U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Who is your favourite fighter?
Andrew Peters 0 0%
Eric Godard 0 0%
Riley Cote 4 25.00%
Jody Shelley 0 0%
Trevor Gillies 1 6.25%
Ben Eager 0 0%
Brad May 0 0%
Wade Belak 0 0%
D.J. King 0 0%
Jared Boll 0 0%
Chris Neil 0 0%
Shawn Thornton 0 0%
Colton Orr 2 12.50%
Darcy Hordichuk 1 6.25%
David Koci 0 0%
Brian McGrattan 0 0%
Derek Boogaard 5 31.25%
Zack Stortini 1 6.25%
Brad Staubitz 0 0%
Paul Bissonnette 0 0%
Raitis Ivanans 0 0%
George Parros 1 6.25%
Krys Barch 0 0%
Eric Boulton 0 0%
Zenon Konopka 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2010, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,193,381 times
Reputation: 2488

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I'll give you Bob Probert out of those two....he was tough and could score.....Domi was just an ass who frequently fought at the wrong time and hurt his team.
Domi was good for 5-7 goals most years. Vukota was on my Islanders was barely ever scoring but protected the offense. Baumgartner also teamed up well with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2010, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Sweden
23,770 posts, read 65,893,616 times
Reputation: 18335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I see a bunch of wuss' on the list. What about Tie Domi, Bob Probert, Mick Vukota? The present tough guys can't hold a candle.
This poll is only about fighters from this season.
I will do an all time poll later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,193,381 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
This poll is only about fighters from this season.
I will do an all time poll later.
Glad to hear it. I don't consider what they're doing now fighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 05:44 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,510 posts, read 3,276,198 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Domi was good for 5-7 goals most years. Vukota was on my Islanders was barely ever scoring but protected the offense. Baumgartner also teamed up well with him.

5 to 7 goals ? Geeze....the guy who sells ice cream in the stands scores 5 to 7 goals !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2010, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,193,381 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
5 to 7 goals ? Geeze....the guy who sells ice cream in the stands scores 5 to 7 goals !!!
For a pure fighter 5-7 goals really isn't bad. My guy Vukota wasn't getting that year to year.
Tie Domi #28 RW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2010, 08:28 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,510 posts, read 3,276,198 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
For a pure fighter 5-7 goals really isn't bad. My guy Vukota wasn't getting that year to year.
Tie Domi #28 RW

Pure fighter ? Dave Schultz scored 20 goals in his best year ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2010, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,193,381 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Pure fighter ? Dave Schultz scored 20 goals in his best year ?
Boy you don't know much about the evolution of the game do you? In the early years the caliber of players varied from solid to crap and the league also had very few rules. In modern times players have become more well rounded when it comes to defense especially. A guy like Schultz who was on a dirty Flyer team had it easy. Most teams weren't well balanced and considering the fear they struck into many players made it easier as well. After those Flyer teams, the rules were SIGNIFICANTLY changed to avoid such illegal play. Schultz in todays game would be lucky to score 5-7.
By the way, Domi in his best year scored 15 and i'm not a fan of his or his teams but I know a top notch goon when I see one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2010, 03:05 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,510 posts, read 3,276,198 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Boy you don't know much about the evolution of the game do you? In the early years the caliber of players varied from solid to crap and the league also had very few rules. In modern times players have become more well rounded when it comes to defense especially. A guy like Schultz who was on a dirty Flyer team had it easy. Most teams weren't well balanced and considering the fear they struck into many players made it easier as well. After those Flyer teams, the rules were SIGNIFICANTLY changed to avoid such illegal play. Schultz in todays game would be lucky to score 5-7.
By the way, Domi in his best year scored 15 and i'm not a fan of his or his teams but I know a top notch goon when I see one.

Based upon your post above I would suggest that its you that is unfamiliar with the "evolution" of the game. When the Flyers came into the league in 1967 they were allowed to pick from unprotected players on other original 6 teams rosters and the draft ....and of course who leaves quality players unprotected ? No one.....so the Flyers started with young unproven drafted players and a group of unprotected misfit players. We were beaten on the score board and physically night in and night out......thats when Ed Snider, the owner, grew tired of this and gave the order to draft and sign players that could not only score but break a few noses too. He said he could swallow losing a game but didn't want to see his team beaten up and physically intimidated anymore. The Flyers growth into the Broad Street Bullies was the evolution of the game in that era....the 6 new teams added in 1967 found it difficult to compete with the talent of the original 6 without adding the intimidation factor and thats exactly what happened,.....only the Flyers did it best. They may not have had the "best players" but they had the "best team". The difference between your goon "Domi" and the Flyers were that our "enforcers" could score too. I would also suggest that your way off base that a player like Schultz couldn't score today........if he scored 20 in an era where hooking, clutching, grabbing and interference was typical in the NHL and also sat in the penalty box for 470 minutes one year imagine what he would be capable of in todays game where thats been removed.....add in the intimidation factor that would give him the "time and space" you always hear as a necessary ingredient to scoring goals and your theory is blown out of the water ! Finally, the Flyers certainly didn't invent fighting and intimidation in hockey but they did perfect it to thrive in an era when fighting and intimidation was necessary to survive in the NHL and welcomed by the fans. As long as fighting is "allowed" in the NHL every team will love to have a Dave Schultz on the roster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,193,381 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Based upon your post above I would suggest that its you that is unfamiliar with the "evolution" of the game. When the Flyers came into the league in 1967 they were allowed to pick from unprotected players on other original 6 teams rosters and the draft ....and of course who leaves quality players unprotected ? No one.....so the Flyers started with young unproven drafted players and a group of unprotected misfit players. We were beaten on the score board and physically night in and night out......thats when Ed Snider, the owner, grew tired of this and gave the order to draft and sign players that could not only score but break a few noses too. He said he could swallow losing a game but didn't want to see his team beaten up and physically intimidated anymore. The Flyers growth into the Broad Street Bullies was the evolution of the game in that era....the 6 new teams added in 1967 found it difficult to compete with the talent of the original 6 without adding the intimidation factor and thats exactly what happened,.....only the Flyers did it best. They may not have had the "best players" but they had the "best team". The difference between your goon "Domi" and the Flyers were that our "enforcers" could score too. I would also suggest that your way off base that a player like Schultz couldn't score today........if he scored 20 in an era where hooking, clutching, grabbing and interference was typical in the NHL and also sat in the penalty box for 470 minutes one year imagine what he would be capable of in todays game where thats been removed.....add in the intimidation factor that would give him the "time and space" you always hear as a necessary ingredient to scoring goals and your theory is blown out of the water ! Finally, the Flyers certainly didn't invent fighting and intimidation in hockey but they did perfect it to thrive in an era when fighting and intimidation was necessary to survive in the NHL and welcomed by the fans. As long as fighting is "allowed" in the NHL every team will love to have a Dave Schultz on the roster.
I'll break it down for you. Sidney Crosby in todays game is scoring 40+ a season. In the past he would have scored much less because physical was mostly what mattered and he would have been beaten senselessly with what would be considered illegal today. Needless to say he wouldn't have lasted long in the league. Because of todays rules, the intimidation factor doesn't matter as much and Schultz WOULDN'T have been allowed to do most of illegal goon crap. Needless to say, he would have been comparable to Domi at best.
For your information, you showed me what the game WAS and not what it evolved into today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 02:33 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,510 posts, read 3,276,198 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I'll break it down for you. Sidney Crosby in todays game is scoring 40+ a season. In the past he would have scored much less because physical was mostly what mattered and he would have been beaten senselessly with what would be considered illegal today. Needless to say he wouldn't have lasted long in the league. Because of todays rules, the intimidation factor doesn't matter as much and Schultz WOULDN'T have been allowed to do most of illegal goon crap. Needless to say, he would have been comparable to Domi at best.
For your information, you showed me what the game WAS and not what it evolved into today!

Whats needless to say is that your conclusions are way off base but I'll say it anyway......Your conclusions are way off base !!! Shoulda, coulda, woulda, maybe, might, possibly all mean nothing in wondering what Schultz might accomplish today. The bottom line is that Schultz did score 20 goals at the peak of the clutching, grabbing, hooking and interference era of the NHL. If, by your own admission, Crosby would score much less back then it makes Schultz's accomplishemts of 20 goals all that more significant. While intimidation isn't as great of a factor today it still remains a factor and being a physically intimidating player gains you time and space that a Crosby just doesn't get. As far as the "illegal goon crap" goes it was part of the game back then and the NHL clearly looked the other way in allowing it to happen through the the expansion years until enough talent was developed to supply the new teams. The "illegal goon crap" wasn't legal back then either as evidenced by Schultz's record 472 penalty minutes one year but the Flyers had excellent penalty killing and it was rare when Schutz went to the penalty box alone....it takes two to fight so he didn't put his team down a man all that often. Finally, having a physically intimidating enforcer that can score 20 goals is every GMs dream and Schultz did just that. As far as what the game has evloved into today....well.....at last check it seems that EVERY team still has at least one player thats considered an enforcer to trot out the "illegal goon crap" when needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top