Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:20 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Of course my analogy does have everything to do with what you are talking about. Using opposites to make a point is a typical way to show logic in comparisons. You are saying that a house is just something you live in and z"things" don't make you happy. I'm saying that living in harmonious surroundings does contribute to a person's mood and wellbeing - I can testify to that. Living in squalor does not promote feelings of wellbeing and happiness. Harmonious surroundings versus squalor - comparison - get it. The ying and yang of how surroundings can impart feelings of wellbeing or discontent, or just a lack of being content.

Please read my post again - what I said was that if you are already happy, then I think you automatically are drawn to surroundings that promote that feeling of wellbeing and reenforce your happy state. Therefore surroundings are important at least to some of us. That is why all these people on this forum come here - their surroundings are important to them - things matter to them to some degree. Surroundings may not in and of themselves make our lives happy - but our physical environment and what is contained in that environment contributes to happiness or discontent.

I can see that you don't understand and that is fine. There are some of us who do.
For what it is worth Cat, I totally get your point.
A house is a home. We furnish it in the way in which it makes our house feel like a home to us and our family. We surround ourselves with things that make us feel like "home", make us happy, provide purpose, etc. None of these material things have to be expensive at all. They can be simple and inexpensive or things we have been given that have been passed down from one generation to the next. A little something that we always remembered being in our grandparents homes that we saw everytime we were there. The quilt that a great-grandmother made that is simply layed across the foot of a bed.

And yes, a clean home does make me feel better and does give me a sense of being at ease and peaceful surroundings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 11:07 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Thanks Mom of 2! The things in my home that I cherish most are not expensive but they have memories....agree with you completely.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:38 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
I've heard this so many times, that people like granite for its functionality. How is its functionality any better than any other surface material? To me its too hard and cold and I would prefer solid surface for functionality, not that a new counter is in my near future.

I like granite just as much as the next person.

But, I too want to know how does it function better than laminate?, which I have and have had for the last 15 years and still looks like brand new, I still prepare meals on it, cut things on it and do the same things I would do on granite....so I don't get how granite functions better?????

am I missing something here.................

Old 12-30-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2007 View Post
How is its functionality any better? Well, for starters it is heat resistant. You can pull a scorching pan from the oven or stove and set it directly onto the granite... no worries. Laminates and plastic based surfaces, not so much.

If it is properly sealed and something is spilled it will not stain. Laminates? Not so much.

No dents, no scratches, no dulling of the surface. It can be buffed back to high shine, no problem. Laminates, not so much.

Granite is chemical resistant. Manufactured surfaces, not so much.

For resale, homebuyers are looking for it. Laminates? Yep, you got it... not so much.

Not saying it is the choice for everyone, but the above characteristics have made it so popular. Form should always FOLLOW function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I like granite just as much as the next person.

But, I too want to know how does it function better than laminate?, which I have and have had for the last 15 years and still looks like brand new, I still prepare meals on it, cut things on it and do the same things I would do on granite....so I don't get how granite functions better?????

am I missing something here.................
See the post just above yours that I quoted. It explains it all.

You can not just sit a hot pan or pot on laminate or it will burn. You can on granite.

I can chop till the cows come home in one spot on a granite counter and not have so much as a knick. You really can not cut directly on laminate or you will cut it up and knick it. You have to use a cutting board if you have laminate. One should NEVER cut anything directly on a laminate counter. You can on granite.

Laminate can stain, granite does not. I can pour out red wine or a whole bottle of red food coloring on granite and leave it and come back to clean it up the next day and it will not have stained one bit if it was sealed. Laminate, not so much.

If you mar up any part of a laminate counter you can not have it buffed out as the only top thin veneer is the actual color.

Overall, the functionality of granite is far superior to laminate.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
See the post just above yours that I quoted. It explains it all.

You can not just sit a hot pan or pot on laminate or it will burn. You can on granite.

I can chop till the cows come home in one spot on a granite counter and not have so much as a knick. You really can not cut directly on laminate or you will cut it up and knick it. You have to use a cutting board if you have laminate. One should NEVER cut anything directly on a laminate counter. You can on granite.

Laminate can stain, granite does not. I can pour out red wine or a whole bottle of red food coloring on granite and leave it and come back to clean it up the next day and it will not have stained one bit if it was sealed. Laminate, not so much.

If you mar up any part of a laminate counter you can not have it buffed out as the only top thin veneer is the actual color.

Overall, the functionality of granite is far superior to laminate.
-I have a chopping block, I use that, it isn't that big of a deal, plus then I put it in the sink and wash it.

-Well, I would never put a scorching hot pot on granite either, I would probably leave it on the stove, till it cools.

-I don't drink red wine, so I wont spill it.

-I do bake cookies once a year, I do use red food coloring, and have never spilled it in over 15 years on my counters.

...............and while I am not disputing anything you wrote, because I do agree with you, it just isn't enough or even that important to me to have to have granite.

But, that is just my opinion. Maybe some day when I finally make up my mind on my new kitchen remodel I will consider it. But I am so confused right now with all the cabinet choices, I don't see it happening anytime soon. LOL

and I don't see granite happening any time soon either.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:29 PM

Well, you did want to know the functionality differences between granite and laminate and we listed them. There is a HUGE difference. It is all around 100% more durable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
-I have a chopping block, I use that, it isn't that big of a deal, plus then I put it in the sink and wash it.

With granite you do not need a chopping block. You can chop away directly on the counter and not worry about doing any damage to it. I packed my chopping block away a long time ago.

-Well, I would never put a scorching hot pot on granite either, I would probably leave it on the stove, till it cools.

This is the thing with granite. You take something out of the oven and need to get it out or off the stove quick you don't have to worry. You can just sit it down without having to worry about doing any damage to your countertop. With laminates you have to put it on a hot pad or trivet. When I first got granite counters I did the same thing, still used a hot pad......after awhile you get used to not needing them and realize that it IS durable and can take it directly. And, I can't always leave everything on the stove till it cools as I may need the space for something else.

-I don't drink red wine, so I wont spill it.

It's an example. It could be anything that can stain that could get spilled. We entertain often and it really is super easy to clean up and I don't have to worry about guests spilling and staining or anything.

-I do bake cookies once a year, I do use red food coloring, and have never spilled it in over 15 years on my counters.

I have made 3 red velvet cakes from scratch in the last 2 weeks. Red food coloring is in my kitchen constantly. If a drop happens to fall as it did last week when I was teaching my 12 year old how to make the cake and she was doing all the work...... I don't have any worries. It won't stain and my kids can make a mess or whatever and it is easy to clean up without doing any damage to the countertops. We can roll out pastry, cookies, etc and have a ball and not worry about doing any damage to the countertops.

Things DO spill. With granite you don't have to worry about staining or having a surface that is pourous like laminate.

...............and while I am not disputing anything you wrote, because I do agree with you, it just isn't enough or even that important to me to have to have granite.

I've had it for 8 1/2 years now and LOOOOOOOVE IT! Would not go with anything else ever after having it and living w/ it day in and day out. I bake and cook like a fool, especially in the holidays and granite far surpasses laminate in every which way when it comes to durability and functionality in the kitchen.

But, that is just my opinion. Maybe some day when I finally make up my mind on my new kitchen remodel I will consider it. But I am so confused right now with all the cabinet choices, I don't see it happening anytime soon. LOL

and I don't see granite happening any time soon either.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:32 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
I'm way late to this thread and it's so long that I only skimmed it - but countertops made from recycled materials are the "in" thing now. At least in the PNW where we live. At our old place in Washington state ours were made from recycled paper and we loved them. I miss them.

Here's a link: Eco-friendly Kitchen Countertops - Sunset.com

Old 12-30-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Well, you did want to know the functionality differences between granite and laminate and we listed them. There is a HUGE difference. It is all around 100% more durable.

yeah yeah yeah I know, I know.

I know the differences between the both of them,

but, still not important enough for me to have granite when laminate works just as good.

I have never had any of those experiences with scorching pots or the drop-sies to really say, "hey, I better get granite".....for it's durability.

I don't know, maybe I am a careful cooker, or maybe I just eat out to much. LOL

and as far as a chopping block, it really isn't a big deal to take it out of a cabinet and use it.................

Old 12-30-2010, 03:21 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,985,263 times
Of course if people are as serious about their knives as they are about their countertops, they would never cut on a granite surface.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:25 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Of course if people are as serious about their knives as they are about their countertops, they would never cut on a granite surface.
My thoughts exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating