U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 07:29 AM

660 posts, read 1,329,304 times

Advertisements

You sound like a guy that's still bitter over seeing him send your team home the past few years.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:25 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
You sound like a guy that's still bitter over seeing him send your team home the past few years.

Yup....thats me....Mr. Bitter with my team one game away from advancing to the Cup finals while Pittsburgh is still scratching their head wondering "what happened" Yes, we were eliminated by Pittsburgh last year in 6 games for the first time ever....hardly enough to be bitter over. If you want to contemplate the true meaning of the word "bitter" then perhaps you might wish to check out Pittsburghs record against the Flyers over the years, regular season and playoffs......that would make a Saint bitter.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:04 AM

6,183 posts, read 4,989,654 times
OP = epic fail

Old 05-23-2010, 08:25 AM

Ummmm....we were talking about Sidney Crosby and the bad rep he gets. Bringing up stuff that happened long before he was a Penguin is just off topic.

I was saying that you seem to dislike Crosby (as most Flyer fans do) because he's scored more points against the Flyers than any other team in the league. He's said he feeds off the hate that Flyer fans heap on him, so that's rather counter-productive.

Personally, I'm not bitter at all after two SCF appearances and winning it last season. I never expected to win it twice in a row..... and said that all season.

PS: You haven't won anything yet until you win the Cup. If my memory serves me right, it's been since 1975 since that happened. Haven't the Pens won 3 of them in that same span of time?

Old 05-23-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
Ummmm....we were talking about Sidney Crosby and the bad rep he gets. Bringing up stuff that happened long before he was a Penguin is just off topic. Ahhhh....I see....we can only talk about the span of history that you wish to ? All the ass kickings that the Flyers laid on the Penguins over the decades are off limits ?

I was saying that you seem to dislike Crosby (as most Flyer fans do) because he's scored more points against the Flyers than any other team in the league. He's said he feeds off the hate that Flyer fans heap on him, so that's rather counter-productive. In general Flyers fans appreciate the talent Crosby has, however, he loses points because of all his whining. No one respects that no matter how good you are or what team your on. You don't hear Flyers like Lappierre crying "Whaaaa I lost my teeth" when he was hit in the mouth by a puck and lost several while blocking a shot. Despite his talent Crosby would be better suited in a less physical activity like "tea and crumpets" than hockey if hes going to continue his whining.....not only does he lose respect of the fans but his team mates and certainly those he competes against. No one likes or respects a whiner.

Personally, I'm not bitter at all after two SCF appearances and winning it last season. I never expected to win it twice in a row..... and said that all season. Me thinks thou doth protest too much.

PS: You haven't won anything yet until you win the Cup. If my memory serves me right, it's been since 1975 since that happened. Haven't the Pens won 3 of them in that same span of time?
The Flyers are consistantly near the top of the league in standings, rarely miss the playoffs and at a minimum are either a dark horse contender for the Cup or a true contender despite picking at the bottom of the draft every year. It sure helps when a team like the Penguins literally stink for long periods and then have the advantage of getting to pick first in the draft to choose a Mario or a Crosby ?

Old 05-23-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
The Flyers are consistantly near the top of the league in standings, rarely miss the playoffs and at a minimum are either a dark horse contender for the Cup or a true contender despite picking at the bottom of the draft every year. It sure helps when a team like the Penguins literally stink for long periods and then have the advantage of getting to pick first in the draft to choose a Mario or a Crosby ?

LOL...that's typical Flyer fan delusion!

"Near the top in league standings" and $4.00 will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. You got into this season's playoffs by ONE shoot out goal.

The Draft?

That's the way the league's draft is set up isn't it?

That's the same way the NFL's draft is set up isn't it?

Besides, the Flyers haven't been "near the bottom" of the draft every year either.

The majority of the Penguin team has come from their farm system anyhow.

BTW: Your earlier statement about eliminating the Flyers in 6 being the first time? Well, I suppose that is technically correct when you say "6", but in '07-'08 the Pens eliminated the Flyers in 5.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:37 AM

As far as any "whining" goes....Richards and Carcillo do their fair share. The Flyers also have TONS of diving calls in comparison.

Team captains DO talk to the Refs...it's their job.

He loses repect of his teammates? Hardly....that's pure fantasy. Sid is supremely respected by his teammates.

And, polls done by Hockey News polling players have picked Crosby as a player they'd most like to have on their own teams.

I could also name 25 players around the league I've seen go down with some tough injury, eat a puck, and return to play. That certainly is more of a hockey player thing than it is a Flyer thing.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Ahhhh....I see....we can only talk about the span of history that you wish to ? All the ass kickings that the Flyers laid on the Penguins over the decades are off limits ?
I'll explain how this works....

I read this whole thread and didn't respond to anything anyone said EXCEPT the meme about Crosby.

So when you are replying to what I said about Crosby, things that happened before he was even in the NHL really is going off topic with me and you are changing the subject.

It's really pretty simple.

I do however not like to see the historical record altered, so when you say something untrue, I will correct that.

For example you saying that the Flyers were always near the top and implied that they never ever would use the system to their advantage in the draft.

Feel free to Google this:

Damien Cox of ESPN has an article floating around the internet which says that the Flyers deliberately tanked the '06-'07 season:

Quote:
"......after all, is this was a 101-point team in 2005-06, the first season after the lockout. The drop-off from there -- 55 points -- was actually greater than the improvement this season, 39 points.

The Flyers ended up with a league-worst record because that was their intent; or, at least, there was an organizational willingness to absorb the big hit, to gut the club if it meant repositioning it for the future."
Hey...who knows? Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. No one would be dumb enough to publicly admit that.

But it does also show that they weren't always at the top of the league or a contender and that there is a strong possibility that they may have tanked in order to get a high draft pick.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:48 AM

WOW.....3 successive defensive posts from Mr. JRTurner defending his whining post season playoff flop Penguins.....sounds like someone hit a nerve with their prior posts ?

Old 05-23-2010, 03:28 PM

No actually....three posts that address three different falsehoods that you posted.

I prefer to keep things organized and not all run together.

Good try (I guess?) though for when you have nothing to rebut in any of them.

BTW....can you prove what you JUST SAID about "his post season playoff flop Penguins" whining? I'd love to read some quotes of ANY Penguin whining (with links of course). I haven't even met or read a single Pens fan whining about it. We leave whining about league conspiracies, biased reffing, injuries, and disallowed goals to fans of places like Philadelphia, Washington, and Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey