Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 02:14 PM

18,408 posts, read 31,536,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2007 View Post
Bwa-ha-ha... News to my clients, they all want granite in their kitchens!

LOL, that's fine, then let them buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 08:59 PM

476 posts, read 1,674,025 times
Just saying... if granite is out they forgot to tell the masses, as they still seem to want it! Most of the other surfaces being pushed (concrete, metal) are too urban for most.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:22 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,019,141 times
I have granite not because it is "in" or "out" but because it is functional, beautiful and easy to maintain. I like the look of butcherblock, tile and marble - today's laminates are beautiful too. I have seen concrete counters that I thought were interesting and unique - not what I would want but I can see the appeal.

It isn't that I am so single minded that I have to dismiss every other counter material or declare my hatred for certain counters because I must have granite - I like granite the best for counters in my kitchen because of its functionality and uniqueness of each group of slabs but I like other materials too. My granite is completely different than anyone I know - I like that. It is neutral and could go with many styles - I like that. It is from nature and not composed in some lab - I like that. Whether it is in or out is of no consequence - fortunately I get to choose what works best for me and what appeals to me and I don't feel the need to declare at every chance my hatred for what others find appealing.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:49 AM

2,394 posts, read 2,967,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I like granite the best for counters in my kitchen because of its functionality and uniqueness
I've heard this so many times, that people like granite for its functionality. How is its functionality any better than any other surface material? To me its too hard and cold and I would prefer solid surface for functionality, not that a new counter is in my near future.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:37 AM

Then don't buy it. You seem to have made up your mind - your mind is closed on the subject. Good for you.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:32 PM

476 posts, read 1,674,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
I've heard this so many times, that people like granite for its functionality. How is its functionality any better than any other surface material? To me its too hard and cold and I would prefer solid surface for functionality, not that a new counter is in my near future.
How is its functionality any better? Well, for starters it is heat resistant. You can pull a scorching pan from the oven or stove and set it directly onto the granite... no worries. Laminates and plastic based surfaces, not so much.

If it is properly sealed and something is spilled it will not stain. Laminates? Not so much.

No dents, no scratches, no dulling of the surface. It can be buffed back to high shine, no problem. Laminates, not so much.

Granite is chemical resistant. Manufactured surfaces, not so much.

For resale, homebuyers are looking for it. Laminates? Yep, you got it... not so much.

Not saying it is the choice for everyone, but the above characteristics have made it so popular. Form should always FOLLOW function.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:59 AM

2,394 posts, read 2,967,975 times
Quote:
Then don't buy it. You seem to have made up your mind - your mind is closed on the subject. Good for you.
Funny, I thought I was being open-minded about it, open to hearing some good arguments for it. I usually read that people love it or hate it based soley on its looks. It makes me wonder how many people actually cook in their kitchens.

And thank you brooks2007 bringing up some really good points to consider. That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
To me its too hard and cold and I would prefer solid surface for functionality, not that a new counter is in my near future.
I don't care to argue with you - it sounds to me like you have made up your mind and all you want to do is argue and have opportunities to let people know how much you don't like granite. If you read through this entire thread there are many statements as to why people like granite and how it functions. You are one of those that doesn't like granite because you "prefer solid suraces for functionality," and because granite is "hard and cold". And you thought that those statments are "open minded"????

You clearly don't like granite - you just want to argue. I see nothing further that needs to be discussed with you regarding granite.

Last edited by Cattknap; 12-19-2010 at 04:04 PM..

Old 12-19-2010, 05:18 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,308,103 times
Quote:
I have granite not because it is "in" or "out" but because it is functional, beautiful and easy to maintain. I like the look of butcherblock, tile and marble - today's laminates are beautiful too. I have seen concrete counters that I thought were interesting and unique - not what I would want but I can see the appeal.

It isn't that I am so single minded that I have to dismiss every other counter material or declare my hatred for certain counters because I must have granite - I like granite the best for counters in my kitchen because of its functionality and uniqueness of each group of slabs but I like other materials too. My granite is completely different than anyone I know - I like that. It is neutral and could go with many styles - I like that. It is from nature and not composed in some lab - I like that. Whether it is in or out is of no consequence - fortunately I get to choose what works best for me and what appeals to me and I don't feel the need to declare at every chance my hatred for what others find appealing.
Quote:
How is its functionality any better? Well, for starters it is heat resistant. You can pull a scorching pan from the oven or stove and set it directly onto the granite... no worries. Laminates and plastic based surfaces, not so much.

If it is properly sealed and something is spilled it will not stain. Laminates? Not so much.

No dents, no scratches, no dulling of the surface. It can be buffed back to high shine, no problem. Laminates, not so much.

For resale, homebuyers are looking for it. Laminates? Yep, you got it... not so much.

Not saying it is the choice for everyone, but the above characteristics have made it so popular. Form should always FOLLOW function.
I've had laminate in the past-relocated and able to afford to granite,which is the norm in our neighborhood. Love it-minimal maintenance and is beautiful-little maintenance-resealed after 2 years and just did it to do it

Old 12-27-2010, 09:22 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,782,392 times
Quote:

Form follows Function.
Design rule number 1.

I have granite and LOVE IT! It is exactly as you say. Super easy in the kitchen, easy to work on and with, easy to clean and maintain. I'm also a designer and granite has been around forever as have many other natural solid surfaces. Solid slab marble is another product that has been used in kitchens for many years because of the function aspect of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating