct now that they have made the comeback. I do think that Martin will make some adjustments as he did when the Caps took game 3 of their series in convincing fashion so I don't personally see another beatdown like last night.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
the team the Flyers played last night was not the same team that beat both the Caps and Pens.
I hear what your saying but heres my point. The Canadiens were the same team last night as went against Washington and Pittsburgh. Its the same coach, same players and same system. The difference is that system the Flyers are playing under Laviolette just didn't let the Canadiens play their system as they wanted to. Thus, the frustration and all the penalties the Canadiens took. If the Canadiens can deal with the pressure from Laviolettes aggressive forechecking and get the puck out of their zone quicker then they have a chance.....but.....the Canadien defense is smaller and banged up and honestly not much of a match for the size and speed of the Flyer forwards. Will the next game be 6 - 0.....I doubt it but I still see the smaller Canadiens having trouble getting out of their own zone and trouble getting past the size and speed of our defense. Basically, the Canadiens just don't match up well against the Flyers. Check back to the home and home match just before the Olympics and you'll see the Flyers handled them fairly easily in both games then too. Its easy to think the Canadiens will bounce back in game two and forget the other night......but I really doubt the Canadiens can easily forget being crushed 6-0 without a few doubts creeping in....especially Halak......the pressure is really on them now......if they fall down 2 - 0 its pretty much over, especially if the score is lopsided again....despite beating Washington and Pittsburgh Montreal is in the position that they now need to "prove" themselves and tomorrow night is already a "must win" game for Montreal.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:38 PM

Default Game 2 Flyers - Canadiens

FLYERS 3 MONTREAL 0

Orange Crush stones Montreal again !!!!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:45 PM

They definately have the mojo despite being outshot 16-6 in the first and 10-7 in the second; however, they won where it counted and that was on the scoreboard. Habs mailed it in 3rd period, the third goal was just ridiculous.

Well onto Hawks-Sharks, should be a good one.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 PM

Looks like the Hawks are going back with a 2-0 lead. Only 2 minutes left and Sharks going on PK down 4-2. Could it be the Hawks year????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey