U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-19-2010, 02:34 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,510 posts, read 3,276,673 times
Reputation: 621

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighappy987 View Post
Congrats.. we played like cr@p and you won but I would save the gloating until you've booked your place in round 2. It's unlikely we'll play as badly tomorrow as we did on Sunday...

LGD!

Did you ever stop to think that the reason the Devils are "underperforming" is because the Flyers are outperforming the Devils and I'm going to give you two reasons why. One is Kovalchoke....he played 27 minutes last night and all of the first period 4 minute power play. No forward, no matter how good.....not Gretzky....not Lenieux.....plays those minutes. Every one knows that you play short shifts in the playoffs so you don't get caught tired at the end of a long shift but for some reason Lemaire and Kovalchoke think he expempt from "team" play. The second is that the Devils play a very defensive system under Lemaire....its his trademark.....but under Laviolette the Flyers play a very aggressive forecheck pressure the puck in your facce fast tempo system that just isn't allowing the Devils time to do what they want to do in getting out of their own zone. The proof is in the game but especially the overtime. At a time when the Devils needed offense they were pinned in their own zone and outshot 10-1 in overtime and 34-19 in regulation. If it wasn't for Brodeur making great save after great save the score would have been much worse. Unless the Devils make some adjustments in their "system" Brodeur is going to have to win this series for the Devils.....that being said hes capable of doing it.

 
Old 04-19-2010, 02:45 PM
 
1,966 posts, read 3,851,082 times
Reputation: 1088
Yesterday sure was fun. Carcillo puts the Flyers up 2-1 as Devils PK expires, Pens took the wind out of the Sens sails with their win, Blackhawks were pretty tough in their shutout win over Nashville evening that series, Coyotes looked tough at the Joe in retaking the series lead.

Then we get to the finale, wife and I are watching Anderson making save after save. OT starts and we had to rewind the DVR after Boyle "scored" and we just shook our heads Crazy end to a game.

3 on the agenda tonight. Sabres at Bruins, Caps at Habs and Canucks at Kings. Getting the snacks ready
 
Old 04-19-2010, 03:38 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,588 posts, read 22,440,666 times
Reputation: 13879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Then we get to the finale, wife and I are watching Anderson making save after save.
There was more scoring going on at a Star Wars Convention than on my Avs goalie Anderson.

 
Old 04-19-2010, 07:02 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,070,398 times
Reputation: 2625
Sharks all the way!
 
Old 04-19-2010, 08:52 PM
 
1,966 posts, read 3,851,082 times
Reputation: 1088
All righty then, a nice win by the Caps 5-1 over the Habs to take a 2-1 series lead. Boston gets a late goal by Patrice Bergeron to beat Buffalo 2-1 to lead that series.

Kings and Canucks tied at 1-1 after the first period. Looks like another close one.
 
Old 04-20-2010, 05:26 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
61 posts, read 123,824 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Did you ever stop to think that the reason the Devils are "underperforming" is because the Flyers are outperforming the Devils and I'm going to give you two reasons why. One is Kovalchoke....he played 27 minutes last night and all of the first period 4 minute power play. No forward, no matter how good.....not Gretzky....not Lenieux.....plays those minutes. Every one knows that you play short shifts in the playoffs so you don't get caught tired at the end of a long shift but for some reason Lemaire and Kovalchoke think he expempt from "team" play. The second is that the Devils play a very defensive system under Lemaire....its his trademark.....but under Laviolette the Flyers play a very aggressive forecheck pressure the puck in your facce fast tempo system that just isn't allowing the Devils time to do what they want to do in getting out of their own zone. The proof is in the game but especially the overtime. At a time when the Devils needed offense they were pinned in their own zone and outshot 10-1 in overtime and 34-19 in regulation. If it wasn't for Brodeur making great save after great save the score would have been much worse. Unless the Devils make some adjustments in their "system" Brodeur is going to have to win this series for the Devils.....that being said hes capable of doing it.
All valid points and is a big reason why in the playoffs you can throw out the seedings (you mentioned the 2v7 in a previous post). It all comes down to matchups and the Flyers match up VERY well against the Devils. We have the individual talent but it will all count for naught if Lemaire doesn't address the issues detailed here and in the Jersey forum.

Perhaps we should have tanked against Buffalo after all

Trying to stay optimistic and hoping they can turn it around tonight..
 
Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Buffalo, NY
1,620 posts, read 2,398,647 times
Reputation: 499
SAbres lost again. Love the ass kissing by the refs. Completely one sided
 
Old 04-20-2010, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Arizona
3,664 posts, read 5,552,582 times
Reputation: 2269
I say Blackhawks all the way and plus I am from Chicago hehe. The only competition I see for the Hawks is Washington.
 
Old 04-20-2010, 02:52 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,510 posts, read 3,276,673 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighappy987 View Post
All valid points and is a big reason why in the playoffs you can throw out the seedings (you mentioned the 2v7 in a previous post). It all comes down to matchups and the Flyers match up VERY well against the Devils. We have the individual talent but it will all count for naught if Lemaire doesn't address the issues detailed here and in the Jersey forum.

Perhaps we should have tanked against Buffalo after all

Trying to stay optimistic and hoping they can turn it around tonight..
this is not just the playoffs.....the Flyers won the regular season series against the Devils 5-1.....Lemaire is still plays a very defensive "trap" type of game that worked ok prior to the lock out but the game has changed since then and Lemaire hasn't. Unless Lemaire changes his system I doubt the Devils will fare much better.....you can't keep playing the same system and losing but expecting different results from game to game.
 
Old 04-20-2010, 07:29 PM
 
2,790 posts, read 5,704,700 times
Reputation: 1927
Wings shut out upstart Coyotes. Wo-hoo! Series tied 2-2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top