U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 12:33 AM

6,183 posts, read 4,993,936 times

Advertisements

Kate Smith = best singer ever
Kelly Clarkson can suck it!

Old 06-05-2010, 10:47 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,367,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I see....so when Chicago wins its all talent no luck and good officiating!
Huh? Where did I say that? Flyers got away with murder this game, I'm not the only one saying this. Even Flyer fans in other forums I post in are saying this, but as you have shown, grasping non-homer views is not exactly your strong suit.

I do give credit to Leighton though, he was pretty impressive at times. I also in a way credit Pronger, I have no idea how he can work the officials so perfectly and manage to get away with it, but he has been doing it for a long time, nothing new here. He is doing a good job of shutting down the Hawks front line with his "skills"

Old 06-05-2010, 11:16 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,276,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Huh? Where did I say that? Flyers got away with murder this game, I'm not the only one saying this. Even Flyer fans in other forums I post in are saying this, but as you have shown, grasping non-homer views is not exactly your strong suit.

I do give credit to Leighton though, he was pretty impressive at times. I also in a way credit Pronger, I have no idea how he can work the officials so perfectly and manage to get away with it, but he has been doing it for a long time, nothing new here. He is doing a good job of shutting down the Hawks front line with his "skills"
Look.....when you whine that the other team is "lucky" and the officials are on the Flyers side by purposely not calling penalties on them that implies that Chicago would have won all games if not for those suggestions. That accusation is just absurd as we both know that there is not a conspiracy among the refs against Chicago and to even suggest this may be the case only wreaks of desperation to explain the current Chicago situation. Game one and two were very close and could have went either way but Philly has stepped up their game while Chicago is still playing at the same pace as games one and two. The bottom line is that a) Leighton has been better than Niemi b) Philadelphia D has been better than Chicagos c) Philly special teams have been better than Chicagos scoring on their power plays while completely shutting down Chicagos power plays except for a 5 on 3 e) the Philly scorers have found a way to break through and score while Kane and Toews have been pretty much shut down and finally f) Philly is wearing Chicago down by dumping the puck in deep and making the defense work harder against the aggressive Philly forecheck....Chicago also struggles to break out through the neutral zone easily....and Chicago can't seem to get shots through on Leighton with Philly blocking over 20 shots last night....Chicago hasn't played a team yet with this aggressive system except for Nashville who had some success with it but didn't have the firepower to make it work. Chicago D tires as the game progresses and is tired going into the 3rd period......this is when Philly has taken control of the game....it shows through frustration and the dumb penalties they are taking. Chicago coaching needs to alter their game plan to get the puck out of their zone easier in game 5 to have any hope for success because I can tell you from the Philly perspective that the Flyers smell blood. After losing the first two games in Chicago the pressure was on Philly to win at home now ALL that pressure has shifted to Chicago....lets see if they can handle the pressure as well as Philly did ?

Old 06-05-2010, 12:56 PM

Why can you say game one and two were close but then fail to mention game 3 was also? One could only claim that Philly "dominated' last night if they were short sighted enough to only look at the score sheet and say "ZOMG they were up 4-1," 2 of the goals were horrid (like, epic fail) mistakes by hjalachalcamerson (give philly credit, they capatilzed on it, but it was not via domination), and another real bad mistake by Versteeg. It was Chicago failing, and they most certainly did fail moreso then Philly being this all time great team you keep trying to hock them as.

Honsetly, the penalites Chicago have taken have been dumb, but are penalties that are often overlooked. Philly has been good, Chicago has been bad, and Philly has been fortunate. The combination of those three have led to this 2-2 tie.

For anyone who hasn't seen it there is a great pic of Pronger on Yahoo sports this morning that shows him cross checking, while highsticking, with the ref looking right at him and no call. It's priceless.

and

Quote:
when you whine that the other team is "lucky" and the officials are on the Flyers side by purposely not calling penalties on them that implies that Chicago would have won all games if not for those suggestions.
lol, no it does not. That is not only putting a word in my mouth, but like whole paragraphs.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Why can you say game one and two were close but then fail to mention game 3 was also? One could only claim that Philly "dominated' last night if they were short sighted enough to only look at the score sheet and say "ZOMG they were up 4-1," 2 of the goals were horrid (like, epic fail) mistakes by hjalachalcamerson (give philly credit, they capatilzed on it, but it was not via domination), and another real bad mistake by Versteeg. It was Chicago failing, and they most certainly did fail moreso then Philly being this all time great team you keep trying to hock them as.

Honsetly, the penalites Chicago have taken have been dumb, but are penalties that are often overlooked. Philly has been good, Chicago has been bad, and Philly has been fortunate. The combination of those three have led to this 2-2 tie.
What has led to this 2-2 tie is that Philly has taken its game to the next level and Chicago hasn't. Chicago is still in 3rd gear and Philly is in overdrive with their foot on Chicagos neck. Chicago now needs to react and adjust their game plan to counteratack the Philly forecheck in game 5 and deal with the pressure of losing a
2-0 lead and the doubts that will most certainly creep into the collective minds of the team and Niemi. Its that simple. If they don't expect more of what you saw in game 4. If Philly scores first in game 5 Chicago can pretty much kiss the Cup goodbye.
For anyone who hasn't seen it there is a great pic of Pronger on Yahoo sports this morning that shows him cross checking, while highsticking, with the ref looking right at him and no call. It's priceless.

and

lol, no it does not. That is not only putting a word in my mouth, but like whole paragraphs.
Game one was a run and gun shoot out that neither coach wanted nor benifited either team. Chicago won that game by virtue of literally being the last one to score. Game two could have honestly went either way. Game three despite going into overtime Philly clearly widely outshot Chicago and out played Chicago in the third period and overtime literally almost scoring twice in overtime. Chicago was gassed from the third period on in game 3. Game 4 Philly just overwhelmed the Chicago D from the drop of the puck on and by the third period the Chicago D was gassed again making mental mistakes through frustration and taking dumb penalties. As far as penalties not being called that all evens out as the series goes on. Theres no use whining that Pronger is too rough on your "fragile" Chicago players. Chicago could have traded last summer at the draft to get Pronger too but they didn't. Philadelphias GM, Holmgren, knew exactly what he was trading for....a Stanley Cup warrior who plays 30+ minutes a game and can make the difference between winning and losing. The Stanley Cup finals and this series in particular is a WAR. If you don't bring the right warriors to fight the battle theres no use crying about the outcome. Just like Tom Hanks said about baseball.................theres no crying in hockey either !!!

Last edited by FlyersFan; 06-05-2010 at 03:03 PM..

Old 06-05-2010, 03:33 PM

1,966 posts, read 3,851,082 times
Another good performance by the Flyers last night. Just my observations, but they seem to want it more than the Hawks right now. Again, the Hawks are giving up the pucks and the Flyers are capitalizing on their mistakes.

Kane and Byfuglien have been no-shows this series whereas the Flyers are getting goals from everyone (Richards, Leino, Briere, etc). Hawks should be very concerned right now.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Another good performance by the Flyers last night. Just my observations, but they seem to want it more than the Hawks right now. Again, the Hawks are giving up the pucks and the Flyers are capitalizing on their mistakes.
Agreed, but the Hawks just aren't "giving" up pucks....they are being pressured into making mental mistakes and bad puck handling/passing decisions. This is a direct result of the Flyers aggressive in your face forecheck.
Kane and Byfuglien have been no-shows this series whereas the Flyers are getting goals from everyone (Richards, Leino, Briere, etc). Hawks should be very concerned right now.
The Hawks need to adjust their game plan to relieve the pressure in their defensive zone for game 5 and Kane, Byfuglien and especially Toews need to show up in force too. Pronger and the Flyer defense has pretty much shut them down, especially when Byfuglien goes anywhere near the net. The rest of the Hawks players don't even seem to want to venture anywhere near the net and Pronger or the slot and prefer to take their shots from the perimeter. Philly has handled the pressure of being down 2-0 well and thrown it back in Chicagos face....lets see how well Chicago and Niemi handle the pressure in literally a MUST win game 5 situation for them ? My money is on the Flyers !!!

Old 06-05-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Game one was a run and gun shoot out that neither coach wanted nor benifited either team. Chicago won that game by virtue of literally being the last one to score. Game two could have honestly went either way. Game three despite going into overtime Philly clearly widely outshot Chicago and out played Chicago in the third period and overtime literally almost scoring twice in overtime. Chicago was gassed from the third period on in game 3. Game 4 Philly just overwhelmed the Chicago D from the drop of the puck on and by the third period the Chicago D was gassed again making mental mistakes through frustration and taking dumb penalties. As far as penalties not being called that all evens out as the series goes on. Theres no use whining that Pronger is too rough on your "fragile" Chicago players. Chicago could have traded last summer at the draft to get Pronger too but they didn't. Philadelphias GM, Holmgren, knew exactly what he was trading for....a Stanley Cup warrior who plays 30+ minutes a game and can make the difference between winning and losing. The Stanley Cup finals and this series in particular is a WAR. If you don't bring the right warriors to fight the battle theres no use crying about the outcome. Just like Tom Hanks said about baseball.................theres no crying in hockey either !!!
Theres a shock, you directly refute nothing I said with substance, but this time you put it in BOLD. I vote we call this the "pronger" approach...can't beat 'em with substance beat 'em with NOISE

I somewhat kid...it has been an entertaining series, and I really love the city of Philly (spent many weekends there and my father grew up there, he is torn up over this series) and I am probably overly sour as it sucks to watch your team lose in the Stanley Cup. I just wish you could say sometimes "hey we got a call," or "Chicago made a real bad mistake." It just seems like you are overly homer when it comes to the Flyers, but I enjoy your passion at the very least.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:13 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,894,190 times
Eurotrash on defense is a shaky deal at best. Hjalmorsssonn was on the ice flatfooted on 3 goals in game one then 2 in game 4. He's young, but dude put your body on someone. HUGE game tonight.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Theres a shock, you directly refute nothing I said with substance, but this time you put it in BOLD. I vote we call this the "pronger" approach...can't beat 'em with substance beat 'em with NOISE

I somewhat kid...it has been an entertaining series, and I really love the city of Philly (spent many weekends there and my father grew up there, he is torn up over this series) and I am probably overly sour as it sucks to watch your team lose in the Stanley Cup. I just wish you could say sometimes "hey we got a call," or "Chicago made a real bad mistake." It just seems like you are overly homer when it comes to the Flyers, but I enjoy your passion at the very least.
I've been following the Flyers since the early 70s Broad Street bully days....thats almost 40 years.....I watched them win the Cups and Crush the Red Army team in 1976 when no other NHL club could do better than a tie. I watched them set the sports unbeaten record at 35 games in 1980 but also watched them play for the Cup serveal times again losing to the Islanders, the Oilers and Detroit. Now we're playing for the Cup again and yes I'm a HOMER !!! Thats what being a fan is....supporting a team through the years of ups and downs.....but this year in particular having overcome so much will be especially sweet should the Flyers prevail !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey