Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite fighter?
Andrew Peters 1 5.88%
Eric Godard 0 0%
Riley Cote 4 23.53%
Jody Shelley 0 0%
Trevor Gillies 1 5.88%
Ben Eager 0 0%
Brad May 0 0%
Wade Belak 0 0%
D.J. King 0 0%
Jared Boll 0 0%
Chris Neil 0 0%
Shawn Thornton 0 0%
Colton Orr 2 11.76%
Darcy Hordichuk 1 5.88%
David Koci 0 0%
Brian McGrattan 0 0%
Derek Boogaard 5 29.41%
Zack Stortini 1 5.88%
Brad Staubitz 0 0%
Paul Bissonnette 0 0%
Raitis Ivanans 0 0%
George Parros 1 5.88%
Krys Barch 0 0%
Eric Boulton 0 0%
Zenon Konopka 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:32 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I don't remember his playing time per game average but Bob Probert:

1987-88 Goals- 29, Assists- 33, PIM- 398, selected for the NHL All-Star Game.

He was just never the same player after he was forced to try to deal with his cocaine habit.
Probert was on Yzerman's line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 03:30 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Probert was on Yzerman's line.

Probert was a player, scorer, enforcer that any coach would love to have on his team.....he would have fit in well with the Flyers too but that being said I wonder what type of stats Schultz would have had playing on a first line with a center like Yzerman or Clarke rather than a Flyers 4th line with limited minutes ?

Old 05-20-2010, 05:10 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
So.....now you have dumped Domi in favor of Nystrom ? Doesn't matter.......sure i'm a Flyers fan but unless your just plain blind clearly Schultz was a better choice as an enforcer than Domi. If you wish to get picky and claim his 470 penalty minute year he only scored 9 goals thats fine because the year he scored 20 goals his penalty minutes were 348. Additionally, Domi only reached 29 total points once while Schultz had a few years with point totals in the 30s.....so.....not only could he score a few goals but he could add a few assists too. Furthermore, in Domi's best year of 15 goals he only had 171 penalty minutes.....half that of Schultz. Your trying to make a comparison between Domi and Schultz and there is none......its apples to oranges....except with Domi....then its coconuts !!!
Well i'm guessing that your own argument applies here then. Maybe Schultz was dumb and took bad penalties for his team and that's why his penalty minutes went up and goals were less than half. I definitely never said Domi was a brain surgeon and I wasn't dumping Domi for Nystrom. Just showing how some people favor their own more. By the way,the OP it was about fighting not goal scoring.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Well i'm guessing that your own argument applies here then. Maybe Schultz was dumb and took bad penalties for his team and that's why his penalty minutes went up and goals were less than half. I definitely never said Domi was a brain surgeon and I wasn't dumping Domi for Nystrom. Just showing how some people favor their own more. By the way,the OP it was about fighting not goal scoring.

OK....then if its all about "fighting" Domi doesn't even belong on the list unless your counting quanty insteady of quality.....theres far too many "heavyweights" with more "credentials" who were feared than Mr.Domi. Believe me......Domi was not a heavyweight and he certainly wasn't feared by anyone. Being in a lot of fights doesn't count for much unless you win a few and Domi was more of a punchee than the puncher even thought he always acted like he won every fight by indicating he was buckling up the heavyweight belt after fights....what an A** he was.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
OK....then if its all about "fighting" Domi doesn't even belong on the list unless your counting quanty insteady of quality.....theres far too many "heavyweights" with more "credentials" who were feared than Mr.Domi. Believe me......Domi was not a heavyweight and he certainly wasn't feared by anyone. Being in a lot of fights doesn't count for much unless you win a few and Domi was more of a punchee than the puncher even thought he always acted like he won every fight by indicating he was buckling up the heavyweight belt after fights....what an A** he was.
I'm an Islander fan which means I hate Toronto because of all the cheap shots that the Leafs inflicted during the playoffs, especially during the Lafontaine and Peca years. That being said, Domi was definitely feared but there are, like you said at least 1 or 2 goons for most teams so he wouldn't stand out like the way your team of goons of the early years did.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I'm an Islander fan which means I hate Toronto because of all the cheap shots that the Leafs inflicted during the playoffs, especially during the Lafontaine and Peca years. That being said, Domi was definitely feared but there are, like you said at least 1 or 2 goons for most teams so he wouldn't stand out like the way your team of goons of the early years did.

Perhaps Domi might have been feared if your teams forwards was comprised of players the size of leprechauns like LaFontaine and Peca but I can assure you that Domi was never feared by anyone in Philadelphia.....in fact....he was quite often the butt of jokes regarding his on ice behavior and verbal comments in general.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Perhaps Domi might have been feared if your teams forwards was comprised of players the size of leprechauns like LaFontaine and Peca but I can assure you that Domi was never feared by anyone in Philadelphia.....in fact....he was quite often the butt of jokes regarding his on ice behavior and verbal comments in general.
No one feared him on the Flyers because half your team was brain dead too. Going a little off topic here but no one every thought Domi was ever going to win any spelling bees in his life either.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
No one feared him on the Flyers because half your team was brain dead too. Going a little off topic here but no one every thought Domi was ever going to win any spelling bees in his life either.

The "brain dead" team you refer to is one of the most successful teams in the league over the years.......that doesn't happen with brain dead players or brain dead management which the Islanders seem to suffer with chronically. While the flyers may not win the cup every year its a VERY rare occasion that they don't make the playoffs or are not at least a dark horse contender for the cup and quite often a serious contender. Strictly between hockey fans it baffles me that you continue to offer support to a marginal goon like Domi ?

Old 05-21-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
The "brain dead" team you refer to is one of the most successful teams in the league over the years.......that doesn't happen with brain dead players or brain dead management which the Islanders seem to suffer with chronically. While the flyers may not win the cup every year its a VERY rare occasion that they don't make the playoffs or are not at least a dark horse contender for the cup and quite often a serious contender. Strictly between hockey fans it baffles me that you continue to offer support to a marginal goon like Domi ?
Marginal,no. As for my Islanders, we knew we were destined for crap when we saw who was picked as our GM. Most fans including myself hate Garth as GM and loved when Neil Smith and Ted Nolan were previously hired. I like what they are doing now with building up all the young talent and i'm sure in the offseason we will be making a solid move for free agents and we will be even more competitive; but we are still the smaller market team with the Rangers nearby. We are also in a building that is about to colapse. Hopefully the nassau county government will sign on for the Lighthouse Project so they can get the new arena soon. We also weren't one of the original franchises but we did win four straight and not too many teams can say that.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Marginal,no. As for my Islanders, we knew we were destined for crap when we saw who was picked as our GM. Most fans including myself hate Garth as GM and loved when Neil Smith and Ted Nolan were previously hired. I like what they are doing now with building up all the young talent and i'm sure in the offseason we will be making a solid move for free agents and we will be even more competitive; but we are still the smaller market team with the Rangers nearby. We are also in a building that is about to colapse. Hopefully the nassau county government will sign on for the Lighthouse Project so they can get the new arena soon. We also weren't one of the original franchises but we did win four straight and not too many teams can say that.

The Flyers certainly weren't an original 6 either but through excellent ownership and management managed to win the Cup in just 7 years. Additionally, our owner didn't whine about the building his team played in as he build the building his Flyers played in with his own money... BOTH of them. If you don't have the money to run with the big dogs don't get involved and then whine about money and building condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey