U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,362,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm a Pole.
lulz, poll.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:34 PM

308 posts, read 671,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
I think it will come down to goaltending, and the Flyers have the advantage.

Can you please explain how this is true?

Old 05-26-2010, 09:12 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,272,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UICJohn View Post
Can you please explain how this is true?

Simple....the playoff stats tell the story. Leighton is #1 in the playoffs for both save percentage (.948) and goals against average (1.45). While Nieme is second behind Leighton with a goals against average well over two at 2.33 Nieme is a distant 5th in the playoffs with a save percentage of .921 thats behind Anderson of Colorado, Miller of Buffalo and Halak of Montreal and you see what the Flyers did to Halak while putting up 3 shutouts against him ?

Old 05-26-2010, 11:23 PM

308 posts, read 671,213 times
And as I see in the other thread, the opponent factor (Boston and Montreal compared to San Jose and Vancouver) doesn't mean much. I'll just leave it at Flyers fans are happy with their goaltending situation and Chicago fans (including myself) are more than happy with ours.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UICJohn View Post
And as I see in the other thread, the opponent factor (Boston and Montreal compared to San Jose and Vancouver) doesn't mean much. I'll just leave it at Flyers fans are happy with their goaltending situation and Chicago fans (including myself) are more than happy with ours.

Thats fine with me also.....but you can't erase the fact that the goalies Philly faced were among the league best in Brodeur, Rask and Halak. All three defenses were literally overwhelmed by the aggressive, in your face, pressure the puck, physical forecheck system that Laviolette has the Flyers playing. The bottom line is that if Chicago can overcome or find a solution to play against that type of system then it will be hard for the Flyers to win but if they can't or the Flyers have mixed success with it then it will be a tight series. So far NJ, Boston and especially Montreal who eliminated Washington and Pittsburgh couldn't find an answer to deal with it ?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 AM

660 posts, read 1,328,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Simple....the playoff stats tell the story. Leighton is #1 in the playoffs for both save percentage (.948) and goals against average (1.45). While Nieme is second behind Leighton with a goals against average well over two at 2.33 Nieme is a distant 5th in the playoffs with a save percentage of .921 thats behind Anderson of Colorado, Miller of Buffalo and Halak of Montreal and you see what the Flyers did to Halak while putting up 3 shutouts against him ?
Leighton also has played far less playoff games than Niemi...DA?

At least compare apples to apples next time. If Leighton had the losses to Boston when Boucher was in net and had played every game of every series like Niemi, he wouldn't be have those stats. Do the math.

Everyone knew Montreal and Halak were playing way over their heads and the Fairy Tale would end...it was just a matter of time.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
Leighton also has played far less playoff games than Niemi...DA?

At least compare apples to apples next time. If Leighton had the losses to Boston when Boucher was in net and had played every game of every series like Niemi, he wouldn't be have those stats. Do the math.

Everyone knew Montreal and Halak were playing way over their heads and the Fairy Tale would end...it was just a matter of time.

Actually if you do your homework Leighton was posting similar stats in the regular season before he was injured with a high ankle sprain and lost 10 weeks at the end of the season. Leighton was ready to go when when Boucher was injured in the Boston series and stepped back into net and continued to play as well and better than he had before the playoffs. Sorry to burst your bubble but Leighton has been posting great stats for some time now not just in the playoffs. And, as one looks for in a great playoff team both the Flyers and Leighton have stepped up their game in the playoffs. Anyone can get lucky and get a shutout from time to time but 3 in one series isn't luck.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:11 AM

Ahhhhh....but YOU said his PLAYOFF stats were better than Niemi.

If you do the math, considering that Niemi has played in all the playoff games while Leighton didn't, you'd see that his stats are deceiving.

It's an unfair comparison that you used and that truth should be pointed-out.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
Ahhhhh....but YOU said his PLAYOFF stats were better than Niemi. And they are ?

If you do the math, considering that Niemi has played in all the playoff games while Leighton didn't, you'd see that his stats are deceiving.
Numbers don't lie.

It's an unfair comparison that you used and that truth should be pointed-out.
The "truth" is about to land on your and Chicagos heads.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:26 PM

BTW.....save and goals against percentages are pretty meaningless. It's much more important for a goalie to make the right saves at the right time. A goalie can win a game with lousier stats than the other goalie and visa versa.

I guess you've never seen a team win despite having fewer shots on goal before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or